Author Topic: No diagnosis yet  (Read 1846 times)

Mawsky

No diagnosis yet
« on: January 16, 2011, 09:38:51 PM »
Hi, I am awaiting my blood work, to confirm or not what is going on with my eyes. I've been to my reg. Eye Dr three times, and the opthamologist, and now family Dr. Who I saw when I discovered my eyes were not just dry, but arid, I am unable to produce any tears at all when I cry.  I am really scared, and freaked out right now.  I don't have any other symptoms, and don't know what to expect.  Everything I read just mentions a reduction of tears, never someone not being able to cry tears. My lacrimal glands are swollen, but only can tell when I pull back the lid on one eye.  Has anyone else experienced this total lack of tears? 

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: No diagnosis yet
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 09:43:21 PM »
Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of good information here.  Most of us have experienced very dry eyes.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Sha

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 09:53:54 PM »
Sorry you had to find us this way....but welcome to the treehouse...It is a great place to get some insight:

Here is a site that lists eye disorders alphabetically:

http://www.ivy-rose.co.uk/References/category_index.php?id=27

Maybe one of these could give ya some more info

I believe sjogren's can cause this....it causes just about anything and everything :o
Sha

Crymeariver

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 10:11:06 PM »
Hi Mawsky,

Personally, I haven't cried with tears since 2001 so it isn't totally freaky or unusual.  Ok, maybe it is a little strange but at least you're not alone.  

Did the doctors perform the Schirmer test with the strip of tissue paper in the eye to measure dryness?  My dryness fluctuates depending on the level of inflammation or allergies I have.  My results in the Shirmer test has varied from 1mm to 10mm (when pregnant) over the years.  Sometimes I have nothing and sometimes I can squeeze out a tear or two but they never over flow my eyes.

How to read results of the Schirmer's test:

1. Normal which is ≥15 mm wetting of the paper after 5 minutes.
    2. Mild which is 14-9 mm wetting of the paper after 5 minutes.
    3. Moderate which is 8-4 mm wetting of the paper after 5 minutes.
    4. Severe which is <4 mm wetting of the paper after 5 minutes.

Meld256

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 10:14:04 PM »
Hi Mawsky,

Welcome to Sjogren's World!  :) You will find lots of friendly people here and lots of good info. And you can feel free to ask any questions at all.  

I know it can be frightening trying to find out what's causing something like very dry eyes. As Joe stated, most of us here have had this happen. Sometimes before any treatment, eyes can be so dry that you can't produce tears. This not uncommon, believe it or not.
The important thing is that your docs are taking steps to find out. May I ask what they've told you so far? Please try not to worry too much, and please keep us updated, ok?

Take care,
Melinda

Mawsky

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 06:30:59 AM »
Thank you all, what I've been told so far is that my eyes are severly dry (by opthamologists) my family doctor didn't say much, but I know her well, and could tell she was concerned, she suspects sjogrens, and is doing the blood work, I should hear back from her in the next few days. I have to admit that I'm scared, and thinking the worse, I can be a worry wort. My eyes seem a bit better, but can't squeeze one tear out....creepy :-(

tired of it

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 07:22:13 AM »
welcome to the club no one wants to be a member of,,