Author Topic: Does any OTC drugs actually help your pain?  (Read 7786 times)

YYC_ Mommy

Does any OTC drugs actually help your pain?
« on: January 11, 2011, 07:37:18 AM »
Since after Christmas I am in some terrible pain. I have tried tylenol, advil, I even have tylenol 2 which I don't like to use but have been resorting to and they seem to take the edge off. My question to you all is there anything that you can get over the counter that helps with your pain?

I need to go back to my Rheumy in March but I think that I am going to call and see if I can see him sooner as the pain is really bad right now and it wakes me up through the night so of course I am even more exhausted than usual.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Re: Does any OTC drugs actually help your pain?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 07:49:22 AM »
Dear YYC_Mommy,

Aleve (Naproxen Sodium) helps me a great deal.  I take omeprazole (RX) to off set stomach irritation, however.

I cannot take most RX pain meds (hydrocodone, codeine, etc), but Cymbalta and Trileptal also help with the pain.

So I'm ok, until I get an infection/virus, and then the additional pain load breaks through and I have no recourse.

Keep us posted on what you find to help.

I used to take Tramadol, but it really just stopped doing a thing for me.  That's an RX.

Kisses

Elaine
Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Esomeprazol

GCJ

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 08:18:53 AM »
For me OTC don't help my severe nerve pain but if I get headache or feel ache it does to a degree. I try to limit the OTC cause I have had liver issues in the past. Someone on my nerve boards suggested aleve liquid gel caps being better and needing less of an amount

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 08:28:58 AM »
While I would not consider them OTC, I use Meditation, Aphorisms , Self-hypnosis, and CBT as my first line in pain relief. Next it is Aleve and 222's. Since I can no longer bring any 222's in for personal use. It will just be Aleve. I use Carrot Juice to build endorphins and reflexology for acute pain. Reiki is used for general pain.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

tired of it

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 08:59:44 AM »
NO

katyjo

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 09:06:53 AM »
I have some discomfort almost everyday.  Somedays are worse than others.  I think Motrin helps a little.  Controlling stress, getting enough sleep and having the right diet helps a lot.   

gphx

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 09:26:42 AM »
Someone explained to me once that an 800mg dose of Ibuprofin is not only an analgesic but also has antiinflammatory effects. NSAIDS, a drug family Ibuprofin is a member of, are Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs if I recall correctly. 800mg of Ibuprofin every four hours got me through a year and a half of a very physically demanding job til I simply got too exhausted for caffeine to push me through the day or even the first few hours anymore.

I don't take it now because taking large doses long term is hard on the liver and because NSAIDS, being effective, can also influence various blood tests causing false negatives. If your needs are short term and you don't have any pending tests you might give Ibuprofin a shot. Many people believe all NSAIDS are equivalent but everyone is different and Ibuprofin works best for me.

Vicodin knocks pain out entirely for me but, well, it's Vicodin. Being addictive I reserve that for back spasms or minor surgical procedures only.

Provided I'm able to, exercise does just as much good as the medications. Must be the natural endorphin release.
Dxed unspecific 'sicca syndrome' eyes and mouth. Neuro issues, muscle weakness. SS Seronegative but high inflammatory markers. Diabetes dx 2010. Glucose control improved neuromuscular issues. Enlarged thyroid under observation 2013. Yippee.

mink

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 09:59:53 AM »
You are so right gphx .....800mg of ibuprofen used give me some relief, but unfortunate for me I started breaking out in something called petechiea and that was very painful in itself so I have to resort to percocet now  :-\
Hey but if it's worth giving it a try especially if it turns out to work for you!

Good Luck and let us know what you find ;D

dbab

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 10:05:33 AM »
I will take 4 (800 mg) Ibuprofen if I need to and it helps.  I used to have Vicoprofen but I never asked my doctor for a refill.  The Ibuprofen will work ok at that dose but it is hard on your system and its not something I recommend doing regularly.  I already take RX NSAID twice a day so I'm sure not doing my body any good with that also, esp with my liver worries right now.

Anything OTC that is more liver friendly?  I know acetephetemin (Tylenol) is out of the question as well as the ibuprofens.  **sigh**

inga

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 10:31:38 AM »
Used to....not any more.

Nathan

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 10:33:40 AM »
I'm usually a huge NSAID user, but I've had long term issues with them giving me ulcers. I have one now (in spite of almost not using any...). Not fun.

If you can tolerate them, and they help, fantastic! When I'm able to, they're my #1.

harlin

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 12:46:02 PM »
I have not ever found an over the counter to help me, it is like taking nothing. I have had more pain since Christmas also and I went to Rheumy January 4th. She put me on Prednisone and it has really helped. I just know that after they are gone my pain will be back. I don't like taking Prednisone but it really did help, I can see a big difference.
Hugs to you, harlin

YYC_ Mommy

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 05:38:26 PM »
Thanks everyone for sharing and for some suggestions.

I am going to give the 800mg Ibuprfen a try tonight and see if I can aleast get some sleep. I was using Aleve daily and then I ran out and I have not replaced it. Maybe it was doing more than I thought. I will get some more Aleve tomorrow.

Again, thanks a million!

Catilee2

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 05:57:43 PM »
Hi,
   Of all the NSAID's Aleve gave me the most relief. It didn't knock out the real bad pain during flares. The Drs. kept me on Prilosec and then Nexium while taking them the last 10 years and because of stomach issues(a severe bleeding ulcer in 1990) the Rheumie told me not to take anymore NSAID's , so he put me on tramadol.

Catilee 2

Sha

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 07:05:24 PM »
Sorry to say, but for me....NO! I take hydrocodone 10/500 and tramadol 50 mg and natural stuff ;)

Good luck!

Sha