Author Topic: Brain Fog  (Read 14564 times)

ohiolady

Re: Brain Fog
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 07:14:21 AM »
Spartan and Carebear,

I, too, experience very low blood pressure at times since my Sjogrens diagnosis.  It almost always happens in the evening.  Have, also, experienced spikes of blood pressure. My heart rate will also go up some and this is almost always in the middle of the day.  If it goes to 105, it leaves me exhausted.    I have some dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system.  Interesting that a number of us with brain fog experience this as well.  I mentioned these things, to my rheumatologist, early on and she referred me over to my endocrinologist.  As I said before, my rheumy thinks Sjogrens = dry eyes, dry mouth, rash and arthritic symptoms.  No one seemed concerned about these issues.  Fortunately, for me, this is not an everyday occurence.  I have flare ups of symptoms.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

Spartan1

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2010, 07:15:38 AM »
Hi Carebear,

The cardiologist cked my cortisol levels and thyroid. He didn't say if it is sjogren's related..but he said it could be related to being dehydrated. I drink a lot of water, I also drink tea and coffee. I can't believe I am dehydrated. I do know that I have trouble waking up and my blood pressure was low this morning. I am so sluggish, fatigued feel as if I haven't slept. I took my medicine about an hour ago and I am feeling like a new person now. I feel more energy and focused with my thinking. The change is dramatic for me. My pressure drops when I sit and my pulse is higher...the dropping when I sit is unusual according to the cardiologist. He didn't give me any explanation..he looked puzzeled too. I am just thrilled to have this med work. The fatigue was making it impossible to function. I feel like a new person...now I can tackle the day.

I hope this helps. I noticed the brain fog being bad and that is when I tested my blood pressure. Try it when you feel a lot of brain fog. Sit for ten minutes and take your pressure. If it is low it could be related. In my case it was definately the cause..

Spartan1    

Spartan1

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2010, 07:23:07 AM »
Hi Anna,

In my case the low blood pressure has effected my brain fog. I only caught it because I thought to ck it during a really bad spell.  My ekg was normal but my pulse high. My blood pressure goes up and down too. This medicine has really helped me.
I do not have a definate diagnosis on Sjogrens yet. I am seronegative and I haven't had the biopsy yet. I have a lot of symptoms. Dry mouth,sinus's and severe dry eye. My eye dr suspects sjogrens and wants me to try some meds but my rheumy that I saw didn't put me on anything. I am in the process of getting a referral to a rheumy that specializes in sjogrens. I have also been diagnosed with gastroparesis...(mild). Getting the help I need has been really tough.  Reading everyones posts has helped..I go through so much...symptoms are very similar to people who have a diagnosis. I would love to know if this blood pressure issue is related..

Spartan1

navydad

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2010, 07:48:06 AM »
The only way I know if your having autonomic problems is for them to do a tilt table test, they check your blood pressure in different positions,, i belive it can detect problems with the heart rate too,, also another test I had done was the one where they cover you in powder and stick you basically in a oven to see if you sweat notmally,, it was not fun,,

ohiolady

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 09:40:42 AM »
Spartan,

You sound very similar to my situation.  I, too, am seronegative and did not want to have the lip biopsy done.  In my case, I have antibodies for Hashimotos and my rheumy stopped pushing for lip biopsy due to my Hashimotos Thyroiditis diagnosis.  She said that 20% of people with secondary Sjogrens do not show antibodies.  She is a Cleveland Clinic physician.  If you read this forum, you will see that physicians from top teaching hospitals seem to have differing criteria for diagnosis, which I find frustrating.  I am treated for symptoms.  I do not take Plaquenil due to fear of worsening my stomach issues.

I had NO GI issues prior to Sjogrens.  It has wreaked havoc with my digestive symptoms.  I have a moderate case of gastroparesis.  I have lot of nausea, stomach pain, early fullness but have been able to keep my weight stable.  The nausea is mostly in the morning.  And, I do have days where I can eat more than others.  I take Domperidone for the gastroparesis and this is a lifesaver to me.  I just had botox injections for my gastroparesis and thought it didn't help much.  However, on day 5, I noticed a lessening of stomach pain.  I will give it a couple of weeks and then post my results.

I just marvel at the similarities a lot of us have and yet without those antibodies, we sometimes get ignored.

I'm glad to hear the medicine has helped with your energy and brain fog.  If my situation worsens, I will pursue.  I'm just really tired of doctor appointments and tests.  Need a break!!!!!!

Nice to have you on the forum.

Anna
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   

Spartan1

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 10:18:42 AM »
Thanks Anna,

Have you had fluctuating/elevated liver enzymes? I also have had pancreatitis but I don't get severly sick...just high lipase and then recover relatively quick. Nausea often..take zopran on occ. I have also a lot of skin issues...dry and then severe itching that causes me to itch to the point of raw skin..They have suspected an autoimmune pancreatic condition. I have not met all the criteria for a diagnosis yet. I have 3 out of 6 of the criteria. This has been so frustrating. It is nice to hear others stories. I am learning a lot. It is also nice to talk to people who understand.

Glad to be apart of this group. I appreciate all the advice and help from everyone.

Spartan1

ohiolady

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2010, 10:48:32 AM »
Spartan,

I haven't had any pancreas issues nor elevated liver enzymes.  But, interestinly, another lady on the forum who has gastroparesis and the blood pressure issues has had pancreas problems.  Maybe, she will read this thread and respond.  She is very knowledgeable and helpful.  She goes to John Hopkins and her rheumatologist specializes in Sjogrens.  He is both a neurologist and rheumatologist.

Stay in touch and let us know what you find out from visits.  In the beginning, I was discouraged by the whole lack of antibodies for Sjogrens but I have very dry eyes, mouth, and nasal passages along with the autonomic dysfunction symtoms.  I am being treated for my symptoms and that is about all they do anyway.

Take care.

Anna

Kidney Cancer Survivor   

marilyn143

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2010, 03:24:12 PM »
Oh, I put dishsoap in the food I was cooking the other night because I tried to cook and talk at the same time. while having the thought that I would wash dishes when I was done  I just went ahead and started pouring some in the rice a roni !  used to be a time when I could cook ,do laundry,answer the phone etc all at once.yeah well those multi tasking days are long gone : ( 

anita

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2010, 06:29:01 PM »
I have not heard of a relation between brain fog and autonomic dysfunction/neuropathy (which is a common cause of low BP and fluctuating heart rates).  I have both significant cognitive problems and severe autonomic neuropathy (everything from heart rate, BP, gastroparesis, temp control, balance, and cardiac spasms).  I will be asking my neurologist about a possible connection, just to see what he says.  

Anna (and others):  There are plenty of effective meds out there to help with BP and heart rate due to autonomic dysfunction.  If one has gastroparesis, then it would be common to have other autonomic dysfunctions.  As navydad said, a very simple tilt table test can diagnose BP problems.  A holter monitor or cardiac events recorder can easily diagnose heart rate issues.  After your sabbatical, it wouldn't hurt to see a cardiologist...and/or neurologist about these.

Spartan:  I must agree with your doctor about the BP dropping when sitting.  That is the complete opposite of typical symptoms.  Usually it drops when standing (hence the tilt table which slowly raises you to a standing position).    He could check this in the office by having you lay, sit, and stand doing BP's and confirmed your drop when sitting.  I would agree that there must be some sort of fluid imbalance (but fluid imbalance most frequently shows when standing also).  I too take florinef (fludrocortisone), plus other BP meds to keep it higher.

I have cognitive problems even when my BP is medically regulated and fine, so I'm sure it's not directly causing the cognitive issues (in my case).

Best to all,
Anita
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 06:32:15 PM by anita »
52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2010, 08:12:28 PM »
You know, I am not at all sure that the brain fog is caused by the sjogrens. I have wondered for many years if it is the thyroid that is doing this.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid in 1989 after many years of weird symptoms that may well have been thyroid based. In early 1990's I developed some balance issues that were not severe, but they were annoying. I always blamed them on my sinuses which I doubt was the cause. I also developed the inability to know where to put my feet when I walked.

This was the worst in the dark and also after I had driven my 15 miles to work in the early morning and then got out of the car to walk to the building. I would literally have to look to see where to place my feet. I was looking in all the medical books to see what was going on and I found evidence of these issues with thyroid disease.

I even mentioned this to several doctors and they just poo-pooed the idea. Like they really had a clue!!!!

The sjogrens and thyroid issues seem to go hand in hand. My Hashimotos is really bad with my blood work being literally higher than they can measure.

I suffered from the low blood pressure for many years. Getting older and gaining weight moved my pressure back up over 100 but I would still have the drop in BP plus I would have the sudden increase in BP and pulse that would not go down. I did see a doc for that and he gave me a BP med to take only when I had those spells. I don't remember the name of it but it was a BP med that affected the central nervous system and it helped.

Have any of you had any input about the thyroid in relation to these issues?? The thyroid regulates so much of our bodily functions. And yes, the BP should be elevated when you sit down. Just imagine the blood vessels being like water pipes. When you sit down and bend your knees and then bend in the groin you hamper the circulation going back to the heart. When you stand up the blood just stagnates in the veins for a brief moment that is just a moment to give you the black feeling in your head like you are going to faint.

The body then draws upon the different chemicals, hormomes, etc and the blood vessels contract a little and push the blood back up towards the heart and the brain. Sort of a brief way to describe what is going on. When I was in training we would have to take the blood pressure of our cardiology patients standing, sitting and lying down and not necessarily in that order. Irish ;D

ohiolady

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2010, 06:09:24 AM »
Irish,

Thanks for the wealth of information.  It would be interesting to know how many of us with brain fog also have Hashimotos.

Anna

Kidney Cancer Survivor   

BonusMom

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2010, 08:05:20 AM »
I don't have Hashimotos or any other issue with my thyroid and I suffer from terrible brain fog--even before I started taking Topomax.

gphx

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2010, 08:14:17 AM »
Navydad I have to wonder if your having been an electrician and probably gotten zapped many times has contributed to your situation. In a former life I did biological work with venomous organisms and way too many exposures to neurotoxins probably didn't help my current situation either.
Dxed unspecific 'sicca syndrome' eyes and mouth. Neuro issues, muscle weakness. SS Seronegative but high inflammatory markers. Diabetes dx 2010. Glucose control improved neuromuscular issues. Enlarged thyroid under observation 2013. Yippee.

Carebear

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2010, 09:11:19 AM »
This thread has provided me with a lot of helpful information.

I was feeling lousy this morning, so I thought it may be a good time to check my blood pressure.

While standing 123/79  105 pulse
While seated   102/56  77 pulse

Very interesting...
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Spartan1

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2010, 09:16:10 AM »
Thats what happens to me!!! The meds have helped a lot!! I know the way I was feeling did have a lot to do with my blood pressure. I am on flourinef. I take one in the am. I can't believe how much better I feel. I too have the same reaction when standing verses sitting. It continues to drop when I sit and I get to tired to stay awake. On the meds..this isn't happening.

Hope this helps,

Sparatan1