Author Topic: Cevimeline Production Discontinuation  (Read 4184 times)

Sweetcheex76

Cevimeline Production Discontinuation
« on: January 15, 2015, 02:46:33 PM »
When I went to pick up my Cevimeline at Walgreens yesterday, I got 9 out of 90 prescribed tablets. I was told that the company who makes it had production problems so they ceased production. Walgreens is ordering it from another company and it should arrive in a few days.

The bottle says the manufacturer that stopped production is Pack. Hope you guys don't have problems getting your Cevimeline.
Sjogren's, Trigeminal Neuralgia, Reynaud's, Fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, ocular rosacea, rosacea, endometriosis, ADHD, anxiety, depression, pre-diabetes.

Plaquenil, Cevimeline, Restasis, Metformin,  Vyvanse, Xiidra, prescription ibuprofen, Vitamin D

litliwlowa

Re: Cevimeline Production Discontinuation
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 01:25:07 AM »
Ahhh so that explains why last month Walgreens told me the cotton in my refill was to separate the two different manufacturers they filled my rx with to remind them to tell me the meds looked different as they were two different manufacturers, but the same medication.

That happened once before last year a few months ago.

Hmmmm...
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc

Sweetcheex76

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 08:41:51 AM »
Ahhh so that explains why last month Walgreens told me the cotton in my refill was to separate the two different manufacturers they filled my rx with to remind them to tell me the meds looked different as they were two different manufacturers, but the same medication.

That happened once before last year a few months ago.

Hmmmm...

The good thing is that the rest of my prescription is at Walgreens. I hate switching manufacturers though because I know, sometime they don't work as well.
Sjogren's, Trigeminal Neuralgia, Reynaud's, Fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, ocular rosacea, rosacea, endometriosis, ADHD, anxiety, depression, pre-diabetes.

Plaquenil, Cevimeline, Restasis, Metformin,  Vyvanse, Xiidra, prescription ibuprofen, Vitamin D

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 09:46:49 AM »
I get the same thing from my Walgreens in illinois. I have plenty left but now I'm afraid to refill.  Hope this doesn't effect the price or quality.

If I had to buy the brand name, I couldn't afford it for long.  I hope the manufacturer starts producing again.  Sometimes I think this is done just to jack the prices up.   It's not like we are going to NEED this med for the REST OF OUR LIVES.😞

Kathy
62 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

litliwlowa

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 10:27:43 AM »
I hope the manufacturer starts producing again.  Sometimes I think this is done just to jack the prices up.   It's not like we are going to NEED this med for the REST OF OUR LIVES.????

Like minded here.

And biting my tongue, as most of us if not all of us are watching the contents of our wallets and purses empty quickly as it is. But I think your point has merit.

Collateral reference point - like utility companies jack up the cost per KWH in peak seasons (winter and summer) when of course we are going to use more then in EFFECT penalized by increased costs so they can swoop up the profits.

Okay I am off my soapbox now. ;)
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 02:27:49 PM »
Unfortunately a lo0t of times these manufacturers quit producing a drug because it is not a money maker for them. These companies don't care about their consumer, sad to say. I hope that we don't have as many problems getting drugs but things are pretty iffy in this medical insurance fiasco that is going on.

Just to let you know, most of the drugs that Walmart and Walgreens sell are manufactured in either England, Turkey, Pakistan, India, etc. I was told this by someone who knows for sure. Shouldn't surprise us though as all the big companies have gone overseas pretty much. So wonder people can't always find work. My humble opinion. Irish

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 03:59:25 PM »
This may be due to legal reasons.  This is a company supposedly headquartered in the USA (Illinois) but in actuality, the drugs are manufactured in China.
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

Kathy57

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 04:34:09 PM »
Well I'm just a little nervous about these meds being manufactured in China.  (Baby formula anyone?)
I didn't know that.  All I know is that even with the generic my insurance company is paying a pretty penny. 

Someone is making BIG bucks off these meds and I know it isn't us! 

Good luck to everyone who relies on this med!  (including me!)

Kathy
62 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

litliwlowa

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 04:53:32 PM »
This may be due to legal reasons.  This is a company supposedly headquartered in the USA (Illinois) but in actuality, the drugs are manufactured in China.
I've heard the same.

Actually, just an observation with my Walgreens - they've really streamlined their staff and reduced their rx inventory. Every month I can count on having to wait for them to order some of my meds that I get EVERY MONTH and have for years at this store that they used to have on hand on time. Particularly annoying is when they cut the blister pack on my Tirosint for a partial refill and I have to return it back as they cut right through the seal to expose the capsule. I have no way of knowing if it was tampered with. My endo was quite upset about that too.

They've been changing generics also, I've noticed not just the cevimeline. They changed generic on the hydroxychloroquine also.

@Kathy57 - I'll pass on the baby formula. ;)

ohiolady

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 05:33:30 PM »
Yikes!  I have to use brand name Evoxac because generic doesn't  work for me.  I read that Evoxac is a cheap drug to produce but you would never know this by cost.  Hope this gets figured out.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

Sweetcheex76

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 10:34:41 AM »
 I tried some of the new Cevimeline while I still had some left from the old manufacturer. Just wanted to see if there was a noticeable difference. I've taken it twice with an old tab in between and it makes my heart race.  Salagen made me feel like I was having a heart attack so my dr switched me to Cevimeline last month. It worked better for saliva production and heart calmed down. Why did I have a hunch this would happen?

One of my doctors does a lot of studies/testing for drug manufacturers. He told me always insist on non-generics because the generics can have differences up to 30% from the original drugs and still be acceptable. That's a crazy amount of difference! I usually have to go with a generic as I can't afford the original and I can tell you, with things like Adderall, there are differences bottle to bottle. There needs to be stricter limits on production.

Kathy57

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 11:53:40 AM »
SweetCheex76,

Sorry that the new generic is causing you increased heart rate.  I had similar problems with Pilicarpine and it just didn't work for me anywhere near as well as the Evoxac.

I bought brand name Evoxac once and it cost me over $300 for three months worth (and that was after my insurance picked up the bulk of it!)  and only $15 for three months for generic.  Since I had to quit work (thanks to Sjogrens) I can't afford to pay that much for just one of my meds.

One more problem we have to worry about😢.

I know I am just plain lucky to have insurance at all.  Wish I still had my job! Too late now.  I know I can't work full time but I would like to TRY part time to see if I can do it. 

I'm afraid no one will want a 57 yr old who has a chronic illness.  If my Dr would have just filled out the medical LOA forms I would have had the opportunity to try.  Of course she didn't believe I was ill! 

Think I'll eventually get over this? 

Kathy

ktfabian

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 12:15:16 PM »
I'm appalled at how much the cost of generics has increased lately!! I had to switch Medicare Advantage providers because my no-premium insurance was going to increase the cost of 5 of my generics that I've been using for years from $19 to $89! No reason given. I didn't like that insurance anyway, because it only allowed me to go to one of two hospital systems in our areas, and I've had a lot of trouble with the system I had to use, especially their ER. I'm afraid of what's going to happen when I hit the Medicare prescription doughnut hole!

So now I pay $149 a month, but all of my prescriptions are either $3 or $18, most are $18, but that still beats $89. And I reach catastrophic medical coverage (not drugs) when I've spent $3400 out of pocket. The other insurance was $6700. So, while I miss the $149 that's being taken out of my check each month, in the long run, I'm paying a lot less.

I hope you can get a generic that help you without causing the heart rate increase.
Tracy

mshistory

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 02:14:52 PM »
I'm appalled at how much the cost of generics has increased lately!! I had to switch Medicare Advantage providers because my no-premium insurance was going to increase the cost of 5 of my generics that I've been using for years from $19 to $89! No reason given. I didn't like that insurance anyway, because it only allowed me to go to one of two hospital systems in our areas, and I've had a lot of trouble with the system I had to use, especially their ER. I'm afraid of what's going to happen when I hit the Medicare prescription doughnut hole!

So now I pay $149 a month, but all of my prescriptions are either $3 or $18, most are $18, but that still beats $89. And I reach catastrophic medical coverage (not drugs) when I've spent $3400 out of pocket. The other insurance was $6700. So, while I miss the $149 that's being taken out of my check each month, in the long run, I'm paying a lot less.

I hope you can get a generic that help you without causing the heart rate increase.
Tracy

My generics have gone up, too. Instead of having a standard copay for generics, we know have to pay a percentage of the total cost. I will have to discontinue generic CellCept this year because even the generic is crazy expensive. These drug and insurance companies certainly do not care if we live or die as long as they continue to get richer. :-(

Oh, I'm also on cevimeline and I have to go through CVS now (another new change this year ? we've NEVER used a CVS pharmacy and my insurance co. is now saying we have to use CVS or pay a greater percentage of drug costs). I get SO tired of being chronically ill and having to deal with stuff like this all the time.
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.