Author Topic: Morning eye dryness  (Read 2711 times)

sixty

Morning eye dryness
« on: January 18, 2015, 11:16:19 PM »
Hi everybody:  It's been quite awhile since I've been participating so forgive me if this topic is old hat.  In recent mornings I wake up with dry eyes to the point where my eyelid is stuck to my eye ball and it's freaking me out.  I've been diagnosed for about 6 years now, but this is the worst my dryness has been.  I have no eye drop prescription but I do use over the counter drops.  It's a little scary cos I wonder what the future may bring and how bad it could get.  Can anyone relate to this scenario?  I do have an appt. with a new rheumy, but not til April.

Head2Toe

Re: Morning eye dryness
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 11:40:36 PM »
Yes - I can relate.  I can DEFINITELY feel the stickiness and must open my eyes slowly - sort of 'work them open' by rubbing my eyes gently.  I also wake up frequently during the night, and my eyesight is significantly impacted by the thick 'gunk' covering my eyes to the point where I simply cannot read the bedside clock that sits about 18" from my face.  The numbers are 1" high and I am (normally) near-sited - but that doesn't help with the layer of gunk over them.  Sometimes I can rub my eyes and enough of the gunk moves that I can see what time it is.  The gunk apparently continues to build up throughout the rest of the night.

I have zero luck using eye drops (even the thick ones that others swear by) at night.  When I use it I still have the same results with thick gooey stuff in my eyes that must be removed.  I haven't done any research into exactly what's going on - I just know it's not normal.

Also - I've found that if I get any tap water in my eyes during a shower, the water seems to completely strip any oil film (lubrication) that may have been there.  Water really bothers me bad so if I get any drops of water in my eyes I have to keep my eyes closed until I can rub them with a hot cloth, and then most of the time I have a problem with my eye lids sticking to my eye balls.  I agree - it's a totally gross feeling, and once or twice I've worried that I won't be able to open my eyes for a lengthy period of time because the lubrication has been lost :(

Others here will likely have words of wisdom that you may find helpful :)
Female-57; Endometriosis (dx-1977); Cervical Osteoarthritis (dx 2014); Laryngeal Reflux (dx 2015); Seronegative & Negative Lip Biopsy

litliwlowa

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 03:58:43 AM »
Hi everybody:  It's been quite awhile since I've been participating so forgive me if this topic is old hat.  In recent mornings I wake up with dry eyes to the point where my eyelid is stuck to my eye ball and it's freaking me out.  I've been diagnosed for about 6 years now, but this is the worst my dryness has been.  I have no eye drop prescription but I do use over the counter drops.  It's a little scary cos I wonder what the future may bring and how bad it could get.  Can anyone relate to this scenario?  I do have an appt. with a new rheumy, but not til April.
Oh YES I can relate.

Two things contribute to that for me.

One - Sjs related. I find it helpful to run humidifier (with humidistat as I have to maintain low enough humidity to avoid mold growth) and Refresh Sensitive PM eye ointment. that is on the dry eye aspect.

Additionally, I have bad allergy to dust and airborne particulates. I run a Merv 13 filter (highest rating I could find) in my air handler which is supposed to last three months. The airborne particulates are so bad even with frequent dusting and vaccuming, week three my eyes get as you describe so filter gets changed frequently - every three weeks. In three weeks time that filter is full of particulates.

Now also, the Sjogrens related Rx'd meds I am on are: Cevimeline (Evoxac), Restasis and Plaquenil.

All have been tremendously helpful for me overall. I still have to use eye drops during the day and ointment at night. But from the SJS aspect, my eyes are "happier". Can't say the same from the allergy aspect (on Panatol eye drop for that, which is a balancing act with the Sjogrens, as Panatol is drying)
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 05:45:25 AM »
Dear sixty,

I've always slept with a humidifier (very large) running full blast next to my bed and keep the humidity as high as possible.  65% is recommended for those of us with Sjogren's.

I take generic Salagen, of course.   15 mg spaced over three doses of 5 mg during the day and last thing at night.

And at LEAST twice a night, when I get up to pee, I spray my eyes with Nature's Tears, and also first thing on getting up.

I also wash my eyes with a very warm wash cloth first thing on getting up.

So far so good.

Hugs,  Elaine
Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) C-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om. 3-Naltrexone-Esomep.

Calli66

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 07:37:27 AM »
I use a product called Simply Saline Spray--sold as a nasal cleanser, no preservatives and very gentle. Spray on eyelids, lashes---some will get into your eyes and will help you open them without "ripping them"---dissolves the crud. You really have to be careful if your eyes are "stuck" first thing in the morning, because you can damage your cornea. The lid can tear away part of the cornea if you're not careful. The spray is available at most chain pharmacy stores like Walgreen's, etc.

For night time---have you tried the ecoeyes brand of silicone eye shield called Oniyx? I have used this for years. I use drops at night, and it helps to keep the moisture level up and the lids and lashes from crusting.

For me, my eyes absolutely STOP making any tears as soon as I fall asleep.

Also, did you know that when you make very little tears, your eyes will make more mucus and debris (from inflammation)?

You may want to change brands of eye drops, too. Sometimes we get sensitized to some ingredient and then it irritates instead of soothes. For me, that is the cellulose ingredient (hypromellose, carboxymethyl cellulose, etc.). I used to be able to use drops with that in them, but not any more.

Also, be careful to read labels for some of the cheaper eyedrops. You want to avoid anything that is preserved with Benzalkonium Chloride, since it is harmful to the eye surface if used constantly (like a dry eye person needs to do).

Calli

cmclien

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 08:04:40 AM »
Hi,
What works for me is restasis prescription, an absolute must have!  It reduces inflammation, stops reflex tearing if you have that, and lets your eyes heal as the inflammation causes most of the issues that can scar your eyes.  It takes many weeks to work but I have been using it for about 10 years now.

Also, at night, eye drops are not enough for me, I will wake up with very red eyes that hurt all day. I use systane nightime ointment, a thick vaseline type ointment, it keeps my eyes from sticking together.  I put some in each of my lower lids.  If I run out I suffer.  Its a bit messy and gets all over my pillow cases which annoys my husband lol but even he knows better than that then listen to me complain constantly about how much my eyes hurt!  I use systane individual viles during the day.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 08:21:40 AM by cmclien »
Cindi

Age 55-Sjogrens, Hashimotos, IC/PBS/ sometimes,  GERD, IBS, TMJ, Vasomotor Rhinitis, Anxiety, Migraines/Chronic Headaches.  Also had Meniere's as a teenager that went away years later.

Synthroid, Restasis, Omeprazole, Lexapro, Propranolol, Nasonex, Magnesium, Multi, Vit-D, Premarin, Aloe

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 08:52:12 AM »
Hi Calli, I use Simply Saline in my nose followed by Nasocort.  Both OTC, both 'musts' to keep my nose clear so I don't breathe through my  mouth at night.

Hugs,  Elaine
Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) C-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om. 3-Naltrexone-Esomep.

Pisces24

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 04:03:44 PM »
I showed "gunk" on my eye lids on my eye dr appointment. Other than drops, I don't know what else you do about dry eyes but as for the gunk on the lids, my dr suggested this.

Use a very clean cloth and put a tiny dap of baby shampoo. Wipe the bottom of your eye lids (NOT your eye). Baby shampoo shouldn't bother you but if it does, you can followup with a very clean wet cloth and wipe the area.

My eyes are like the windshield on a car. When the wipers are going, the gunk gets deposited at the bottom of the windshield.  Hope this suggestion helps! :)

sixty

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 10:40:48 PM »
Thank you all for your responses and they are all excellent and informative.  I feel a little less stressed about my dry eyes hearing all your stories and relating to all of you.  I'm not alone in this mess of a disease.

Head2Toe

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 11:09:52 PM »
The baby shampoo suggestion was made to me too, but not for the gunk - the suggestion was made because my eyes  burn really bad at least once a day.  Sometimes it happens mid-day, but it ALWAYS happens between 5 - 7 PM.  When it happens my eyes feel like whatever small amount of moisture I have in my eyes suddenly turns to acid.  If I don't immediately clean my burning eyes with packaged eyelid wipes (which I use when it happens at work) or a hot washcloth, my eyes stream what feels like acid-based tears and I simply cannot keep my eyes open because of the stinging/burning.  It's both painful and embarrassing.

I had to quit wearing eye make-up several years ago because of this condition.

The layer of gunk that forms over my eyeballs while I sleep was initially intermittent, but is now a nightly occurrence.

*sigh*  What next?
Female-57; Endometriosis (dx-1977); Cervical Osteoarthritis (dx 2014); Laryngeal Reflux (dx 2015); Seronegative & Negative Lip Biopsy

wildforwater

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 01:05:16 PM »
Restastis helped me a lot too.  Before using it, my eyes felt like I was ripping the corneas off of them when I tried to open them in the morning.  Besides Restastis, I use a nighttime ointment as well.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Maria
Sjogren's; Hashimoto's Thyroiditis; Raynaud's Syndrome; GERD; Barrett's Esophagus; Gilbert's Syndrome; Tremors; SFN; Osteoporosis; Osteoarthritis; Lyme 2003 & Lyme/Babesiosis 2010; OB; Plaquenil; Evoxac; Restasis; Prevacid; Synthroid; Prozac;Estrace Cream; Vitamin D.