Author Topic: About ourselfs  (Read 9689 times)

LizPetillo

Re: About ourselfs
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 04:59:20 AM »
I'm 48.  A hockey fan (Flyers!).  US Army vet.
I have a BS in psychology and I homeschooled my daughter for many years.
I'm a major conspiracy freak.  I see 'em everywhere. 
So naturally I'm paranoid and won't be saying anymore about myself.   ;D
Seriously ... LOVE conspiracies (and ghost hunting .. used to do that a bunch)

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 05:28:29 AM »
LizP, your comment reminded me of a couple of things that my friends have brought up.

1. Just because you are paranoid does not mean that some one is not out to get you.
2. A conspiracy is when two or more people put their heads together to take advantage of one or more people. Capitalism at its finest.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

LizPetillo

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 06:09:14 AM »
Ahhh Joe .. you'd be a fun person to talk to IRL (in real life)!

Funny thing about conspiracy 'theories' .. lots of times they turn out to be conspiracy 'FACTS'   ;D

navydad

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 06:29:46 AM »
can you say grassy knoll,, and Liz,, I like ghost hunting also,, but gave it up, went so far as to get a digital recorder,, took it to a old cemetary,, left it running all night,, and got to hear dogs barking,, horns honking,, and a rustling in the leaves which i was sure was something until I went back and saw deer tracks,, I had it turned up way to loud,, caught everything within a mile radius,, need to try it insde someday,,

cat

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 06:52:56 AM »
Hi, I've just turned 61 and have also just celebrated 46 years of marriage with my DH. Yes you can do the math. I was married just before my 15th birthday. Such a shock to all I'm sure. But I may have started out a lot to young but I was mature for my age and am very proud of what my hubby and I have accomplished together.We have three beautiful daughters, 45, 42 and 26. Yes the youngest was an after thought and because I was already very ill but undiagnosed it was not easy to raise her. But all turned out well and we are a very close family.I always had bladder problems right from the time I was very young. Then after the birth of our first daughter I started having a whole gamit of other health issues. Digestive issues pain everywhere etc. The long journey from Dr to Dr began then. I was finally diagnosed with Interstitial Cystis in the early 90' and that was the beginning of discovering what else was wrong with me. Next diagnosis, fibromyalgia and chronic fatique, gerd, ssjs, type 2 diabetes (even though not overweight). Suffered for  years with debilitating migraines which have now eased to hardly ever. I also have advanced disc disease, cervical and spinal stenosis, macular degeneration, carpal tunnel in both hands and the list goes on. Plenty of nerve pain.Something just went wrong here and I lost what I had just written about our family activities. Will try again. Our family enjoyed snowmobiling, ice fishing, cross country skiing, skating in the winter. Summer was swimming, boating, camping, cycling, entertaining around the pool and bbq. We also made it a point to take the children on a summer vacation every year. We have  been across Canada and a lot of the USA in our travels. Most of these things I can no longer do. Also have given up sewing, crocheting, knitting, I still do scapbooking and photography and a little travelling. I enjoy coming to this sight because the people here can truly relate to what it is like to live with all of these woes. Thank you[/size][/size][/size]

Cricket

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2010, 07:53:55 AM »
My real name is Joan, I am 62 yrs. young.  Married to Bob for 39 yrs., have two daughters and 4 grandchildren with one more on the way Jan. 18th.

I live near Chicago and I too love the Midwest.  I love winter, spring and Fall.  The summers are hard on me can't stand heat and humidity.

I have always been a stay at home wife and mom, except when I had a stretch when I worked as a church secretary to put my youngest daughter through high school and some college.

I had back surgery 35 yrs. ago that did not go well and now I have back problems, Fibromyalgia, SS.  Since back surgery I have not had a day with out pain, most days it has been tolerable, but the past year it has gotten worse.

My husband is great, does so much for me.  He asks me daily how I feel, I never really tell all I don't want to make him feel bad.  He is the love of my life, I am so blessed.

I love this board, everyone is so kind and compassionate and helpful, you are truly my family!

Female 64 yrs. old with:~Lymphoma ~SJS~, Fibro, Neuropathy, Spinal  Stenosis, Degenerative Discs, Shingles Arthritis, Hypo-thyroid.
Rituxan, Synthroid, Lopressor, Vasotec, Zantac, Zyrtec, evoxac, Lexapro, Neurotin, Ambien, Zanaflex, Voltarm, Vicodin, fish oil, Centrum vit.,  CoQ10, vit. D, Miralax

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2010, 07:56:10 AM »
Hi, my name is Elaine, and I (finally) live in Cary, NC.

Married 48 years to John (PhD, Biology, researcher and teacher, retired now, but not by choice).

WORK: I have a BS, BA, and MBA, and
am a former Spanish teacher,
former many other things,
HR professional
and college teacher.

RETIRED:Retired now 10 years.

KIDS:Two sons, 46 and 40.  One in Paris, married 24 years, one in Raleigh, married 13 years.  Five grandchildren.

CATS:Two cats, Max and Mia.   Mia is a Maine Coon, almost 10, a sweet lady.  Max is American Alley, 4, and a loving scamp.   He keeps her moving, when he's not sleeping against my side while I'm on the puter.

GRANDKIDS:  I had the good fortune of having my French grandchildren for 6 weeks every summer for 9 years  So got to do the 'soccer mom' routine all over again in my retirement.   Now we tutor our American grandchildren every Wednesday, and live only 15 minutes from the family.

HOMES: We've lived in Kansas City, KS ( 3 years, teaching high school),
Providence, Rhode Island (4 years, Brown University),
Newton MA (25 years, Boston University School of Medicine)
Gainesville,GA (12 years Brenau University),
and El Paso TX ( 4 years University of Texas at El Paso).

TRAVEL: We've spent many many weeks at a time in Paris (to see grandchildren) and Hawaii (younger son stationed there for 6 years),
travelled to China twice (85 and 07) because John has an appointment at Medical School there.   
A visit to Amsterdam,
travel around France,
a week in Venice,
a week in Southern Spain,
several trips to Mexico,
and lots of travel in the US rounds out our itineraries

DREAM: I really want to see Machu Picchu in Peru. but I had knee surgery in April which hasn't solved my knee pain and problems, so I think my days of active travel will be limited to things easier to get to see!

FUN:  I love to read, go to movies, sort of play bridge, keep up with family, exercise in the pool (3 times a week at LEAST), chat with friends on line, and Google things.

I love a good Google "quest".

THIS YEAR:   spent most of the last year in medical hysteria,
 my daughter in law misdiagnosed with a terrible invariably fatal cancer (false alarm that lasted3.5 weeks and felt like an eternity),
my husband suspected of prostate cancer (false alarm lasting 6 weeks)
and me diagnosed with everything from epileptic seizure type brain Waves, to profound peripheral neuropathy (all countered by another neurologist 8 months later!)
a badly torn meniscus taking two months to be operated on, only to have a very imperfect recovery,
and THREE moves, (with an 1800 mile drive) to wind up in our house at long last.

FUTURE:  So, I HOPE the future will involve me getting healthier and settled for a while.  But we just show up every day (if we're lucky) and find out what happens next!

Kisses

Elaine

Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Esomeprazol

sewandsew

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2010, 09:15:09 AM »
I am a younger-minded senior citizen living in So Cal (originally from IL).
Sewing is my fun-any kind-but especially quilting.
Married, three kids and four grandkids.
Dxd  4 years ago after I did my own research and asked PC Dr. if it was Sjs.
Rheumy says I've probably had it for more than 20 years.
(Sjs, Hashimoto, Reynaud's, neuropathy)
I enjoy going to the gym several times a week (rheumy increased it).
Love cruising and find it the best for us soggies to see the world while resting when needed.
Love this board and find you all interesting and compassionate.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:27:29 AM by sewandsew »

dry2010

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 10:01:59 AM »
My name is Martha 49 yrs old. I am remarried to my wonderful husband and step dad for 6 yrs and live in the Chicagoland suburbs. I was diagnosed in March of 2010 three weeks after my only son was killed in a automoblie accident he was 19. Needless to say I was trying to get a diagnosis for the last four years but with my sons death everything took me down there was no more you are depressed and anxious it was wlecome to the world of Sjogrens.

I have two beagles and a cat my oldest dog is 4 Sadie  my puppy is 10 months Sophie we got her 5 days before my son died. I have a cat Micah who was my sons he is a 9 yr old Maine Coon never so important to me as now.

Diagnosed SJS March 2010, Gerd, Plaquenil & Generic Evoxac,suspected Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome,Wellbutrin, Hypothyroid and menopause.

navydad

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
My name is Martha 49 yrs old. I am remarried to my wonderful husband and step dad for 6 yrs and live in the Chicagoland suburbs. I was diagnosed in March of 2010 three weeks after my only son was killed in a automoblie accident he was 19. Needless to say I was trying to get a diagnosis for the last four years but with my sons death everything took me down there was no more you are depressed and anxious it was wlecome to the world of Sjogrens.

I have two beagles and a cat my oldest dog is 4 Sadie  my puppy is 10 months Sophie we got her 5 days before my son died. I have a cat Micah who was my sons he is a 9 yr old Maine Coon never so important to me as now.

Dear Martha,, I am so sorry about the death of your son,, no mother should have to bury a child,, I;m and was in that limbo land of being labeld anxious and depressed,, who says they are sorry when there wrong, who builds our self esteem back up when the label is applied wrongly,, no one, no one is held responsible for there actions,, why is that they have the fall back position of depression and pain clinics when in fact what they should be saying is,, I dont know whats worng with you,, but were going to find out

Bopeep

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 01:51:59 PM »
what a great thread Navydad

My real name is Colleen, I am turning 60 on the 18th December.  :o ( real scary stuff )
My husband, bless his heart is Bill, his real name is Claude, but no one knows him by that name.

I live in New Zealand in beautiful sunny Nelson in the South Island.

My husband and I travelled with his business for 15 years, living in South Africa, Kenya, Uzbekistan, Pakistan, Kuala Lumpa, Australia.

In 1992 we bought a small life style block on the outskirts of Nelson and rented it out while we remained overseas.

On return to NZ we renovated the house and fixed the paddocks up, so now we run sheep, hence the name Bopeep.
Each year we have some lambs for one reason or another mum didnt want, these pets live close to the house and its my job to raise them, they follow me around where ever they can.

I have a large garden, about three acres or so, which I started before I knew I was ill and now find it a full time job to maintain.
We have two children, Robert 35 and Murray 30.

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2010, 02:50:16 PM »
I'm going to share some, but not all. Here's why - I know that insurers look at the internet to try to gain information about you. How do I know that?

When I had my last review for Long Term Disability they pulled out some information from a blog that I do under my real name and quizzed me about some things I said. Luckily, everything I said was absolutely consistent with what I was reporting to them, but there was definitely a feel of "trying to trip you up".  So for me, the opportunity to be able to talk without being super careful about how I phrase things is something I value, and so I'm going to stay anonymous.

I picked the name warm waters because I'm very fond of water - I like being near the ocean, a lake, a stream, or even a pool. I get more relaxed and happy near water. And if it's warm water that I can be in , well then, I'm super happy. When I joined this forum I was feeling pretty bad about my situation, so I picked a name that made me feel good.

I'm in my 50's and have a daughter in college. She's a real joy to me, and I'm enjoying the transition from Mother-Daughter to two people who get along.

I live near San Francisco. I moved here last year, and love the climate. I'm originally from New England and don't miss the snow at all. My sore knee doesn't miss the snow either!

I spent 25+ years in the computer industry, and so most of my friends are extremely geeky. I love to read, and I read a lot of biographies. 

I was working a fairly high pressure job for a well known online company when I had a fairly sudden onset of what turned out to be Sjogren's. This has been a real head spinner as I've made the change from being a "doer" to a person who has to take things a day at a time. But I'm getting the hang of it.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

Catilee2

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2010, 03:19:57 PM »
Thank you Navydad!!! This is a great idea!

My first name is Beverly and I am 63. I grew up and went to college in NJ. I have a BS and MA. and taught for 36 years before retiring. (The last 26 were in a middle school science in NJ.)  I met my husband in 1982.  We will be celebrating our 22 anniversary in Jan. I have 3 stepchildren and 5 grandchildren.  We bought property in VT in  1999. Had a barn built with a studio upstairs to stay in while the house was being build. It has loads of windows and is passive solar and has a wrap around porch( my dream porch!). Our driveway is 1,960' altitude so we get lots of snow when others get rain. This sometimes is rough on my neuropathy.

We had cattle, but the summer of 2009 was so wet, hay became a real problem, so the herd was sold. We now have Icelandic sheep and love them!  We started building a foundation herd with 4 ewes, 4 ewe lambs, a ram and a ram lamb.  Our ram loves to be rubbed under his chin. We also have free range chickens, geese, fantail doves and 2 Australian shepherds.

The catilee is a tribute to my Grandmother on my Dad's side. She was my favorite grandparent and because I was the first grandchild and a redhead, she told me I was an answer to prayer.She took me almost every where she went until she got sick. (I was about 12 when that happened)

I enjoy people! I love reading mysteries and use to love reading conspiracy novels Liz. I love walking in our woods down to the further stream(we have two streams on our 50 acres). My husband at 70 is still cutting down trees to clear more area, chopping the wood for the stove, and so many other things.
We both like classical music. I also like jazz, older rock and roll  and big bands.  I am in the process of learning to spin and would like to learn to weave using the sheared wool from our sheep. I love to cook and bake and it's wonderful when we can have people over for dinner.   I also teach Sunday school at our church and have a once a month youth group.
I also love to travel. the commitment to the farm though limits our trips to when the farm sitter is available. My siblings are in CA, NJ and GA.

As I have said in other ramblings, I was tested in March of 2000 because the nurse practitioner felt there was more happening that a sinus infection.
The tests came back showing + ANA, and the SjS antibodies through the roof, and elevated sed rate but a neg. R factor.  I retuning to the Rheumatologist who treated me in 1991 for a migrating rash that froze the joints where the rash was. In 1991 the only + test was an elevated sed rate.  I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy in Oct. of 2005.  In 2008 I started losing weight  and had a variety of GI symptoms. In May of 2009 I was diagnosed with Mast Cell Activation Disorder.  Funny thing some of the symptoms are the same for both syndromes.
the MCAD has been relative stable since I started a new med. in March.

Life is good. I have a husband who has learned to accept that there are good days and some not so good days. I have made some wonderful new friends since we have moved to VT. and still keep in touch with the people I was close to in NJ. We are seeing some of the grandkids here in VT for Christmas. I am sooo excited!!!

And as has been said by a number of you - This is such a supportive place when one needs to connect with people who really understand how your body feels.
God Bless all of you. Have a Happy Thanksgiving if you live here in the USA.

Fondly,

Catilee 2

shevonne

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2010, 04:23:17 PM »
Hello NavyDad,  My real name is Jewel!  I am 47 and have just been diagnosed with Sjorgren's this past April/May.  I am pretty sure I've had it a long long time.  I live in Connecticut but was born in North Carolina.  I am divorced with two children.  I visit the Board just about everyday and it is a great support system to me.  I find myself talking about all of you to my family and coworkers as if I was talking about my brothers and sisters; that is how important all of you are in my life!  I feel so blessed to have found all of you and to be able to share my thoughts and problems  ;) with.  Sometimes I can come to the Board to get a laugh, to get a cry, to pour my heart out, or just to read.  I can get advice, recipes; wish I could get some money though  ;D.  One thing I can say is Sjogren's does not discriminate!  We all come from different places, different races, definitely a diversed pool.  We all may have individual ailments but we still all have something in common and, for me, I can say that I strongly feel that you all have a special place in my heart!

Meld256

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2010, 10:29:48 PM »
This is so interesting to read how we all come from such different backgrounds and as we are reminded, chronic illness knows no bounds as to age, gender, or socio-economics. Great that we all have this site to come to and help one another.

Martha, like Navydad, I want to express my sorrow over the loss of your young son. I suppose no one can understand what you are going though unless they have experienced it themselves. Just wanted you to know my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Melinda