Author Topic: Returning Newbie  (Read 2288 times)

echofuzz

Returning Newbie
« on: November 04, 2010, 07:01:56 AM »
hi, all.

i joined about a year and a half ago, introduced myself, and then disappeared until now. like a lot of people here, i struggled with figuring out what was going on with my health. i was experiencing a lot of muscle and joint pain, fatigue, brain fog, muscle spasms, and on and on. after who knows how many doctors and tests and pokings and proddings, i ended up with a diagnosis of UCTD/probable SS. (no dry eyes/mouth, but my nose and throat are often dry.)  so i don't have an official SS diagnosis, but it's most likely what it is, which is part of the reason i joined the forum in the first place.

then things got even more interesting... in a very good way: about a month after i joined the forum, i found out i was pregnant and my life turned into a crazy whirlwind of even more doctor's appointments than ever and going off of medications and on and on. 

during the second and third trimester of pregnancy, my autoimmune symptoms slowly eased. after my son was born, things got even better: i was pain free for the first time in a few years. i had my fingers crossed that maybe he had "fixed" me. but i guess really he just gave me a vacation.

now i have a very cute, very demanding little 10-month old, and my symptoms seem to be picking up again. i keep telling myself that the muscle and joint pain are from hauling around a 20 pound squirming baby, but in my heart i know better. they aren't as severe as before, but they're there. i'm hoping (probably in vain) that they'll stay less severe. only time will tell, though.

so now i find myself working full time, raising a little boy, and dealing with a chronic illness. and i decided that one of the best things i could do for myself -and for my family- is to make sure i have the support i need to live with everything. so i'm back and hoping to be a far more active member of the forums, life permitting.  =)

thanks!

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: Returning Newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 07:41:09 AM »
Welcome back. It is important for you to  understand "Spoon Theory". Live and enjoy life as much as you can. Find the management techniques that work for you. Cherish your time with your friends and family, but do not over do.

Be kind to yourself and take care of yourself. If you are interested in alternative management techniques you can PM me.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 09:32:13 AM »
Hi Echofuzz  :)

Welcome back and congratulations on the birth of your son!

I'm glad SjS gave you some 'time out' but sorry to hear that symptoms are picking up again now. I really think that hormone changes can trigger flares - in women at any rate. Maybe when you 'normalise' - and it takes its time after pregnancy and birth - you may get another remission.

I understand the fatigue that coping with SjS and a baby can cause. You are right - its a case of working out support mechanisms and also not beating yourself up if you can't keep the house quite the way you want because of the demands of the baby. Prioritise!!

Take care - good to see you - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Shani

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 12:51:16 PM »
Hi Echofuzz! Welcome back, looks like a lot has been going on for you.
Congratulations with your baby boy, I am sure he brightens your life and is very adorable.:))
I'm glad you had a little 'Time off' during and after your pregnancy, if only that would have lasted longer.
But with the right attitude and a loving family, I'm sure you'll enjoy life just as mcuh as a healthy person would.
Hugs!

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 04:35:48 PM »
Hi echofuzz - welcome back.

Congratulations on the birth of your son.  He'll be walking soon and then the real adventure begins!!   :o   ;)

If you don't already have one, you might consider getting a humidifier for your bedroom - that helps with the dryness of your nose.  I have a cool mist one and it puts out a "cool mist" (amazing, isn't it?! hehe).  My son even borrows it and uses it in his bedroom when he has a cold.  Especially as winter is coming and the heat is on in the house, etc. to add moisture to the air helps.

Your joint pain might be a little bit of arthritis - some of us have that lovely gift along with the Sjogren's.

I hope you find a lot of helpful information here on the forum.  Here, we "get it" - so feel free to come here often as we try and help each other on this journey called the Sjogren's Road.

Bucky

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

echofuzz

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 09:11:09 AM »
hi all.

thanks for the warm welcome back and all the congrats.

we were actually waiting on having kids because my health was so questionable that i didn't think it was the best idea. but life has a funny way of working out because i ended up pregnant, and my son is one of the best things in my life and one of the best things i've ever done/helped create.

Bucky: i've been checked for arthritis and was told there's no evidence of it or any other damage/issues with my joints. which confuses me: how can there be no issues or damage when they hurt so much? but that's part of the mystery of all this, i guess...

my little guy just woke from a well earned nap, so i must be off.  ::) we went to open mat time at a nearby indoor playground. and boy am i already paying for it! where's my Advil???  ;)  but it was worth it.

thanks everyone!

Patze

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 08:26:01 PM »
Hi Echofuzz,

Welcome back and congratulations on the birth of your son!  Like the others have mentioned, children are so well worth it!

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen