Author Topic: Hydroxychloqoruine - loss of potency  (Read 1984 times)

Woolygimp

Hydroxychloqoruine - loss of potency
« on: October 14, 2010, 03:03:51 PM »
I take 400mg daily of the generic version of Plaquenil, hydroxychloroquine, and I've noticed the strangest occurrence over the 12+ months that I've been taking this medication.

First, I know how it's suppose to work... how it takes months of "build up" and that you aren't suppose to notice small and quick changes in dosages, but I say that's bullshit.  If I go a couple days without the medication, I can tell.

Now what seems to be happening is when I pick up a prescription, I notice the benefits of the medication for the first couple of weeks.  But as I get closer and closer to the end of the fill, I very gradually lose the benefits of the medication and feel sicker, more swollen, etc. and all this changes when I get my next fill.  It's almost as the medication is losing its potency relatively quickly.  It all becomes fine again when I get another fill and begin taking the next months, I almost immediately notice an improvement and I feel much, much better.

I store the hydroxychloroquine at room temperature and don't leave it in the heat or anything, so I don't know what could be causing this.   I'm trying to get the brand name, because it may be a problem with the generic for all I know, but I doubt that Walgreens will fill it with the brand name (they don't make as much money filling brand name prescriptions). 

Anyway, I thought this was very odd and I've noticed it over, and over... this isn't a one time occurence, and was just curious if anyone had any ideas.

DragonflyC

Re: Hydroxychloqoruine - loss of potency
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 04:54:40 PM »
I take the generic, but I haven't noticed any lessening of its impact except when I'm flaring.

anita

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 05:52:21 PM »
Being that you're describing reoccurring monthly changes, I wonder if it's a hormonal thing, not the plaquenil. 

I have taken plaquenil for a couple years and never had anything like you describe (and I take the generic).  I'll be interested in reading other comments.

Take care
52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

Kerrikins

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 06:03:24 PM »
My flares are connected to my hormones and I notice I seem to feel bad at a certain time every month. I think the potency of the med wouldn't be affected if you store it normally. I take that same med and I think my pharmacy gets them in a huge batch so for several months in a row I am probably taking pills that were all made at the same time.

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 06:09:30 PM »
Just a moment's humor ;D - The title of this thread sounds like something one of gentleman of the group might have posted.   :o

But no, I haven't had a cyclical loss of the effectiveness. The other thing is that I imagine the medicine itself is going to be of different ages when you purchase it - some might have been manufactured recently, and some several months ago.

Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

season

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 07:44:29 PM »
I take the generic and I haven't noticed anything like this.

Bopeep

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 02:46:04 AM »
Just a moment's humor ;D - The title of this thread sounds like something one of gentleman of the group might have posted.   :o

But no, I haven't had a cyclical loss of the effectiveness. The other thing is that I imagine the medicine itself is going to be of different ages when you purchase it - some might have been manufactured recently, and some several months ago.

hehe I had the exact same thought lol

Epson

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 11:20:28 AM »
No one knows exactly how long pill form drugs are good for, but it's a long time if stored correctly.  The government has a stockpile of 68,269 pounds of opium and morphine stored at Fort Knox and West Point, an amount that could satisfy the nation's legal needs for about a year. Most of these drugs date back to the cold war era and I have also read that some dates back to WWII.  They did process some of the aging opium into morphine, but I'm not sure why.