Author Topic: Whats for the evening meal a your house????  (Read 32863 times)

jordozmom

Re: Whats for the evening meal a your house????
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2010, 02:21:04 PM »
You guys are all my heroes!!!  I hate to cook and I'm not good at it.  I just don't "get" how to cook - it is not intuitive to me at all, though I'm a little better that I used to be because I've gotten more patient in my old age.  Then you add to the fact that I am so wiped out after work every day... recipe for disaster (pardon the pun).  Mostly I'm just trying to do semi-homemade where I buy the main course and build around it.  My family and I are starting to love those Hormel, Jennie O and like meals like meatballs and sauce or beef tips and gravy, then I just boil some noodles or rice and throw in a veggie and some fruit and we have a complete meal. 

I used to be so critical of myself that I didn't come home and make a homemade meal for my son, but I've decided to let myself off the hook and work with lots and lots of shortcuts.

Since my son doesn't really like anything anyway, it really doesn't matter if it homemade or not!!!
SJS, Raynauds, Distal Renal Tubular Acidosis, RA, peripheral neuropathy, COPD, RLS, leaky heart valve (caused by SJS), Lichen Sclerosis.
Plaquenil, Salagen, Sodium Bicarb, Klor-Con, Ambien, Methotrexate, COQ-10, VitD, Multivitamin, Omega 3, B12

genko_b

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2010, 09:54:27 AM »
You are right on the mark, Jordozmom. Most important is just to sit down and spend the time together eating with family than that you put a gourmet meal in front of your kids and get upset because they won't eat it.

Genko

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2010, 11:27:37 AM »
Night before Halloween...the cauldron (crockpot) is bubbling away with a seasonal brew (beans and pork hocks).

I know we all seem to love our crockpots/slowcookers, but I must admit...it drives me crazy, too....the house has such an inticing aroma all day and I can't dig in til suppertime!
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Bopeep

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2010, 01:07:21 PM »
Hi all
I cant resist telling you all we are having a real special treat tonight. A delicacy crayfish. Yumm my favourite decedent food. Horrifically expensive in our part of the world, but was given two nice size crayfish by a friend.
Really special, my mouth is watering already. YUMMM !!!!! LOL

genko_b

« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2010, 09:39:50 AM »
Crayfish! I haven't had any since I was a young adult, stopping by my aunt and uncle's place in SW Louisiana with my husband and our first child, who was a baby at the time. My aunt served a crawdad gumbo that was fantastic, crawdads from the bayou out back of their house. What a yummy memory.

We are stuck in a snowstorm here in Seattle that left our very hilly city pretty treacherous to travel. I just sent my husband off to work with a big thermos of split pea soup I made for us to eat yesterday, hoping he'll make it to work safely, but if not at least he'll have something warm to eat!

Genko

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2010, 10:27:30 PM »
I love reading all these meal ideas. I love to cook and enjoy eating also!!!!

Billdude, I have to ask about the brussels sprouts in the home made soup. I make a lot of soup in the crock pot but have never tried the sprouts. Is it a strong flavor or do you have a trick to tame down the flavor???? Curious. Irish ;D

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2010, 05:27:39 AM »
Left over turkey.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

pan.music

« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2010, 02:51:58 PM »
OK, I'll bite - what is corned silverside?

We had fresh vegetables from the farmers market - onions and romano beans - sauteed in olive oil with herbs and tossed over pasta with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Genko

SLEEPY101

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2010, 05:28:08 PM »
BBQ DRUMETTS AND FRIES. THIS IS JUST FOR THE KIDS. I AM STUFFED AND HAVE A TUMMY ACHE

Bopeep

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2010, 04:46:39 PM »
Sleepy I LOVE chips, in fact I LOVE spuds cooked any way at all. I chuckled when I read you stuffef yourself full. Id do that hehe

pan.music
corned silverside is a cut of beef that has been salted in a brine, a little like how they cure ham, although the taste is totally different to ham. If you get the chance you should try it, it really is yummy. Its also a bit salty.

Ssooo humm whats on the menu for tonight. I think anything thats quick and easy. Probably maccaroni cheese. That might go down well.

Mudpup

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2010, 05:39:01 PM »
I made a huge Shepard's Pie along with Salad. really comfort food  :) oh and topped off with a hot chocolate with a touch of ground ginger and a shot of Vanilla Vodka  :D

Calli66

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2010, 06:17:22 PM »
Baked sweet potato w/ butter, steamed spinach with lemon juice and olive oil, quinoa w/  roasted almonds and tamari sauce, Nut-Thin crackers. Hot sweet tea.

C

genko_b

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2010, 09:17:28 PM »
I would eat that, Calli.

Tonight we had a quick meal: Japanese-style fried noodles (yakisoba) with lots of broccoli, carrots, onions, and tofu, and fresh pickled ginger as a garnish, with tea.

Genko

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2010, 03:52:11 AM »
I hope it is beef roast with boiled potatoes and carrots.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

navydad

« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2010, 12:29:44 PM »
Subway,, 5 dollar hogie that me and my wife split