Author Topic: The top ten worst suggestions commonly given to someone with a chronic illness  (Read 33260 times)

slang

That's funny! When my kids tell me they have a stomach ache that is the first thing I say! Go to the bathroom and try to poop!  ;D

BonusMom

I saw an uncle recently who I hadn't seen in many years and he told me that all ineeded to do to cure ALL of my medical issues was to drink carrot juice and offered to whip me up a batch to take home with me.  Oh, and turn yellow/orange like you Uncle Jim?  No thank you!

bloodless

How funny Puppybreath! I'd forgotten all about the "go poop" remedy from childhood. That was soooo dumb!
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

meow

Homemade chocolate chip cookies and Noni juice!
I refuse to tiptoe quietly through life, only to arrive safely at death's door.

Sjogrens, Hashimotos, CFS.  Also, fast approaching CRS Syndrome ;)

Meld256

I've been out a while, but think this thread is very theraputic. Good Lord, what we've all heard for advice. I've gotten a lot of the "deer-in-the-headlights" looks. Great idea about mentioning along the lines of lupus, since most have a good idea that lupus is difficult.
If I start by explaining dry eyes and mouth, and am not detailed about HOW dry, I get someone saying their opthamologist told them THEIR eyes were "a little dry". (!)  One day I told asked one of those people if they could hear their eyelids sticking together like I can...couldn't help myself. Of course, they said, ohhh, noooo!

Thank goodness we have a place to compare the things we've heard goofy people say to us. :)
Melinda

Billydude

My mom has celiac as I do and whenever I try to tell her about my health things she immediately blames it on the food I'm eating.   I keep telling her its bigger than a food allergy.

bloodless

I get that from arthritis sufferers. They try to out arthritis me. And that chondroitin stuff is useless for ai arthritis.
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

Prairie Gal

Bloodless, I told my husband about the recent Swiss study that confirmed glucosomine-chondroitin does relieve arthritis.  He said his dr. told him it wouldn't hurt him so to take it if he felt it helped.  The power of the mind over the body...also known as the placebo effect.

Prairie Gal

OOPS!   I meant to type..."doesn't relieve arthritis."

Bobbie

What about "I probably have too much vitamin D in my body because of all of the time
I spend outside". 

I told him, "I have to supplement  because I had practically none and if I stop taking
my mega dose, I will take a dive in the vitamin D department".

Then he says, " I guess everyone in Michigan has really low vitamin D just like you ..........Not really.............

Oh my, 

Bobbie
Graves,Addison's,Sjogren's,Migraines,Restless Leg,Erosive Inflammatory Osteoarthritis,Peripheral Neuropathy,Osteoarthritis,RA, episcleritis
 Plaquenil, Prednisone, Florinef, Synthroid, Restasis, Evoxac,Zofran,Lexapro,Gabapentin,Maxalt,Naproxen,Divaloprex,Omerpazole,Methotrexate,Remicade

irish

• Global Moderator
How about the people who don't say a darn thing. They just ignore anything you may have said about health, doctors appt,etc. I have some relatives who are like this. I often wonder if they are mad because they can't compete with my illness.

Really makes you wonder where people brains are at and what they are thinking. Also, the ones who make little snide remarks in order to not affirm what you just said. I really think that they are jealous because the minute they get a hangnail they whine and moan and want attention. They ain't gonna get it from me!! :o Irish ;D

Tinker

WORST ADVICE OF ALL TIME:  Have a positive attitude and you'll get better.  Yeah, right. 

And that positive attitude will keep me hopping with energy and happiness!  Yeah, that's what I need.  BTW, I read a study recently that said that people who plan ahead for all kinds of problems are actually right on!  When do things ever go exactly as planned?  If having a positive attiude that everything was going to be fine would do the trick, then I wouldn't have had to resort to PLAN B, C, D, and F on many occasions.  lol

Tinker

Love this comment, Irish.  SOOOOOO true.

Tinker

Just finished reading this thread and really loved it.  Especially the noni juice.  Can't tell you how many times I've been told (by the distributor) that's all I need.  "I'm tellin' ya, it'll cure cancer, and constipation, and diabetes, heart disease and eczema, fibromyalgia and this and that......."   don't ya wanna ring their necks? 

Here's the latest:  I was asked at a ladies lunch about my health.  Not wanting to be too wordy, I simply replied that I had good days and bad days but I was doing ok.  (I never tell the truth cause no one wants to hear it.)  And one of the nasty older ladies said to me, "Now, let's not talk about illnesses.  We're here to have a nice lunch."

My reply:  "Janie ASKED me how I doing, and I gave her a 1 sentence answer, so no, we are not dwelling on illness."

I avoid this person at all costs.  She's toxic and not well liked because of her sour disposition.

BonusMom

And if it's not Noni Juice, it's Vemma, Zrii, POM, etc, etc.