Author Topic: prayers for my mom  (Read 10984 times)

lynnmarie219

Re: prayers for my mom
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2010, 11:34:35 AM »
So good to hear of your moms progress! I sure hope she gets to go home soon! You always do soooooo much better in your own home...your own bed...your own bathroom...well you get the picture.   ;)  And your dad will be happier too! 

Ohiocat

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2010, 05:28:57 PM »
Send some extra prayers for mom tonight and tomorrow morning.

Mom has been having these heart issues.   I guess it is something called an a-fib.   I guess it is a deal where part of your heart is beating at a different rate then the other half does.  Her heart acted up this morning when she was walking.

So they have decided that the only way to get her heart to get back into the right rhythm is to shock her heart.   So tomorrow morning they are going to shock her at about 7:00 am (eastern time)

I know this scares mom but the doctors think this is the best thing and they say they have not lost anyone yet in doing this. 

I really don't know much about a-fibs  or this kind of shock deal.  But all the good wishes we can send her way would be welcomed.
female 50+, no thyroid - levthyroxin 125mcg; Primary Sjogrens:  Dry mouth; Dry eyes-thera tears, Restasis twice daily;

PSFL17

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2010, 09:09:19 PM »
PRAYERS ARE FOR YOUR MOM < YOUR DAD & FAMILY!!

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2010, 08:12:55 AM »
Hi Ohiocat  :)

My best friend's husband had to have his heart stopped and restarted recently because it wouldn't beat rhythmically. He was scared too - but found the procedure wasn't as bad as he'd feared and better still - it sorted things out! He's abck at work now after about 5 months off.

Best wishes winging towards your Mom.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Katybarstool

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2010, 01:04:41 PM »
More prayers for your mum. I too have heard of people having this, and they have all come through it fine.

Hugs
Kathyx

Ohiocat

« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2010, 02:59:30 PM »
Thanks for your answers and good wishes.

This latest issue had me worried since I really did not understand the process, only knew that my mom was really scared.   And that of course frighen me.

According to Dad- "Mom is Stubborn"  (Yes that is Stubborn with a capital S"),   because they had to shock her heart 3 times before it decided to cooperate and get back to a completely normal rhythm. 

At any rate Mom is doing very well this evening now.  Everything fell into place this morning, since it turned out she had to get both a heart scan (to verify that there were no clots) and the shock treatment.   They would not have done the shock, if they had found any clots.   

And things fell in place doctor wise also.  One doctor did the scan and then Moms regular heart doctor did the shocks.   At first they thought that the shock would be done hours after the scan (because of the heart doctors schedule).  But everything came together so everything was done as a single operation.

So now Mom is trying to convince her doctors to allow her to go home tomorrow.  She said that she would agree to home care - where a nurse comes in daily to check up on things  (how she is healing and verifying all her vitals, etc.).  Her hope is with that, she might be out of the hospital sooner vs later.

Dad told me that Mom said to call the home number tomorrow instead of the cell number   (I have been calling the cell phone nightly since more often dad was at the hospital).  Mom is that hopeful that she will be home.

Thanks for all your prayers and explanations of this latest operation.
female 50+, no thyroid - levthyroxin 125mcg; Primary Sjogrens:  Dry mouth; Dry eyes-thera tears, Restasis twice daily;

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2010, 03:19:24 PM »
Ohiocat - glad to hear that Mom is back in rhythm again.   ;D  I keep hearing this song, "she's got the beat" in my head . . . LOL   :D

Keeping my fingers crossed that Mom WILL be released tomorrow.  I'm sure both she and Dad are anxious for her to be back home.

I'm sure you breathing a sigh of relief tonight too. 

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

lynnmarie219

« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2010, 05:48:32 PM »
Whewwwww!

Glad for the good news! I can only imagine the relief you all must feel...especially mom!

Ohiocat

« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2010, 04:32:10 PM »
Mom is now home and out of the hospital.  She is happy to be home.  But she is tired and obviously has lots more healing to do.  She says she has spots on her where she is burned - sort of like the level of a sunburn.  That is due to where they had shocked her.

And her throat is hurting a bit, since that last procedure - checking for clots, involved placing something down her throat.

But now that she is home, she figures that she will be able to sleep and rest a lot better.  It is peaceful and quiet at home --which is not what the hospital is.  (if dad makes too much noise - she can kick him out of the room.  She could not do that with her hospital room mate.)

They have agreed to have home care.  Which means a nurse will be coming in daily to check on Mom.  She will take her vitals and check the surgery incision.  Don't know how long that will be going on.  But having home care, means Mom is limited in being able to go places outside the house.  (There is some set of rules that have to be followed)

Thanks for all the good wishes. 

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2010, 04:52:55 PM »
Yay . . . glad your Mom is home. 

There's no place like home!   ;D

I don't know if this will be the case with your Mom, but with my Mom when she came home from the hospital and home health care came to the house they wanted to show us (family) how to change the bandages, check for infection, etc.

In my opinion, I don't think they should expect those who are untrained to take on these responsibilities.  My Mom ended up developing an infection in her incision cut even though I followed the instructions that were given.  (The nurse only came a few times a week and family tended to Mom the other days.) Like everything else, the agencies are looking to cut costs and this is one of the areas where they do that.

I hope in your Mom's case, that the home health person will handle all that and not expect your Dad to take on those responsibilities. 

Wishing your Mom a speedy recovery.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

lynnmarie219

« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2010, 07:10:30 PM »
So glad to hear that your mom is home! You are right...she will be able to rest more and heal faster! Hugs to you all!

Katybarstool

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2010, 01:47:49 PM »
Ohio

Thanks for your update. You must be so elieved that your mum is well enough to be back home, een if she will need care for a while.

HUgs
Kathyx

SeaBreeze2

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2010, 05:19:07 PM »
Good News that mom and 'dad' are home... its been a long couple of weeks for all of you...