Author Topic: prayers for my mom  (Read 10982 times)

Ohiocat

Re: prayers for my mom
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 05:37:57 PM »
Dad just called back.  She is in recovery now.  And he was out getting some food  (from panaro breads).
She will be in the recovery room for about a hour at least.   So that's why he felt he could now leave to get some food.

He said that the Doctors remove some masses and feel that this might solve a lot of the problems that she has been having off and on.  In addition they reexamined her and said there was absolutely no sign of cancer.  Dad also said that they had to remove a bit more but they did not say how much.

Mom already has a bit of an issue due to how much that they have removed in the past.  (When she has to go to the bathroom-- she has to go right now!)  Hopefully this will not make that problem worse for her.

She will most likely be spending several more days in the hospital healing (after all, Mom is 77 years old and does not heal as fast as she use to).  (Dad is now 80 years old this year, but I have no doubt he will be taking good care of her through this.)
female 50+, no thyroid - levthyroxin 125mcg; Primary Sjogrens:  Dry mouth; Dry eyes-thera tears, Restasis twice daily;

SeaBreeze2

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 06:56:54 PM »
That sounds like a very good update Ohiocat... I hope your mom continues to do well through the night and dad can get some rest...
Prayers going out for all of you...

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 07:27:58 PM »
Ohiocat - good news that Mom is out of surgery.  Wow, that was a l-o-n-g surgery!  I bet your Dad was hungry - bless his heart, he didn't want to eat until she was in recovery.  They should have someone come around with sandwiches or something and offer them to people waiting for people in surgery.

I'm glad to hear there is no cancer.  I'm sure that is a relief to the family.

I hope your mom has a speedy recovery and will feel better now that this mass has been removed.

Hopefully, everyone will get some sleep tonight - you included Ohiocat.   

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Katybarstool

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 11:31:35 PM »
Thanks for the update ohiocat. Your dad must be absolutely whacked. Prayers for them both.

Kathyx

ynevar

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 11:58:50 PM »
Sending prayers for a quick recovery and lots of support for them both and for you... Is always hard to deal with a family crisis long distance, *hugs*

-Y

Ohiocat

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 04:20:45 PM »
Found out from Dad this evening that Mom gave a few Nurses a fright this morning.

She is in the Surgery Intensive Care Unit - which means of course she is hooked up to all sorts of equipment.
Well her heart decided to go into some kind of rapid type heart beat, and of course all the different equipment was  not showing good numbers.

Made several people rush to her room.  They were actually considering using paddles on her, to get her heart back to a normal rate.  But I guess they did not have to.   Dad said the paddle equipment sat in her room most of the day, just in case.

She is getting pain medicine on demand,  where she pushes a button to get a dose.  Dad says she keeps getting these intense pains due to all the stuff that they did to her.  And she still has the hose down her nose, keeping her stomach drained.  (Her only nutrition is though her IV).

Dad did say they might get her up out of bed for the first time tomorrow.   No word as to how long she will be in the S-ICU or how long she will be in the hospital.

Dad also said that she has the q-tip type things that she can use on her lips and teeth.  (sounded like they might be flavored some how ??).   So Mom goes to use one of these, and then falls asleep - mouth open, q-tip in hand.

It's hard not being able to visit her and see how she is doing.   This distance thing just ------  is not fun.  (okay I cleaned up my language on that one)
female 50+, no thyroid - levthyroxin 125mcg; Primary Sjogrens:  Dry mouth; Dry eyes-thera tears, Restasis twice daily;

lynnmarie219

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 07:25:58 PM »
Ohiocat,

Thanks for the updates.

I'm glad to hear the surgery is over and hope your mom gets on the mend soon. Sounds like a scary night though...sure hope that doesn't happen again! Slowly but surely the tubes, IVs, and all that stuff will start to disappear as she feels better....that will be nice for your dad to see.   

Still keeping you all in my thoughts! 

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 08:19:07 PM »
Ohiocat - I'm glad your moms heart situation cleared up on its own and they didn't have to paddle her.  (sounds like she's been a bad girl and needs a paddling . .  ::))

The times I've seen those swabs they use for the mouth they are lemon flavored.

I've been in your shoes with the distance thing when my mom was in the hospital following a heart attack and I was 480 miles away.  The updates by phone just aren't the same as being there in person.

As Lynnmarie said - slowly all the tubes your mom has right now will come out.  Once they get a patient up and moving things seem to happen quicker.  Wishing your mom a speedy recovery.

Hugs,
Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Elida

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 11:40:54 PM »
I'm so sorry to read about all you mother had to go through and still is going through, and I'm sorry that the distance between you is long.

I also believe that when the tubes and all the "stuff" comes off her, it will be moving in the right direction.

You'll all be in my prayers.

YYC_ Mommy

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 07:13:05 AM »
Ohiocat, you and your family are in my thoughts.

I can only imagine how hard it is to be so far away.

Ohiocat

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 04:58:20 PM »
So yesterday they had mom sitting in a chair for a few hours.

She still has tube down nose.  No food, just getting stuff through the IV.

Tonight however Dad was already at home when I called.  It seems Mom was sleeping in the afternoon when he came back from lunch and the nurse told him just to let her sleep since she has had a few rough nights.
After watching her sleep a bit, he headed home to do grocery shopping and laundry (just to try and catch up to things)

At least I did not have to yell on the phone today (or yesterday).  Still no hearing aids, but he happen to remember that he had gotten this one piece of equipment.  It is advertised as something you can use to listen to what your neighbors are saying about you from across the street.  So it has a head set and an amplifier.   

So Dad is using this for now, until the Dr gets his hearing aids fixed.   It was nice be able to talk at a more regular voice instead of half-shouting to make sure that he could hear me.

Dad seems to think that Mom is feeling less pain. Doctors are not giving him any ideas of how long she might be in the hospital.   He had mention yesterday that she seemed to be having some hallucinations,  but they thought that was left over from some medicine. 

It frightens me to think that she is not completely clear headed.  Not sure why that bothers me so much.  But I do know that grandmother (her mom) had some hallucinations the week prior to her death.  Maybe that is why it scares me some.

So please continue to keep her in your prayers.  This seems like it is going to be a very long process.

Prairie Gal

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 05:33:31 PM »
Ohiocat, I live thousands of miles from where my mother does and know how frustrating and worrying it is to be far away.  My nephew lives in the same community and is very good at helping her through various health crises -- she's 89.   But it's not the same as being there myself.

The hallucinations you mention may be an aftereffect of anesthesia; my Dad had that problem after his surgeries and really scared my mother.  He was in his late 70s, so age may be a factor.  Her brother had surgery at age 83 and said some really weird things that scared his wife.   She said it sounded like he was out of his head.  In both cases, it took a while for them to get back to normal.  I've read that older patients react differently to drugs.

I hope this finds your mother doing a little bit better each day so you can worry a bit less. Take care.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2010, 07:00:45 PM »
Thanks for the update Ohiocat.

I agree, from what I hear, anesthesia for the older generation is harder for their bodies to handle and clear from their system. 

I'm glad your conversation with dad went better with him using that hearing amplifier and you didn't have to shout at him for him to hear you.

I hope with each new day your mom is feeling better and better.

((Ohiocat))

Bucky

Katybarstool

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 12:14:27 PM »
Ohio

Has your mum had morphine? My uncle had hallucinations when he was on that.

Hugs for you and your mum.

Kathyx

Ohiocat

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 04:15:14 PM »
This evening actually got to talk to Mom for a little bit.  She sounded a bit weak and tired but mostly rational.   She said that she had a "bath" today, which as about a two hour process.

Still no food and still have tube down her nose.   It seems that they want her to pass some gas, before they will look at removing the tube and then they will talk about her having some kind of liquid diet.  But her system needs to pass gas to prove that it is working before she can get to that next step.