Author Topic: Costochondritis in lower ribs?  (Read 34315 times)

Liz D.

Costochondritis in lower ribs?
« on: September 24, 2010, 06:28:42 AM »
Is it possible to get costochondrits in just the cartilage of your lower ribs?  I have been to the doctors twice this week and in excrutiating pain.  Thought it was a gall bladder attack at first.  They took an ultrasound of my gall bladder, pancreas, liver and kidneys.  Everything looked fine and I got sent home.

Couldn't stand the pain in lower ribs and abdomen everytime I took a breath.  So called the doctors again and asked desperately for help.  Yesterday they took an x-ray of my ribs thinking I had broken a rib, but I hadn't.  Now they think it is costochrondritis in the lower ribs only on my right side.

As anyone ever had that before?  I have had costochrondritis before and it was my whole chest that ached, not just one area.

Anyway, they put me on Naprosyn, Vicodin, ice and bed rest.  I hope it helps!  I am about to lose my mind with the pain!

Liz D.
57 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 200 mg; Levoxyl 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Hormone Replacement Therapy, vitamins, calcium, flaxseed, biotin

Daisy1234

Re: Costochondritis in lower ribs?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 06:37:01 AM »
Hi Liz:

Yes I have had costochondritis for years and I only have it in my left side in my lower rib area.   I will go thru a flare with it just like any other part of my body, so the pain comes and goes as it does with anything inflammation wise, but will make me clutch my chest when the knive-like pains are going full bore and can last a couple of weeks to a bit longer for me at a time.  I have primary Sjs with extraglandular complications and to tell the truth not much surprises me anymore with the impact that Sjs can have on our bodies. 

Hope you feel better soon,

Daisy

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 06:38:46 AM »
Liz, at least they gave you some thing for it. Most people that I know that have it like me, are told to live with it. I hope the meds work for you,
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Liz D.

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 06:55:20 AM »
Daisy,

Your description of your pain with knives is so true.  I have been cluthing my chest all week!

Also interesting that it is part your flares.  Last week when I started with the pain, I also had my glands in my neck swell and was in terrible 'flare' pain with that as well.

The costochondritis is probably something I should be more away of now when I do have a flare.

And Joe S., you are right!!  At least they gave me something for the pain!!  I am thankful for that.

Liz D.
57 year old female
Meds:  Plaquenil 200 mg; Levoxyl 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Hormone Replacement Therapy, vitamins, calcium, flaxseed, biotin

DragonflyC

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 07:36:32 AM »
That sounds like pleurisy, which definitely can happen with Sjogren's (even though it's more common w/ lupus).

Shani

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 07:59:37 AM »
I have costochondritis, it's a very stabbing pain on both sides of my ribs and it also goes to my chest.
Doctor told me to take painkillers for it and Inderal for the rapid heart beatings, as it's difficult to breathe sometimes due to the pain.
It usually gets worse when I flare badly or everything else hurts.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 08:09:42 AM »
Hi  :)

costochondtritis - though not typically - can hurt round the back as well. My GP told me that basically it is connective tissue inflammation that is autoimmune related.

Hope you feel better soon.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Sissy

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 12:40:59 PM »
I also have had the costochondritis. I am well aware of how painful it is, even to breath or touch my ribcage.  I get injections of steroids between my ribs which does relieve alot of the pain. I am so very fortunate that my physician believes in pain management. I have chronic pain syndrome so I can deal with the majority of the pain as long as I rest. It's a problem when my pain cycle is broken. I do everything in my power to make sure that doesn't happen. Ask your provider if injections would work for you.

YYC_ Mommy

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 04:40:46 PM »
Gosh, this is really interesting to me!

I had pain many times in my right side by my ribs, sometimes radiating into my bad. My GI doctor thought maybe it had something to do with Sjogrens but wanted to be sure so she sent me to a surgeon.

Off I went to a surgeon for a consult and he said sounds like your gall bladder but lets run some tests. HIDA scan came back normal.....he said that he would still like to remove my gallbladder but was only 80% sure that it was my gall bladder so that even after surgery I MIGHT still have the pain and problems.

Went back to my GI doctor and she said that she would not recommend the surgery as the HIDA scan was normal and she really thinks that it is something else and maybe related to Sjogren's.

I wonder if this is what I might have experienced? The pain was absoultely terrible. Interesting, I am going to keep my eye on this. Thanks for sharing this!

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 05:26:54 PM »
Hi  :)

If its costochondritis the bones actually hurt to touch. Even light pressure hurts. It's not right inside them - it's them.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

newhorizons

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 07:42:47 PM »
Have had the ribs have flares for years.  When in 30s before ever thinking of SS or even AI disease, several times during the years local GI diagnosed me with pleurisy and bronchitis and on few occasions, pneumonia.

After JH diagnosis of Sjogren's, soon was diagnosed as being Costochondritis...instead of pleurisy.

My ribs have hurt in upper R side for the last couple months.  Ask my health sports coach what this could be. She mentioned that the front and back rib cage connected at my side.  And, there were two ribs that did not directly connect with the sternum in the front and could be causing pain as I am beginning to do strength training again...  

On Thursday she dropped weight on upper-body machines and 'sure enough' I am not as sore today as I had been. Do not have any upper drainage or allergy at this time so think I understand something else about why pain in my body.

Something else for you folks to 'ponder'! :-\   Any comments are welcomed.  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:51:42 PM by newhorizons »

Liz D.

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 09:48:39 AM »
All your comments are so interesting.  Ten days ago, when I started with it, my husband said it is probably that thing you had years ago when your cartilage in your chest was inflamed.  I dismissed him thinking it couldn't be that because the pain now is only in my lower ribs. 

Now I know it can happen anywhere.  I just wish these NSAID's would kick in soon.  It has been two days on them and I am still miserable.  Getting sick of staying in bed because that is all I can do.  Hope it will not go on for weeks, but all the research I have done and you guys said it can!!

It doesn't help that is it almost 90 degrees here today, but tomorrow is going to be 60 degrees.  That is sure to put me in a bigger flare!!!

Glad to know others understand.

Liz D.
57 year old female

Daisy1234

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 11:48:43 AM »
Liz, one other comment.  If you find that the type of NSAID that you have been put on isn't working, make sure to get a hold of your doctor and try a different prescription anti-inflammatory.  In my case, Naproxen never worked for my inflammatory issues and I had to switch to another med for it to help.  Just something to keep in mind. 

Hugs,
Daisy

Liz D.

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 09:46:29 AM »
Daisy, that is interesting about the NSAIDs.  I was on Naproxen daily for about 5 years and it worked.   I stopped (slowly)  last year due to stomach issues.   I figured this time with the costochondritis it was taking longer than normal because my body was just so familiar with Naproxen.  I do have ibuprofen in the house as well and maybe I'll try that.

On a whole though, I think I am seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.  Don't feel great, but can at least breath without major pain.  All you guys on this forum are great to support me and one another!!  I truly feel, we we probably all do, that the most accurate and helpful info comes from this forum!!!

Liz D.
57 year old female

Sissy

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 10:13:24 AM »
Ditto ....