Author Topic: Dry mouth just beginning  (Read 1645 times)

deniselb

Dry mouth just beginning
« on: February 02, 2014, 03:07:35 PM »
I had my doubts about whether I actually had Sjogren's until about three weeks ago, as the only dryness I had was in my nose. But now I'm definitely noticing the mouth feeling drier. Only a little, but I'm thinking about what's next.

How dry were you when you first started having dental problems?

How quickly did the dry mouth progress from the time you first noticed it?

What dental routine do you follow?

Any advice appreciated. I'm terrified of losing my teeth.

ohiolady

Re: Dry mouth just beginning
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 03:34:17 PM »
I went dry overnight, literally!  Severe dry mouth and dry eye.  I take Evoxac for dry mouth and it helps tremendously.  Nothing is as good as our own saliva and that is what Evoxac dies, it stimulates our own saliva.  I have had three cavities in 7 years.  Prior to Sjogrens my teeth were strong and I hadn't had a cavity in 25 years. 

Good luck to you.

Anna
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:14:57 PM by ohiolady »
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

Jasper

• P SJS; SFN; Sensory Polyneuropathy/Ganglionopathy
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 04:00:07 PM »
I have had a dry mouth for several years, probably since the 1990s. It has gradually gotten worse as the years progress. However, I know it is not as severe as some on this forum have. Still, it is bothersome.

I know it has been several years that I always have water with me, no matter where I am. It has also been years that I have slept with water at my bedside. So this has been going on for awhile.

I did not have any dental problems (that I know of) from the dry mouth until I was on a 48 weeks treatment with drugs that severely dry out ones mouth. During that time I developed gingivitis and my gums began receding. After I finished with those drugs, my gums have improved and I no longer have gingivitis. I bring this up because, during that 48 week period of time, my mouth was exceedingly dry, so dry that I could not swallow at times,  and I know that extreme dryness caused the gingivitis and the gum recession. Therefore, anything that can be done to lessen the dry mouth should be done.

Currently my mouth and gums are in fairly good shape even though my mouth is dry (but not nearly as dry as it was during those 48 weeks of treatment with those drugs).

So, you ask how quickly does it progress. I think that is individual. My dry mouth, while annoying, is not nearly as severe as many people have  even though I have had a dry mouth for years.

Here is my dental routine:

*Oil pull every morning  (I take a spoonful of organic cold pressed unrefined sesame oil and swish it around in my mouth, pulling it back and forth between my teeth, for 15 minutes. Then I spit it out into the garbage. Then I brush my teeth.)
*Floss teeth after every meal
*Brush teeth after every meal
*Use Biotine mouth wash
*Dental cleaning and exam, at least every 6 months (I had a cleaning every 3 months when I developed gingivitis and gum recession.)(Now I am back to every 6 months.)
*Drink water and/or rinse my mouth every time I feel it getting dry.

I know others on the forum use some other products to increase saliva but I don't use any additional products except when I was flying I had some zinc drops which helped.

Link to oil pulling article:

foodmatters.tv/articles-1/oil-pulling-the-habit-that-can-transform-your-health

I think the oil pulling helps my teeth stay cleaner and makes my mouth feel better.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 02:37:19 AM by Linda196 »
ANA 1:160; SS-A+; MSG +; Plaquenil, Rituxan infusions, Restasis, HRT, Curcumin, Calcium, CoQ10, NAC, Resveratrol, Whole Omega, Omega 3, R Lipoic Acid, Acetyl L Carnitine, Krill Oil, Mag. Threonate, Bio-Collagen UC II, NAD+, & Vit A, B, C, D, E, K 1 & 2.

SjoGirl

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 04:34:13 PM »
I was very dry at first, so dry that my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth at night. Then is subsided after I had an h pylori infection treated (that may have been what was drying me out, not the SjS).

Dryness started getting progressively worse late last summer, accelerated after I had a bout with a very bad virus this past fall. I still make saliva, but not nearly as much.

My last cleaning was difficult, worst I can recall. Will see what happens with the next one.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.