Author Topic: Anyone have a normal sed rate?  (Read 36450 times)

Rhonda

Re: Anyone have a normal sed rate?
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2010, 12:47:20 PM »
Mine ranges between 1 and 4... like NavyDad says - I can't beleive we aren't all touting a much higher rate!

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2010, 04:38:22 PM »
My sed rate has never, ever been elevated. Usually around the 1- 4. Kind of interesting when I have some other numbers that show high antibodies that are through the rood. Like I say, blood work is not what it is cracked up to be. Irish ;D

Catilee2

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2010, 08:47:26 PM »
Hi,
  My Sed rate is usually normal, yet my ANA and Sjogren's  antibodies are through the roof (and my WBC is always below normal).  Good Question Navy dad. I have often wondered the same thing. Even with the IvIg  there are days when the neuropathy is very annoying and limiting.
My Rheumy pays more attention to the antibodies and some of the other tests and always checks for joint swelling and the appearance of inflammation in them.
We do present a broad spectrum of results, don't we?

Catilee 2

Prairie Gal

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 02:53:58 PM »
The comments about our 'normal' lab tests remind me of what my rheumy said a couple of years ago:  I was taught to treat the patient -- not the lab tests.

bloodless

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 06:24:02 AM »
I'm with Rhonda. I'm really shocked that most people's sed rate are so low. I really thought mine would be on the lower end of the scale in this group.
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

DesignerS

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2010, 06:46:45 AM »
Mine has been on the higher side for years, ever since I was diagnosed with Raynauds.
When I saw my Rheumy a month ago, I was in the most pain I have had ever, and it was actually Lower.  Not normal, but lower.  So it must not mean very much in the scope of things.

Designer

Julie

• My reflection is not ME any more.
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2010, 10:38:22 AM »
Mine is always high...fluctuating from the 30's to the high 60's.  Just had it drawn 2 weeks ago.  The nurse called to say it's 43.  But..the docs never do anything about it beyond telling me it's high.   So, what is the point of having had the lab drawn? 

I am not on any meds except Protonix.  Have been told I am not a candidate for Salagen or Evoxac since I have chronic lung problems.  It could cause more infections.  And when the Rheumy asked me if I've ever tried Placquenil and I told her no, she said it's really only given for those who have pain from arthritis.

Julie

Prairie Gal

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2010, 12:58:49 PM »
Julie, my rheumy -- and I suspect a number of others -- prescribed Plaquenil because it's a DMARD (disease-modifying antirheumatic drug) that slows down the progression of the disease.  I was Dx'd early and my symptoms aren't progressing very quickly, so it's working as intended in my case.   I've never heard that it's strictly for pain.   My muscles and joints don't ache as often or as much as they did the first couple of years after the Dx, so apparently it  helped me in that regard.

bloodless

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2010, 06:15:22 AM »
So, what is the point of having had the lab drawn?

Sed rate and CRP are inflammation markers. When you're immune system is being a busy little beaver you will often have inflammation in the body. When my sed rate is between 40 and 60 I have difficulty walking even with my cane. I usually have lung issues. GERD goes bizerk. Brain fog goes into overdrive. It all depends on where the swelling is.

Spider

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2010, 08:18:36 AM »
Hi

My ESR is always around 11 yet i have SLE & Sjogrens.

My hands and feet can be really swollen and my ESR is still around 11.

Epson

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2010, 08:22:34 AM »
I have always found this to be confusing, mine fluctuates from normal to  slightly high when tested.  I find no correlation between
the pain I'm feeling and the sed rate, but that being said, as has been mentioned, neurologically based pain would probably not effect the sed rate.

Even at times when I had some obvious inflammation, it didn't always show up in my sed rates. I get tested twice a year for sed rates, so who knows what is happening between visits.

Julie

• My reflection is not ME any more.
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2010, 12:38:47 PM »
So, what is the point of having had the lab drawn?

Sed rate and CRP are inflammation markers. When you're immune system is being a busy little beaver you will often have inflammation in the body. When my sed rate is between 40 and 60 I have difficulty walking even with my cane. I usually have lung issues. GERD goes bizerk. Brain fog goes into overdrive. It all depends on where the swelling is.

In general, I can usually tell when my labs are going to come back more elevated based on how I feel too.  I just get frustrated with spending more and more $$ at the docs and on labs, when in my particular case, the docs say I can't take the medication.

It IS good to know if there is inflammation in your system and to try and keep in as low as possible.  I'm glad the medications are working for many of you.

Take care and feel better, everyone.
Julie

bloodless

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2010, 08:19:05 AM »
I'd be interested to know what anti-inflammatories everyone is taking. I'm on Meloxicam, but still have a sed rate and CRP. I tried that decla - something once and it made me real sick. The last thing the rheumy talked about was rituxan, but I think that just waps down your immune system. I don't know. What do you guys take?

gurs

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2010, 04:42:26 AM »
My rheumy just told me last week that most of her Sjogrens patients dont have an elevated sed rate......
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Patze

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2010, 04:52:51 AM »
Interesting gurs, as my SED rate went up after the thyroid called down, go figure (it hasn't been "normal" or below in years now).  The CRP is at the top of the scale, but has not gone over (figures ;)). 

I've never been on anti-inflammatories other than OTC stuff.

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen