Author Topic: Anyone have a normal sed rate?  (Read 36449 times)

sunshine

Re: Anyone have a normal sed rate?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 06:57:24 PM »
I also have a normal sed rate. I tested positive for the ANA and the SS-A though. Do you have any symptoms?  I don't seem to have any.  I haven't been dx with anything yet, but I hope my doctor has some answers next month when I go back to see him.  From what I've learned, it could take sometime to get a dx.

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 08:32:49 PM »
I have had a high sed rate for the past 15 years. How much before that I don't know. It now stays around in the 30's , but had got up in the 50's.

susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Carebear

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 08:33:24 PM »
Hi Sunshine,

I'm curious (a.k.a. nosey)...why did your doctor test you for ANA and Sjogren's antibodies if you had no symptoms?
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

DragonflyC

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 09:28:25 PM »
I'm another who consistently tests normal for SED and ESR but positive ANA (1:640 last time it was tested) and positive SS-A. 

My SJS is undeniable.  Started w/ dry eyes and then dry mouth followed.  Joint pain, fatigue, and all the rest of it in abundance.  Definitely autoimmune, as are my Hashimoto's (I tested positive for anti-thyroid antibodies) and Raynaud's (as determined by a nailfold capillaroscopy test).

Epson

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 09:56:15 PM »
My sed rates have been normal and slightly elevation with the same amount of joint discomfort, I don't think it means as much as we think it does.

Cactus

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 01:50:30 AM »
My sed rate when first dx was 44 and my latest (May 2010) was 32. The plaquenil helps a little but I ache a lot and feel as stiff as a tree! I was put on steriods

but as we know you can't be on them for long periods.

My plan is to be as healthy and fit as I can, if I'm leaner then hopefully there will be less inflammation and weird stuff that we soggies have to adapt to.

gurs

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 04:15:16 AM »
Navydad,

Funny you mentioned porphyria..I keep thinking that is maybe something you should look into? You have alot of those symptoms too.
I guess the only way to tell with this is through a DNA test?

My sed rate is always normal..doc said alot of the med's we are on, such as steriods, etc can have alot to do with the test results.

gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

sunshine

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 06:01:40 AM »
Hi Carebear

First your not being nosey.  We're all trying to figure this out, anyway we can.  I started with hives.  My doctor decided to run some tests to see what I was alergic to, but it came back neg, but my ANA and SS-A came back borderline high.
I don't seem to have any symptoms as yet, but I take different vitamins, so maybe something I'm taking is helping, I don't know at this point, or because it's a slow progressive disease, it justed hasn't reared its ugly head yet.  I 've been reading a few good books, and trying to understand what's going on, just on the hives alone, there are so many things that can be causing them.  It gets pretty frustrating!  
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 06:23:31 AM by sunshine »

kwolfsheimer

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 07:49:58 AM »
Years ago, before I was diagnosed, my sed rates were really high-- 35, 52, 27.   The last time I had it checked it was 9.  I mentioned how much my sed rates fluctuate and the rheumotologist acted like I was crazy.  He didn't have my previous lab results so I asked him to request them so he could see for himself.  Of course, I can't get any information out of him, so I have some questions if anybody knows the answers:

1.  Do SED rates fluctuate by large degrees?  I notice that mine are the highest when I am having a flare of joint pain in my hands, but seems to be unrelated to inflammation in my hips.

2. Are SED rates connected to C-Reactive Protein rates?  My last SED rate was low but CRP was very high.

3. Does taking anti-inflammatories reduce SED rates?  If so, should you stay on them if you are having a blood test or is that considered?

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 08:25:14 AM »
1/ Sed rates, aka ESR, do fluctuate, as a variable response to inflammation in some people. Usually, inflammation causes the serum of the blood to "thicken" ( actually become more viscous) which causes slowing of the settling rate of cells through it, which is what Sed rate measures...the rate of erythrocyte (red blood cell) sedimentation (settling). It can climb quite quickly, but sometimes takes a long time to return to pre-inflammation levels, so is not terribly accurate for acute inflammation.

2/ Sed rate and C-reactive Protein both measure inflammation, but in different ways. The ESR is more indirect, but the CRP actually measures proteins produced by the cells when they are inflammed, and so is more direct, and reacts more quickly to changes in the inflammation.

3/Anti-inflammatories will, over time, reduce the Sed Rate, but only if no more inflammation develops. For proper interpretation of the test, however, your doctor should be aware of everything you take, including some seemingly unrelated things like blood thinners and supplements that can cause blood thinning, since they would have an influence on the viscosity of the serum and change the results.

As for me...I haven't had a normal ESR in 35 years! For the first 25-28 of those years, it was consistently over 100, often over 150. Not until I started taking Prednisone, Methotrexate and Plaquenil, 8 years ago, did it start to drop, and my last one a month ago was 34! Oddly enough, I don't find any less discomfort when it's lower, although a nurse once said (when she saw the ESR of 130)...that's gotta hurt! Personally I don't think it's a direct ratio.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

bloodless

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010, 11:34:39 AM »
I've never had a normal CRP or Sed rate. Sed rate runs from the 40s to 60s for several years. The higher it is the more I'm hurting. I do take the anti-inflammatory meloxicam and am on plaquenil among others, but they never get rid of the infllamation. Of course, that much joint pain has really cramped my style. I really miss the super active lifestyle I once had. I'm trapped in my body now.
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

Prairie Gal

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 03:04:04 PM »
My SED rate measures from 19 to 21.  My CRP goes up a bit occasionally,but not a lot.  Don't remember the numbers on it.

puccini914

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2010, 03:28:38 PM »
My sed and crp are usually within normal ranges, but sill feel pretty bad most of the time.  So go figure, huh?

tangowhiskie

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2010, 06:54:56 PM »
My ESR has tested at 22 (when my ANA was 1:1280) and 27 (when my ANA was 1:320) in the past few months.  Against the normal range on the lab results (1-20), it's high, but I've read that most doctors consider anything over 40 high.  I felt worse when it came back as a 22 versus the 27.  Who knows.

malditogrillo

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2010, 05:42:44 PM »
mine has always been normal.   same with my crp. 

I  was sick with swollen lymph nodes all over my body and stiff joints and hives and everything was normal.

my body does not like tests.