Author Topic: Yo Yo weight anybody  (Read 2944 times)

Gerty

Yo Yo weight anybody
« on: August 28, 2010, 08:17:29 PM »
2 years ago I lost about 30 kilos  :o and have manage to maintain the weight until just before Autumn that is norm for me to add a kilo or so before winter as I norm loose it again when weather warms up but early Autumn this year I piled on about 10 kilos really fast. Then I started to drop by a few now If I go to put some jeans on from day to day I don't know if they will fit me or not. My weight has been up and down up and down since Autumn and I mean by about 4 kilos or more up and about the same back down in a week or less. nothing has changed over winter at all I just don't know why there is such a big yo yo thing going on here never before have I gained or lost weight so rapidly. So anybody else been having such big gains and losses in a very short time is it a sjs thing. or any clues to what it could be. I'm not on any meds either.

Suzie

Re: Yo Yo weight anybody
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 10:54:18 PM »
It screams THYROID to me.

My weight did just the same thing when my thyroid went haywire. Did you have any symptoms with the weight loss like anxiety or sleeplessness?

And with the weight gain, did you feel even more tired than usual, lose hair, feel cold?

It's well worth getting tested. If your thyroid isn't functioning properly than no amount of dieting or exercise will shift the weight.

Go get tested! You want TSH, Free T3, Free T4 and thyroid auto-antibodies.

Good luck!

Suzie

Gerty

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 11:47:16 PM »
Suzi thanks for this information sleeplessness no tired than usual, yes but I have just found out my S.L.E has just came back after remmission of over 10 years so I put my tiredness down to that I knew It was coming back I could feel it pains that said oh yes I remember that lose hair,No feel cold yes but its winter here but I have also just been DXed with Raynaud's with no doubt the Dr said.so that is why I'm cold esp my hands and feet and fingers and toes

shevonne

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 12:30:13 AM »
At least your weight goes up and down!  My weight has only been going up for months!  My dr says my thyroid is at the right level so I was thinking maybe its this Sjorgren's thing.  Its hard for me to exercise like i use to because I give out of breath so easily!  Im told that Im not that big but Im bigger than I ever have been in my lifetime!  Its depressing for me.  Im going to try water exercises!  Im gonna try anything even if I have to pass out doing it  :o!  Maybe not go that far ;)!

Gerty

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 12:49:14 AM »
shevonne I can fully understand where your coming from I was big I was 114 Kilos dropped down to 82 kilos and for no reason at all my weight went up to over 90 kilos again from that I start to drop back down to about 87 88 and back up again I some times get up to 94 kilos I just can't understand it after the meds I was on for my S.L.E I gained a Hugh lot of weigh and could not for life of me lose it and then all of a sudden wham I just started to lose it from Australian size 26 to about 12 in tops and 14 in jeans I was amazing but now I feel like I just don't want to go back there so very careful about any meds and foods I take to make sure it never happens again.

LizPetillo

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 03:47:13 AM »
I've lost 50 pounds in 4 months.  My thyroid was tested and is fine.  I had to give my clothes away to goodwill.  It's still dropping.  I think it's the anti-inflammatory diet that I'm forced to do.  ANY sugar or carb and my tongue will swell.  So that's probably it.  I need calories.  God .. I never thought I'd be saying that.  Before this I was slightly pudgy.  Now ... yikes!

sleeeepy

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 10:45:59 AM »
Liz,  I just dropped 20 pounds in 3 months. Yes, my doc says it is because of the Plaquenil and Naproxen cutting down the inflammation in my body therefore causing the water retained around the inflamed cells to come out. It is scary though at first I thought OMG I am dying...sudden weight changes like that scared me.  Just wonder what kind of damage all that extra weight I carried around for years in my cells and against my nerves and muscles did...yikes. I guess time will tell.

You are not alone with this my dear :)

Take care.............Mary

harlin

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 04:19:12 PM »
I dropped 40 lbs in about 4 months. But since bottoming out at 118 I am on a steady incline again. I don't want to gain all that weight back again. I am now at about 124. I would like to keep it about 120. I am 5'5" tall. I try to walk every day but I am having a terrible craving for chocolet. Imagine that. :-\

navydad

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 05:01:28 PM »
when all this started I was at 165, i;m down to 138 now,,, none of my clothese fit, they kinda just hang on me,,, no explanation is ever given for this loss of weight,, I have been eating as much as I can,, but with the stomach issues,, i;m afraid to eat,, plus with the hands the way they are,, SIGH,,, I need eating utensils that have handles as big as broom sticks so I can feel them,,,
  I see my GP tomorrow,, we;ll see what he has to say about all this,, ya right

Gerty

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 07:37:13 PM »
I can understand weight gain or weight loss but I can't understand how the weight can be such a yo yo up and down in a very short space of time a couple kilos up and a couple kilos down from week to week or even days I never use to be one for jumping on scales like this but its not until I put something on and it fits or it don't fit the next week. Its very odd and also its not just a few hundred grams but a few kilos in this time. With med and things that can also talk over our bodies I can understand weight either way but not like this and I'm not on any meds its just very odd. I think Ill have to do what Suzie and get my thyroid cheeked never heard of thyroid doing this but it must. Thank you to every body that made a comment tho Ill keep you posted but I'm not in any rush right at the moment cause I don't or I don't think I have other symptoms. Ill go and ask Mr google cause he knows everything LoL thanks again

Epson

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 09:45:49 PM »
I can loose or gain 10 pounds in just a couple of days, I think it happens when my kidneys decide to go on vacation.

Gerty

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 09:57:10 PM »
Thanks Epson thats a lot I don't seem to go that far in a short time but sometimes I do I don't think I have a kidney problem tho but the information is always good.

Pegasus47

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 12:47:31 PM »
Hi all:

I am on the south beach diet forever.  No carbs, no sugar, cut down salt low fat.  High protein, raw veges, non-fat cottage cheese, nuts.  I am keeping my weight down and steady. 

I do find water retention to be one of the key factors of weight gain for me - cutting down salt really helps, and exercise like crazy.

pegasus

Daisy1234

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 02:14:33 PM »
I have the same problem as Liz, got weight issues, that is trying to hang on to it.  Have lost alot of weight, dropped 10lbs recently and am 5'9" and now weigh about 128lbs, if I haven't lost another lb today that is.  The gastro aspect of Sjs is doing this to me, so difficult to swallow, then even keeping the food down some days.  Darn that gastroparesis!  My gastroenterologist has told me to bulk up on Ensure, liquid being much easier supposedly to digest so that's what I'll do as soon as I can get to the grocery store.  I've just gotten my IV for antibiotics for a bad staph infection finally out this PM so I should be a little more mobile to do that.

Gerty, I second what Suzie says, really sounds like hypothyroid issues might be at fault with your yo yo weight.  Please take care of yourself and get that checked out.  So sorry to hear that your SLE is back.  :(

Hugs,
Daisy

Gerty

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 03:18:18 PM »
Thanks for everybody that posted this has been great I have googled hypothyroid and symptoms seem to match but from what I read was weight gain not both but will get it cheeked out the next time I see the Dr I'm sorta doctored out right now and don't need any more DXs so ill see how it goes at least there is something there for me keep a cheek on thanks again