Author Topic: Yet another thing  (Read 2938 times)

Madderakka

Yet another thing
« on: August 24, 2010, 03:47:30 PM »
While I was camping, my right big toe began hurting. I chalked it up to all the walking and didn't think much of it until I went to bed the night we came home. I noticed it was swollen, so I looked and the nail was ingrown. I clipped it and thought it would be fine, but it just kept hurting (maybe TMI warning) and it started getting puss-y.

I've always been a "leave it and it'll be fine" person, but by Saturday night it was keeping me from walking very much and of course I tripped and it felt like a shard of glass being shoved in my toe. I read Daisy's post which reminded me that as much as I like to think I'm Super Woman, sometimes you do need doctors, so Monday morning I booked an appointment with a podiatrist for this (Tuesday) afternoon.

As soon as the doctor came in, she looked at it and said she had to take part of the nail off because the infection was too bad to try antibiotics on their own. If she left it, the infection could set into the bone. She asked what I thought had happened since this was my first ingrown nail, so I had to tell her about Sjogrens and me starting to trip a lot.

I also learned that I have something weird with my body and numbing meds because she gave me six shots of one med and then two of another over an hour and I could still feel it. Not horribly, but enough. Maybe I should take that as a good thing though. Obviously my nerves in that toe work well lol.

But I had to keep myself from bawling in the office. I know it's just a toenail, but it's just one more thing I have lost to sjogrens. The tripping and pulling my nail away from the bed caused the ingrown nail. The fact that my immune system is too busy attacking me to fight anything else let the infection set in. The fact that I don't want to admit I'm sick let it get so bad.

I've lost the ability to let my body heal itself. I've lost the last week of my son's vacation and my husband's. We were supposed to go to Sesame Place this week and now we can't because I can't walk. I can't let his friend come over because I really can't clean the house. And my 8th anniversary is today and we can't even celebrate it because I have a huge bandage on my toe and the numbness is wearing off and it's all I can do to not cry from the pain. I feel freaking useless because it's my husband's vacation and he is having to run to the store for me, cook dinner AND do the dishes. Ordinarily that would be a dream come true, but I can't enjoy it.

Sheltiemom

Re: Yet another thing
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 03:54:34 PM »
Oh, dear -

So sorry that this has happened to you and on especially on a family vacation.  But you obviously did the right thing by going to the podiatrist and had it treated rather than waiting.

Did she offer any ideas as to why the local anesthetic completely do the job?

Keep us posted as to how this is healing.

Best wishes for a quick recovery,

Sheltiemom

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 04:09:35 PM »
Please do not think it strange for your body to move pain relief from one part to another.

I went in to have two ingrown toe nails remove. The injection was done and my back felt soo good I commented on it to my doctor. He thought I was lying to him.

After finishing one toe He looked up and said "you are in pain".

I replied, "But my back feels good".

Another injection, "oooh that feels good on my back".

He started working again and his nurse looked up, "Doctor, he is still feeling it".

He put a turnikit on my toe and two more injections. The toe got numb and he finished his work on the second toe. When the turnikit was removed, the pain relief rushed to my back.

My back pain was greater than the pain from my toes.

If your body is like mine, it will move any pain killer to where you need it most as quickly as it can. Just another thing that doctors do not know about pain!
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Madderakka

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 04:50:19 PM »
Sheltiemom, she said some people react differently. She had one patient that one medication would work on and not another. Now that I think about it, I may just be resistant to them because when I had a car accident a few years ago and they needed to clean a wound, they gave me a numbing cloth, but when he went in, I still needed more because I could feel almost everything and last year when I had two cavities filled, the same thing: it was numb on the surface, but deeper in, I still felt it.

Joe, that is so strange. I bet that doctor has told stories about that. How was the recovery for your toes?

eyeamdry

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 05:30:59 PM »
You guys are scaring me.  I will be having surgery on my big toe to scrape some bone spurs off and other work.  Although I need two knee replacements, so I should view the toe joe as a piece of cake.  Let us know how things work out.  Lucy

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 05:50:14 PM »
Lucy, Do no be afraid. Don't Panic. The surgery is minor and you have had more pain with dry eyes. Others I have talked to that had all their toes scraped and were healed within 6 weeks with out any pain killer. I was lead to believe that my case was unusual and extreme.

Madderakka, Healing progressed went normally for me at that time.

Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche

Joy Cox

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 06:15:58 PM »
Hey All, Why do you think they call them big toes?   Big problems, that's why! :(

Had all 10 of my toenails removed about 12 years ago... :'(

Soaked a couple times a day in warm water w/Epson Salts, put on new bandage each time...

Put on heavy socks and my sneakers that had mesh portion for ventilation and went on my way...

Nighttime soak, then allowed the toes to air dry while watching TV...

*************************************************************************************************************************
OMGoodness, no way can I now overcome pain like I did then. How can one when everything you 'own' hurts since receiving all the new Sjoggie gifts over the last dozen years?

Now days, I often wear on big toe/s, X-large, gel-type toe cover that has mineral oil and Vitamin E included in gel. Sure helps  ;D

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:03:11 PM by Joy Cox »

Madderakka

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 06:44:12 PM »
Don' be scared, Eyeamdry. I am being whiny. It's not searing pain and though it hurts a bit, compared to having my tonsils out, I will take this. I am more upset that all my plans for our vacation are on hold and I can't do what little cleaning I usually do. It's more an annoyance than a disaster. If you need a distraction, re-read my second post: longest run on sentence ever. I am embarrassed.  :-[

Joe, I am laughing now. I had completely forgotten that I had pulled a muscle in my back and you know what? It doesn't hurt. Maybe we should write a paper on this Sjogren's/pain relief thing.

Joy Cox

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 07:12:14 PM »
Madderakka, Please don't think I'm the Witch from the West. In fact, I live in the Southeastern part of US.

And, I too laugh (sorta) to think I'm forty years, make that forty-one years older than you.

Be careful and not stump your big toe along the road of life,  if at all possible!!!  

As someone said on the site not long ago, Turn On The Light! hehe!!

One nice thing about having no toenails, if I did have them, would have big trouble reaching them.  

OA is my issue with big toes these days...  Just consider me an oldie that doesn't miss her toenails!!!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:36:36 PM by Joy Cox »

skygirl

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 07:22:57 PM »
Talking about infection....

does infection set in quicker than in a "normal person",
because of the immuno suppressors meds Sjoegren people take?

43 years old / dry eye / dry mouth /not yet confirmed  for sjoegrens / morphea which is scleroderma localized to skin only/ gallblader out/ Carafate, Prilosec, Cholestramine / Bile reflux. Desonide for Dermatitis Seb. on face.

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 07:26:33 PM »
Madderakka, From my experiences I have some different views of Pain and its management than most. The research that I have done has provided me with a different view of "Auto Immune Diseases" that few wish to look at. Doctors get pissed when their diagnosis get reversed or they see changes that do not fit their models.

Madderakka

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 07:39:12 PM »
Skygirl, immuno-suppressing drugs can let infection set in quicker. I'm not on them, but the way sjogrens effects me is that my immune system is busy fighting my body and lets outside germs set in more quickly. Some people, the sjogrens ramps up their immune systems against themselves and outside germs so that they hardly ever get sick.

Joy, I don't think of you as a wicked witch. It's helpful to know what you did while you were healing. As much as I enjoyed wallowing and venting, I will have to pick myself up by my bootstraps (or sandal straps for now) and get on with it. I'm thankful that everyone listened when I vented. It's hard for my husband to understand and he's listened to me whine before about being sick. I really didn't want to explain to him how a toenail symbolizes my life going down the drain.

Joe, I agree. I usually find that when it comes to medical things, my body does not cooperate the way the doctors think it should.