Author Topic: Asthma & Taking Salagen???  (Read 2160 times)

Parched

Asthma & Taking Salagen???
« on: July 02, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
Hi and Thank You in advance for any responses..  I have just returned from the rheumy and he is starting me on salagen..

My question is what are the risks of taking this with having asthma?  Does anyone on here have asthma and take this?  I am a little concerned about starting this with the contradictions, even though I don't know what the contradictions are...   

I have just been diagnosed today and have lots of questions, but I am so overwhelmed at the moment and my family is out of town for the weekend.  Not sure what risks are involved in taking this and wondering if it is serious enough I should wait for my husband to be at home when I start taking this?

I am so glad this sight exists, I feel so lost and at least have some where to look for information that I feel I can trust.

Kim

Katybarstool

Re: Asthma & Taking Salagen???
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 12:50:01 PM »
Hi Kim

Welcome to the family. It's terrible when you get a diagnosis, and have no one around to talk with, isn't it? I have a theory that no-one should get a diagnosis or bad news from hospitals on a Friday.

Anyway, as you will see from previous posts, this family are very knowledgeable, and will help you in any way they can, so come here often.

In terms of the Salagen and asthma, my rheumie won't prescribe it for me. It took a long time to get my asthma under control, but controlled it has been, for a couple of years. I just have to get by with Biotene Gel, boiled sweets, and drinking lots.

If you type Salagen/Pilocarpin in the search box at the top of the page, you should find lots of posts about it.

Hugs
Kathyx

Waldop

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 01:52:21 PM »
Hi Kim...

Welcome to the board.

I take both, Pilocarpine and Singulair.  I don't know whether you have the same type of situation as I do.  My primary  had told me that the only reason I had asthma, is because of Sjogren's.  All I know is that I'd be lost without the meds.  Just the same, you should do your own research. Everyone is different as far as drug interaction.

Good luck.

Barrie

dbaratta

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 02:55:24 PM »
H Kim:  I have been taking pilocarpine for about 4 years and I have asthma.  Haven't had any problems but my asthma seems to be allergy driven and is somewhat under control at the moment.  I still don't get enough saliva but it truly helps and I always use Biotene!!!!!!!  mouthwash every time I brush.  Hope this helps.  It's awful to be new at this.  This is the best information network on the planet!  I get so much info everytime I need it.  Best of luck and keep us posted.  Diane
Primary Sjogren's, RA, Raynaud's, Hashimoto's

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 09:26:56 PM »
Kim, It sounds like you are considering waiting until your hubby comes home. I guess if it was me(feeling the way you do) I would just wait for him to start the med. You can always suck on lemon drops to kick up some saliva. Sip the fluids and suck on ice.

I have asthma and I didn't have any problems with the salogen. I only took 2 1/2 mn to start as I always react more to meds then other people. After several week of the lower dose I got up to the 5 mgm and that was fine for me. It helped me a lot. I had to quit taking it though as it interfered with the med I take for my myasthenia. Good luck. Irish

lynnmarie219

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 10:50:16 AM »
Hi Kim,

I have asthma too.....not very bad but I also take salagen and have for years....for me there is no problem.

Did your doc know you have asthma when he/she prescribed it to you? If not....it would be good to give a call back and ask his/her opinion.

Good luck to you!

Parched

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 11:49:58 AM »
Did your doc know you have asthma when he/she prescribed it to you? If not....it would be good to give a call back and ask his/her opinion.

Thanks for the response--yes he knows I have asthma.  But I am not sure if he knows about the rapid heart rate and the blood pressure issues I am having. My primary shares a practice with him and he can read my medical file.  I guess there computers are linked. But I read the possible side effects and I guess I panicked.   I decided to wait until they are back in the office tomorrow and check to see if I can start this medicine or not.  I know they are talking about doing and echocardiogram and a holter monitor. 

This stinks having a prescription sitting here that might help me produce some saliva and afraid to take it....  Actually this disease stinks.

Thanks for listening... So glad this website is here.