Author Topic: Pillow Case Staining  (Read 33061 times)

lighthouse33

Pillow Case Staining
« on: June 19, 2010, 01:25:14 PM »
Weird Question Time

I was just wondering if anyone else stains their pillow case.  Don't know how to describe the color maybe a light yellow or tan color.  Mom says she can't get the stains out and keeps asking me if something is coming off of my head.  I think it is just drooling but you'd think with the dry mouth and all it wouldn't be that.  A Sjogren's Mystery!  Could it possibly be a medication I'm taking?
Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

SueAnn

Re: Pillow Case Staining
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 05:30:33 PM »
This happens to me as well, but for me I think it is because I sweat at night around my neck.  I might be drooling as well ::) who knows.   

Sue Ann
Sjs
LDN, Plaquenil, Evoxac, Prednisone, Restasis..
Vit B complex, calcium, Vit D
Female - 50ish

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 05:35:29 PM »
Dear Lighthouse:

My pillowcases are a darkish color, and I have lightish stains all the time.   But they come out in the wash.  I think it is probably from ...........

You know, I don't know what it's from.  When I wake up my eyes and mouth are both dry, so how can it be drooling or from my eyes?  But it looks like salty fluid stains from my eyes or mouth.

No other source possible.

I do know that I take more Pilocarpine in the  morning than at night, and if I take a nap, I drool terribly!  So I suppose I could be drooling at night, and not know it?

MMMMMM

If you find out, please let us know what's going on with you.

Kisses

Carolina
Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) C-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om. 3-Naltrexone-Esomep.

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 05:50:37 PM »
I have stains, too, but I assumed it's from coloring my hair.   I'll follow this thread in case one of you solves the mystery.
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

DragonflyC

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 06:23:59 PM »
My body bleaches fabric--mostly towels and sheets.  I don't use any acne or face creams that would explain it, and I don't use bleach when I do laundry.  It sometimes happens with my clothes, but less often. 

I don't know if it's the meds or the disease, but something is off in my pH.  I keep meaning to have one of the science teachers at school check me out with one of those pH testing strips, but I never think of it at the right time (plus I don't sweat much during the day).  I also usually have more pressing things to discuss at the doctor's, so I never get around to bringing it up.

When I got married two years ago, I told my husband we needed to register for only light colored linens.  He laughed at me, but now our nice dark green towels and beautiful dove gray sheets are streaked with what are clearly bleach stains.  Before then, we'd only used the white linens I'd had before we got together, so he hadn't understood.

It's bad on my pillow cases, but I think it's sweat and not drool.  I have terrible temperature control at night and often get pretty sweaty. 

Cricket

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 07:25:56 PM »
This is sweat!!  My husband has this on his pillowcases.

Cricket
Female 64 yrs. old with:~Lymphoma ~SJS~, Fibro, Neuropathy, Spinal  Stenosis, Degenerative Discs, Shingles Arthritis, Hypo-thyroid.
Rituxan, Synthroid, Lopressor, Vasotec, Zantac, Zyrtec, evoxac, Lexapro, Neurotin, Ambien, Zanaflex, Voltarm, Vicodin, fish oil, Centrum vit.,  CoQ10, vit. D, Miralax

sleeeepy

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 07:54:01 PM »
My guess is sweat because you know how sweat and deodorant can stain armpit area of shirts? That would make sense I think ???  Also, do you put lotion on your face at night? 

I know that sweat has a high PH and could stain something easily..so if your face and or neck are sweating this could be the answer.  Sometimes certain medicines mess with a persons PH levels to make them higher causing a POTENT sweat.

Just an idea :)

Take care...Mary

Patze

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 05:48:08 AM »
Not me but I once had a relative that had this type of thing start in her early teens and disappeared in her late 50's.  It was so bad that she wouldn't buy anything but white sheets and clothing (thankfully she lived in a very warm climate).  Her body was so acidic that she could not wear any jewelry next to her skin during that time either.  It was odd and thankfully no one else in the family seemed to have this problem either (I figure it had to do with hormones, but no doctor could ever figure it out).

Good luck getting an answer Lighthouse.

Take care -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

lighthouse33

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 06:23:04 AM »
Thank you for the replies.  No face cream at night.  I do take half of an anti anxiety pill at bedtime.  It says you can sweat from that.  So, I suspect that you are all right about the sweating.  What do you use to take off the stains?  I assume that my mom has tried bleach and it hasn't worked.  These are white pillow cases.

Also, another mystery.  I turn my white wash clothes a bright red color.  My dad does this also.  Any speculation as to why this is happeing?
Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 06:28:50 AM »
Dear Sjogies:

OMG!  Who knew people were turning everything different colors!???

This forum is amazing.

Keep me posted!

Kisses

Carolina
Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) C-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om. 3-Naltrexone-Esomep.

Joy Cox

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 07:08:59 AM »
Yes, I stain my pillowcase. Feel like it is from sweat. Routinely, my head itches me when I first go to bed and then when it settles down, sweat will break out around my neck area. >:(

DragonflyC

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 07:11:54 AM »
No idea about the red.

My strategy has been to pick colors where it won't show.  For me, that's white, because my sweat is bleaching--not coloring--the fabric.  For you, it might be red. 

sleeeepy

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 08:53:07 AM »
Lighthouse, I actually looked up how to get sweat stains out of pillowcases...LOL and I found many others besides yourself that have that issue too.  They mentioned that adding vinegar or Oxiclean while washing sheets and pillowcases will help get the stains out..so maybe try that and see if that helps get the stains out. I am interested to find out if it works like they say...so let us know ;)  Take care....Mary

P.S) One person mentioned using an Alkaline detergent bath soap....they said like Zest...so I don't know if you want to try that on your face or not?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 10:35:08 AM by sleeeepy »

shaz

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 10:11:41 AM »
i bleach my sheets too, and yellow stains on the mattress and pillow.  they wash out of the pillow.  i also know that a side-effect of plaquenil is it can bleach your hair.

last year i had a very embarresing moment.  i bough a new pink top and wore it out on a hot day.  when i got home i discovered i had bleeched out the armpits!!!!!   morto!!!