Author Topic: Dry bloody peeling lips  (Read 10279 times)

SLEEPY101

Dry bloody peeling lips
« on: June 17, 2010, 09:42:20 PM »
Anyone have problems with bloody,blistered lips? It embarassing I look like a vampire and lipgloss does not cover. Nobody ever asks but I catch them staring,plus they hurt!! Any over the counter suggestions? Carmex,blistex dont work

gphx

Re: Dry bloody peeling lips
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 10:01:54 PM »
I was having some problems with this then started using the Biotene products that help keep the mouth wet. The additional moisture that ends up on my lips, especially when I'm sleeping, has mostly fixed what balms couldn't. Balms are supposed to work by holding in existing moisture. If there isn't any they can't work. For me addressing the lack of moisture fixed things up but not everyone is the same. It's nice not to wake up to caked, cracked lips again.
Dxed unspecific 'sicca syndrome' eyes and mouth. Neuro issues, muscle weakness. SS Seronegative but high inflammatory markers. Diabetes dx 2010. Glucose control improved neuromuscular issues. Enlarged thyroid under observation 2013. Yippee.

LeoLady

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 03:05:10 AM »
You might try 100% vaseline.  Mentholatum might work to heal them as well.  I'm sure there are many more suggestions out there.  I hope you find something that works for you.

LeoLady

deeindiana

• Deb Perry Studio: photography & graphic arts
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 06:53:49 AM »
A dermatologist recently told me to stop using vasoline (a petroleum-based product that should not be ingested) and use solid Crisco. That's right - the white stuff in the can that our mother's used to make pies. She said to rub it anywhere on my body that is dry. It moisturizes, protects, is water-soluble, cheap and non toxic. I was very skeptical but it's working! I divided the big can into smaller containers that I keep in the bathroom and in my bedstand. I even filled an empty lipgloss container with Crisco to take in my purse. You might give it a try!
Diagnosed June 2010.
Rheumy at University of Michigan Med Center. Age 62
Difficulty swallowing, fibromyalgia, burning mouth, GERD, anxiety, dry, dry, dry!
Medications: Atenolol, Dexilant, Plaquenil
I am my own worst enemy...

DragonflyC

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 07:51:07 AM »
You might want to check out this thread: Problems with Aquaphor on Lips http://sjogrensworld.org/forums/index.php?topic=12168.0

It's another discussion of the different issues people with dry lips have had and solutions that have worked for different people.

Suzy

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 11:53:44 AM »
I was actually going to suggest Aquaphor. Go figure. :-\

PrincessLeah

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 03:26:36 PM »
This may sound like a weird question -- but which part of your lips are dry?  Is it the seam where they meet, or the edge, or the whole thing?

When my dry mouth was (sort of) resolved, the dry skin on the seam where my lips meet was gone.  I was also using a beeswax/vitamin E chapstick which worked GREAT for me.  Aquaphor hurt like heck -- my lips were oozing, and all it did was trap the ooze and make it crust up, and I got the fun of picking it off my lips, which made them bleed and ooze even more.

The skin around my mouth and nose started drying out like CRAZY, and I noticed that when that happened, the skin more around the edges of my lips got really dry.  I think this is due to the dry skin on my face and NOT my dry mouth.  The corners get really bad too, and that didn't happen until my facial skin dried out.  I've been trying to slather tons of hand lotion around the edges of my lips, and it seems to be helping.  Of course, I have to do it every 5 minutes or so.  *sigh*

PL

Billydude

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 04:08:22 PM »
Also double check the negative reactions to your drugs.   I was actually being prescribed drugs where the negative reaction is dry mouth.   Can you believe it!!!!

Patze

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 06:34:58 PM »
I sure do believe it Billydude, I sure do!

That was also one of the problems with my lips Sleepy, using petroleum based products (having chronically low vitamin levels sure didn't help things either).  I quit using the old products and only use non petroleum based lip balms (a bit more expensive, but there are also ones like vitamin E that are fairly cheap).

Take care of yourselves -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

SLEEPY101

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 08:41:03 PM »
That's for everyones suggestions. My lips are very dry in the middle, I get usually have two large sores, one on each side. I think my med(celebrex) makes them worse because it causes bleeding. So when my lips peel,it causes them to bleed a lot, then they turn into black/red sores. Because of the Celebrex it takes a long time for them to heal.

eyeamdry

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 09:59:15 PM »
I find lip stuff much like eye drops.  One time I bought about 8 different kinds of lip baum etc and put one in each purse, by the bed, coat pocket and lying around the house.  You know, I cannot recall if one turned out to be better than the others.  I wouldn't doubt Crisco would work!  I am always sure Vaseline will work even though some may not be able to use it.  When I get up at night to "p" I use eyedrops, lather my lips with whatever and take a drink of water.

I think also, that we find certain drops may work better for us than others and that asking others only gets us "how it works on them."   Thankfully, we have a lot to choose from.  There is many more different drops to pick from than when I started out on this venture 10 years ago.  Lucy

LawGirl

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 06:48:25 PM »
I too have suffered with dry, splitting and bleeding lips. The split on my bottom lip was like the Grand Canyon. It seemed as though I would get it to be almost healed then it would reopen again. I went so far as to use New Skin, which burns like alcohol in a wound, and that didn't work. Mastasol, a liquid oral bandaid, worked OK but I had to get it from my ENT (They use this in minor surgeries).  :-XI have also tried many of these suggestions but have found a product called Dr. Dan's Cortibalm which has Hydrocortisone 1% in it. I use it several times a day and then apply Burt's Bee's Replenishing Lip Balm with pomegranate oil on top.  I feel like this has been a miracle cure for my lips.

I would also suggest taking a sublingual Vitamin B12 once a day since this may be chelitis which is caused from a vitamin b12 deficiency. You do not want to take a tablet since vitamin b12 isn't absorbed very well from the stomach. It does come in a nasal gel which works well. Chelitis causes the corners of your mouth to split, peel and bleed.

I hope that this helps,

Val

familytradition

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 02:07:59 AM »
You might try Aquaphor Healing Ointment.  I got it to help treat Rosecea on my face, but noticed that it works great for my lips.  It is a lot like vasaline, but has no smell or taste.  It stays on pretty long and seems like it has a chance to get into your skin that way.  I like it better than Carmex.

missy1306

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 06:01:23 AM »
I LOVE this website! I have been having a TERRIBLE time with chapped lips. So I got on here and searched for "chapped lips" and found this thread. It just so happened my doctor prescribed EpiCeram skin barrier for my eyes because they run and the skin around them gets sore. It has been sitting in a drawer. I got it out a couple days ago after reading this thread. My lips are now back to normal!!!

Meld256

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 09:49:02 AM »
That's great, Missy! :) 

Yes, it seems we discuss almost everything at one time or another.  If not, feel free to bring it up in your own new post.  You'll get advice, and lots of answers.
Glad your lips are feeling so much better!
Melinda