Author Topic: Physical Therapist Confirmed PN Diagnosis, gave me exercises to help!  (Read 2473 times)

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Great news, Sjogies:

As you know I've been up and down with this PN business.  One doctor says yes I have it, another says no it can't be, and third says absolutely NOT, and of course I KNOW I have it!   I mean my legs are numb, tingly and burning, and I wobble when I walk, jeez.

Anyway I'm doing PT for my recent knee surgery (torn meniscus).  And this fabulous guy, who owns the place (four actually) and is managing my knee PT, evaluated me yesterday for PN.

He said immediately that I do have it.  It's quite obvious.  And my muscles in my legs and hips have become weakened because of the poor nerve messages to my muscles.

I must do a series of exercises to make my muscles stronger.  and I must work at walking correctly, to pick up my foot in the proper way, to learn to walk so I don't stumble and fall.

He also validated the diagnostic abilities of the neurologist who made the original diagnosis and explained the limitations of the orthopedist who mistakenly turned me away from PT earlier this year!

I can't go into the details of what he said, of course.  But he knows both what he sees and tested in me, and the local medical community very well.

I am so relieved to have someone not only verify the diagnosis, but give me concrete things to do about my PN.

I have five more therapy sessions and he is combining therapy for my knee post surgery AND the PN exercises.   

I am SOOO glad to have something positive to do.   Once I know what to do, I will do it faithfully.

Carolina

Just hang in there, and ask for a PT referral!   If it is appropriate and if you can afford it (sigh). 

C.
Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) C-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om. 3-Naltrexone-Esomep.

Joy Cox

Carolina, Wish I could 'slip' and go with you to PT, you know, fly on the wall. Love to know what exercises to do to help curtail PN pain.

My not going to water aerobics since Jan. and not attending Arthritis Keep Moving class due to lung involvement 'junk' to my surprise has if anything relieved some of the PN constant pain. Credit also goes to Cymbalta.

Just wish I could sleep as well as I did when I went to exercise 3 days a week.

ROUTINE is what I'm suspecting, as beginning to become a 'home bunny' instead of an 'energizer bunny!'

Most days I can find that ONE thing which encourages me to seek a tomorrow!    J  :-* Y

Carolina

Oh dear Joy!

The exercises aren't to curtail PN pain.   Just to strengthen the muscles that tend to get weak because of getting such poor stimulation from the nerves. 

I do have nerve stimulation, however, so I have to consciously use these muscles and get back some strength.

Also I am walking all wrong, due to numbness in my feet and weakness in my ankles.  I pick up my foot and put it down all wrong, flat.

I must learn to roll my foot up from the heel to the toe lifting the toe last.

In other words I do exercise to build strength and then THINK about walking when I walk.

Of course I don't like to walk very far now, I get tired from both weakness and from working so hard to walk straight and not fall down.

I hope to start doing a bit more recreational walking, to try to get stronger.

I used to love to walk and ride my bike.

Oh well, I will work on walking, I rather think the bike is history.

So for my feet:  stand and raise my heels with the feet straight, then toes pointing in and pointing out.

For my legs, stand on one leg and raise the other behind me and hold for a count of ten.  Do each leg 15 times.

For my hips:  Lie on my back and do leg lifts with my foot flexed upward.

Also face a wall and squat a bit, then move to the left, one foot at a time, along the wall, with wide side ways steps.

Reverse the other direction.

Because I am going deaf, I have absolutely no balance if I cannot see.  that's why I start to fall in the shower when I wash my hair.  Who knew?

I wish this would help the pain,Joy, but the pain is nerve pain.

Oh, also sit, place one foot on top of the other then flex the bottom foot up, resisting with the top foot.

Switch to the other foot.

Do all of these in reps of 10 or so a couple of times

If anyone knows other exercises it would be great to hear them.  These were just off the top of the PT's head, but he is very very very knowledgeable.

GoodLuck

Kisses,

Carolina

Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) C-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om. 3-Naltrexone-Esomep.

Joy Cox

Carolina, Thanks for the info about exercise. Most of these we are doing in our Arthritis Keep Moving Class. When I left exercise class in Dec. and have been back only 4-5 times since, I certainly could tell my mucles had tightened up. Especially the exercise where you lift you lower leg up to touch you buttocks. Took me 18 months to accomplish getting my L knee up and now have lost it in 5 months.

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
Obvious question - PN is Peripheral Neuropathy?

Very interested because I'm having lots of weakness in the hips that didn't used to be there.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

Carolina

Yes, PN is Peripheral Neuropathy .   So many shortcuts, so many long words!   Wish I didn't know ANY of them!

And, so interesting, that the pain I have in my hips when I walk and exercise is due to weak muscles.  I didn't know, I thought it was arthritis pain.   

But the Physical Therapist was quite clear that the PN contributes, mostly by just keeping me from using the muscles correctly and often enough.

I MUST start walking a bit for exercise.  I have resisted going for walks for well over a year now because it was such hard unpleasant work, and so exhausting.  But now I realize it's all part of the "Use it, or Lose it" syndrome.

My left knee problem, which started in September last year, and then became a crisis in February, and which has been fixed with surgery now, was my excuse.  And a good excuse at that.

But NOW I must must, must walk.   Maybe I'll try the treadmill a bit at the Y!   That would be a good start I do believe.  And make me feel a bit more secure, and avoid extreme heat and cold, as well, since it is inside.

Yep, that's what I'll do, a bit of treadmill work, as well as the machines and my water aerobics.

I may have to just move into the Y!   Thank god I'm retired.  I cannot imagine trying to manage this disease while working full time and being responsible for a family full-time.

My respect and sympathy to those of you who have to manage this disease in the midst of major responsibilities.

Carolina

Joy Cox

Glad to see more info Carolina about PN and your knees. Think my knees are partially due to OA and rest to extra weight.
Have just passed the third yr. of belonging to Wellness Ctr. Gained 40 lbs. the 2 yrs. on oxygen and wanted to get it off. Walked at area park and here at home and Wlns.Ct. on treadmill.

It was not long before my knees began to hurt. Orthopedic docs -more than one- said I needed to stay off the treadmills and go to water and walk, if possible. And, next bet would be elliptical trainer. Never used the trainer machine.

I had used the Nu-Step for a number of years. You sit and petal your feet and row your arms .Used it 3-4 times a week during oxygen rehab.

Worked so hard to get off oxygen day and night.

Have you done strength building exercises on machines at the facility you went to in past?  Also did this for about a year and really began to feel the strength in the muscles and their ability to stabilize me when doing general daily walking and the upper spine/ shoulders felt less pain.

Also entered water aerobics and was able to get into cooler lap pool and do Hydro Fit class though in few months what I thought was plantar fasciaitis in feet and lower legs later after EMG test at D., the diagnosis indicated PN w/fibro overlap.

Sincerely agree with you, we use it or loose it... Though I'm going to go easier at it this go round. 

This coming Tuesday is  a good day to start again in Keep Moving Arthritis Class to try to regain some flexibility and strength along with gaining a positive attitude and to be part of the 'outside world' once again.

It's been a long hard winter with the lung involvement from late Dec. through March of this year.
Thanks to all, and to you Carolina, for your willingness to take time to share info.

Carolina

Dear all:

Tried the treadmill today at the Y today, and really enjoyed it!   just did 11 minutes, and got my heart rate up to the Conditioning level!  WOW.  So I"m on my way to getting back some strength in my legs.  The Y has new way cool treadmills, they even have a built in fan to cool you if you need it!

I also did the exercises the PT guy gave me again at the Y.    AND some of the upper body stuff.   My husband works out very quickly and doesn't like to hang around.
But when I go on my own, I'll spend more time with the machines, the treadmill and my own routine from PT.

I also LOVE the water  I spent about  6 months in an aerobics class and learned the routine.   I'm not sure what it does for me, some flexibility, and some aerobics, but mostly I think I just feel so much better when I've been in the water.  I feel like a normal person with balance and freedom in the water.   And I've always loved being in the water.  I used to swim a mile, but that's not for me now, the aerobics routine is much more fun and interesting.

I need to lose at LEAST 40 pounds, well 30 anyway.   I've lost some weight, probably about 30 pounds since my very highest.   And of course that is helping me.

But the biggest plus is just to get moving and to know what to do.  And to have some faith that I can get better and that I have a chance to improve and feel better.

That helps so much!

Carolina

YYC_ Mommy

Thanks for sharing! I am glad to hear that your exercises are helping you!