Author Topic: Doctors research "common mechanisms" in AI conditions  (Read 1268 times)

DragonflyC

Doctors research "common mechanisms" in AI conditions
« on: April 26, 2010, 09:12:20 AM »
Many of us have wondered why researchers of various AI conditions haven't joined forces--aren't all AI diseases linked to misfiring immune systems?  Well, I just found this article about Yale's brand new Autoimmunity Center of Excellence:

"Yale scientists see [ACE] as a catalyst for a new burst of collaborative work on the dysfunctions of the immune system that underlie diverse diseases such as diabetes, lupus, and multiple sclerosis . . . Because these diseases affect a wide range of organ systems, about 70 Yale Medical Group physicians in diverse specialties treat some form of autoimmune disease. However, the underlying mechanisms in apparently quite different diseases, such as diabetes and multiple sclerosis (MS), are remarkably similar . . . [the doctors hope to] pave the way for a greater understanding of common mechanisms of and potential treatments for autoimmune diseases."  

http://www.medicineatyale.org/v6i1_jan_feb_2010/autoimmunity.html

I feel like a cynic because my first thought was "duh," but at least they're finally working on it!