Author Topic: Cymbalta for the pain of Neuropathy?  (Read 4432 times)

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Cymbalta for the pain of Neuropathy?
« on: April 06, 2010, 11:44:33 AM »
My son who is a shrink, suggested Cymbalta for my pain.  Has anyone else tried it?

I started on a low dosage and didn't notice anything.  But last week increased from 20mg to 40mg and things seem much better.  Of course, with our various conditions it's always difficult to tell what is feeling better or worse and why.  SIGH

This is from the Cymbalta web site, but it is generally found where ever Cymbalta is evaluated.

"Cymbalta is indicated for the treatment of major depressive disorder (MDD). The efficacy of Cymbalta was established in four short-term and one maintenance trial in adults.

Cymbalta is indicated for the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). The efficacy of Cymbalta was established in three short-term and one maintenance trial in adults.

Cymbalta is indicated for the management of diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain and fibromyalgia."

Since all of our autoimmune conditions carry a risk of pain and depression of 50-75%, I may not be the only one looking for this kind of relief.  But I'm leery of recommending anything...just looking for information at this point. 

Carolina
Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Esomeprazol

Jules48cats

Re: Cymbalta for the pain of Neuropathy?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 01:33:30 PM »
I took Cymbalta and it did help a bit for my Neuropathy,  but I could not stand the feeling that something was crawling on my scalp and sometimes on other body parts and it made my mouth Even drier than it was. Within 3 weeks I gained almost 30 Pounds.  So I gave up on Cymbalta.  Hope you have better results. 
Jules

Carolina

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 01:49:57 PM »
EEEEK.   OK, watching for the weight gain.  Sigh.   

The other things didn't show up in the first month at the lower dosage. 

We all react so differently to meds, I hope some day they use genetic info to determine what is right and not right before we even have to go through trial and error.

Thanks for the reply, Jules. 
Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Esomeprazol

Joy Cox

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 02:11:38 PM »
Hi Carolina, I have been taking Cymbalta since last July after NC, Duke Neuro diagnosed PN with primary Fibro after nerve conduction tests were done there. Started on 20 mg. and increased to 30 mg. in Oct. during return appointment. Med at first made me sweat profusely which I have not done to any degree in my life. Viewed sweating as a way of getting rid of some toxins in my body... ;D Sweating is mentioned as side effect.

Now been nine months on C and it has helped with the incapacitating PN pain in my lower legs, ankles, feet and toes. Large toes were first place PN started and continue having shooting pains occasionally. Palm of both hands feel as if burned and fingers 'fiery' red and turn purple and cold on occasion...while sweating.  Comes and goes, though, and I can tolerate it with the relief I have gotten in lower portion of legs and feet. I already am 25 lbs. heavier than I should be though have not gained any weight in the 9 months of taking Cymbalta.

Joyce (jstroble) from that area of NC posted earlier about Rheumy,  Dr. Wm. St. Clair at Duke. John Hopkins transferred me to his Sjogren's Clinic in 1995 after JH Optomologist diagnosed me with SS and severe corneal abrasions and craters. I live 600 miles round trip from Duke though made 13 trips that way last year.  Dr. St.Clair has been my 'life line' to Duke the past 15 years and he and his staff are KEEPERS!

Neuro and Dr. St.Clair conferred about this last health issue of PN and decided to try Cymbalta. Another Sjoggie gift...PN.

What type of symptoms do you have that your doc son suggested Cymbalta? Be nice to hear from you about this issue as by looking at your bottom post and mine, we have several other things in common other than age! :P  Joy in TN.

P.S. Medical field has blamed here at home and also at Duke for years things on Fibro, if a good sound reason for a diagosis could not be discovered.hehe!!!    :o
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 02:23:21 PM by Joy Cox »

Carolina

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 03:00:08 PM »
Wow, Joy

We will be living in Cary, NC, and will be about 35 miles from Duke.  Dr. St. Clair is already at the top of my list.  The MDs here are beyond terrible.  Except, thank God, for the orthopedist who is doing my knee surgery before we move.

We MUST get to know each other, that is for sure!   

My symptoms that got my son thinking Cymbalta:   arthritis pain, especially if any additional inflammation occurs (such as an infection), diagnosis of PN, followed by a very strong indication on my Nerve Conduction Velocity test, of severe nerve damage.     Interstitial Cystitis, which an autoimmune condition of my bladder, inflammation, that entails high levels of pain.  You know, Sjogren's patients have a 50-70% change of pain and depression?  And so do people with IC.

Throw all that together, and pain is a constant in my life.   I use water exercise, exercise with variable resistance weight machines and Aleve for the pain.  I was using Tramadol but it doesn't really help, and I'm not sure the Aleve does either any more.

I'm allergic to ALL the major RX pain meds:  Codeine, Hydrocodone, Darvocet and Talwin.  So I have nothing for severe pain that exceeds the usual.  And that is very scary for me.

The Cymbalta seems to have NO side effect so far, and I'm at 40 mg and it it working very well for the general pain.  I'm sleeping for the first time in months and months.   Prozac worked for me that way for ever, but I decided to go off it after reading about so many side effects, including bizarre EEGs.  And I think some meds just stop being as effective after a while,, but I don't know for sure

According to my neurologist (who isn't very good at all) I also have a total shoot storm of epileptic seizures going on in my brain all the time.  He showed me the raw data, and it does look weird,  but what do I know.   He put me on 1500 mg of Depakote, an anti seizure medication that just about killed me, with nausea, diarrhea, exhaustion and my hair falling out.  I stopped taking it, needless to say.   A new doctor is going to have run all these neurological tests over that this guy had done in his office.   

I am going to try to see Dr. St. Clair.  Wonder who can refer me, anyone from here?  I doubt it.   

Well thanks for your attention and suggestions.  I am pleased that really good people recommended Cymbalta.  My son is fantastic of course, but my shrink knew nothing about it and is just prescribing and increasing the dosage at my request.  Which is at least a good thing!

Carolina

salsen

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 07:52:06 PM »
I was on Cymbalta for about three months and had side effects that were not tolerable.  I never could get past the lowest dosage because I stayed sick and throwing up the whole time.  Along with this I had sweating, a very blah feeling and headaches.  Finally the neuro decided my body was not going to adjust to the medication and weaned me off of it.  I have had severe PN for about 12 years and still struggle to find something that will work in reducing the pain.

Carolina

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 08:31:50 AM »
Hi, Salsen:

Sorry to hear about your pain, and experiences with Cymbalta.   It sometimes amazes  me how differently we all react to medications.

One day they may use DNA testing to determine which RXs will work for which people, and at what dosage.  Trial and error is a pain when the error part appears.

My biggest issue is becoming allergic to the things that are working for me.  I'm up to 8 or 9 drug allergies by now. 

But PAIN is soooo wearing and exhausting.   For some weird reason I have hoped that taking prednisone (which I haven't done yet) will be a miracle answer to everything. 

I have a friend with an usual auto immune condition called GCA (Giant Cell Arteritis) and she has had a miracle recovery taking prednisone.  With very few side effects.

So far I haven't had anything prescribed specifically for the PN.  In fact, I haven't had a really good diagnosis yet, and am looking forward to our move to the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area and finding a good rheumatologist and possibly a good neurologist too.

Good luck Salsen!

Carolina 

infinitedreamer

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 06:20:48 PM »
I tried Cymbalta once and will never do it again! It kept me up for 48 hours and I had the jitters the entire time. It was the most uncomfortable I've ever been on a medication. It was like being on a pot of coffee for that entire 2 days and that was from ONE 30 mg pill!

Carolina

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 06:48:16 PM »
Yeah, Cymbalta can induce mania for sure.   It's always interesting to see how differently we react to different drugs.

I had a terrible reaction to my second dose of Talwin, in February.    Just off the charts itching, swelling lips, puffy eyes and bronchial wheezing.  Then tons of Benedryl to try to counteract the allergic response and a lost day the next day sleeping it all off. 

I have become allergic to 7 drugs in the past 10 years, escalating rapidly in the past two.   We just have to be very very careful before we jump into anything.

Our autoimmune systems are on overdrive and our sensitivity to drugs is amazing.

But for  me, so far, Cymbalta is magical, and it is on label for chronic fatigue even.  Tho' of course an unwanted side effect can BE FATIGUE.  Go figure.

I feel better than I have in months, even over a year I think, maybe even longer.

Here is where we get ideas, and find out what has happened to others. 

Like everything, we take what we need and leave the rest.

Carolina

Joy Cox

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 07:05:33 PM »
Sorry I'm late coming back to this thread. Carolina and I must has ESP as when got ready to post the warning came up someone had posted recently.

Yes, Salsen and Infinitedreamer, I have empathy for you that this med did not work for you as I had to say no years ago to Plaquenil due to my eye involvement.

Keep reading the posts and trust someone mentions something that will be helpful to you.

Lesleybird

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 12:49:05 AM »
  Hi, Lyrica and tramadol both work on my nerve pain but when Cymbalta was added it did nothing for my pain. I have very bad nerve, joint and muscle pain on a daily basis. If I do not take the Lyrica I cannot walk because I am in so much pain.      Lesley