Author Topic: A pretty good way to help others understand your fatigue  (Read 4256 times)

littlelou

A pretty good way to help others understand your fatigue
« on: April 15, 2010, 04:54:47 AM »
Hi there. I feel like no one (outside of here) really gets the fatigue that comes along with this. It makes life so hard. And getting understanding and patience from others is even harder! Friends, family, coworkers, (and even strangers), expect me to be able to go, go, go and it's unfathomable to them that I'm so much more than "tired" and that, no, I can't "push through it" and that sometimes I just can't get through a day.

I came across this the other day and thought I'd post on the chance that it would help one of you gain some more understanding from a loved one or friend. It's not my site or my theory, but I thought it was kind of a cool (tangible) way to help someone "get it" just a little bit more.

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/personal-essays/the-spoon-theory-written-by-christine-miserandino/

lori

Re: A pretty good way to help others understand your fatigue
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 05:18:32 AM »
thats really good- thanks for sharing

lori

Daisy1234

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 07:24:43 AM »
I never heard of this approach to explain fatigue with autoimmune illnesses before, but it is really a very good one.  thanks for the post and the link.

navydad

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
I quit trying to explain anything aboiut this illness,, I was so tired last night,, I jsut fell into bed,, rolled on my side and it felt like my body was not going to move again,, it actually felt numb,, like it wasent going to work again,, laid tehre for a hour thinking abiout the day,, and could not think what I did all day,,, I guess its just like groundhog day the movie

jessica1104

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 05:17:37 PM »
THAT WAS AMAZING, THANKS FOR SHARING!!!!!!

JannaLee

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 07:36:25 PM »
This is wonderful, thank you!

Janna

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 09:41:50 PM »
I understand, and yes also the groundhog thing.

susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

navydad

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
Speaking of brain fog,, or brain dead,, I was sittingin the living room this moring,, and noticed a new outlet in teh kitchen,, and at first I thought my oldest had put a new one in,, I had remarked it was cracked,, but then I remembered I changed it yesterday,, I swear I;m losing mymind

bloodless

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 12:43:03 PM »
Nice story in that article, but I don't think I'd have the patience to go through all that to get someone to understand.

Navydad, don't feel bad about your memory. I forgot how to get home once when I was two blocks away and I'd lived there 35 years. I pulled over and waited a couple of minutes 'til it came to me.
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD