Author Topic: Who has Hashimoto's with positive ANA and negative SSA, SSB?  (Read 6497 times)

Babs659

I'm trying to find out if a very high ANA that is present with negative RF and negative SSA, SSB would occur just from Hashimoto's.  I've heard that Hashimoto's would account for a lower titre.  Mine was 1:1280.  I can't get a straight answer from doctors.

SLEEPY101

Re: Who has Hashimoto's with positive ANA and negative SSA, SSB?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 10:52:23 AM »
I have Hashimoto's also.  I have a high ANA not sure the level. I do have a postive SS-A. Sometimes my throid is low but other times it is normal.  Becaumy se I have a lot of pain and swollen gland in the Thyroid area, I had an Utrasound.  My doctor said that I had serval masses in my thyroid one that was big enough and had to be biopsied.  I went to the Endrocrinologist and he did enough ultrasound and saw that it was not masses on my thryroid.  It was scarring and damage typical of Hashimotos.  This is how I was diagnosed maybe you shouuld go to an Endo and get a ultrsound that should be able to help doctors know what they are dealing with.

DragonflyC

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 04:47:30 PM »
Like Sleepy101, I have Hashi's, a positive ANA (1:640 the last few times it was tested), and positive SS-A antibodies.  RF is negative. 

When I first got Hashi's in 2004, my ANA was 1:40.  I had SS-A antibodies then, too, but I was not diagnosed with Sjogren's until 2008.

Patze

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 05:59:06 PM »
Hi Babs,

I'm a bit of an odd one on this, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's by a biopsy and not blood work, so my ANA is negative (as usual :D).

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Nancy60

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 06:08:56 PM »
Hashimotos was what I was first diagnosed with and my ANA was 1:1280.  My Rheumy said he thought it was due to the Hashimotos, my endocrinologist said it would not be that high.  I was dx with sjogrens about a year later.  2 years later I was SSA + (high positive).

Nancy

Babs659

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 07:13:58 AM »
Thanks, Nancy.  Sounds like me.  Maybe the SSA will show up one day.  By the way I just had everything re-tested and even the ANA was negative this time.  Go figure ;D

tomsmom

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 10:21:10 AM »
After a round steroids my ANA showed up negative. But I still felt horrible.  I was told that steroid use can make the ANA (which can go back and forth between neg and pos despite symptoms) appear negative.  I think that if you get rechecked after some time off the steroid you'll see a positive again (not that you'd want to).  Take Care!

Nancy60

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 08:03:14 PM »
My ANA and Lupus anticoagulant are always "significantly" positive - all tested many times since first suspected in 2003.  SSA, thyroid antibodies, Sed Rate go up and down.  TSH is around 2 with synthroid.  Everything else has been "negative". 

amberjolie1

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 06:41:21 PM »
I have Hashimoto's but as far as I know, only my ANA was positive (and the anti-thyroid antibodies), not the SS-A or SS-B (but I'm not 100% sure they were tested).  It was 1:640 at it's "highest".  But I was diagnosed with Sjogren's from a lip biopsy (an expert at one of the hospitals here said it was 100% consistent with Sjogren's). 

Babs659

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 03:47:11 PM »
This poll has been interesting.  Thanks :)