Author Topic: oesophagus should not be affected by sjogren  (Read 3062 times)

bluegardenia

oesophagus should not be affected by sjogren
« on: December 03, 2014, 09:50:54 AM »
ehi everybody, my daily visit to doctors took me to  my gastro,hope its the right name,the doctor who looks after stomach and colon etc. i  asked her if the spasm i feel in the oesophagus can be related to the lack of moist  and the answer was NO because  that particular mucosa is different and not inflluenced by the same type of glands that influence throat and mouth. so thats just a spasm because im  worried about dry throat and when i eat im very nervous.i believed her not beecause shes a doctor.... but because i had a doubt about that and yesterday bfore eating, i took a pill against spasms and everything was ok with oesophagus.
do you have an opinion? i suffer of horrible gastritis since 40 years,have diverticulosis etc so i know the problem
also would like to share that i had my first acupuncure two days ago and it was great for energy.go back tomorrow,lets see if this  goes on. nothing on my eyes but may be a little improvement in saliva. or its just a cohincidence
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

kikil

Re: oesophagus should not be affected by sjogren
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 10:16:31 AM »
Believe me, I have had plenty of issues with the oesophagus and gastro departments, including 2 surgeries for a hiatal hernia.

Glutens and/or wheat seem to play a part in both reflux and Sjogren's, especially if there is a wheat allergy involved. At least from what I have read (online), it has to do with mucous membranes. I wish I could remember more of the details, but maybe someone else with more experience can answer your question.

Anyway, it is great that the acupuncture has been beneficial! I hope that your doctor can help you too!

-Kikil

Dolly Dimples

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 03:25:19 PM »
There are quite a few on here that would disagree wth your Gastro, including myself. 
   I have difficulty in swallowing now, and my consultant immediately gave me Omeprazole to ward off digestive problems.

There are members who have oesophagus cancer, or at least a very real risk of it.

This dryness of Sjogrens interferes with every moisture gland in our body,
       you only need to witness the many wrinkles on my face now , I seem to find a new one every morning!

Give you body inside and out a good moisturizing each day and drink plenty water .
   I wish I had all those years ago just what this crap can do to a body..
                                  Take care, Dolly

kikil

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 03:26:43 PM »
This is one blog which makes a connection between gastro symptoms and SS:

http://reasonablywell-julia.blogspot.fi/2009/02/gastrointestinal-effects-of-sjogrens.html

-Kikil

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 04:34:49 PM »
I would tend to disagree. There are a number of gastro problems that have been correlated to Sjogren's including acid reflux, IBS, and issues associated with misfiring of the autonomic system in the gut.  Plus, the lack of moisture in our mouths means that we may have problems swallowing because our chewed food is drier, and it is not as broken down by the enzymes in our saliva.

For the specific problem that you are having, it may be worth trying eating a small mouthful of food, and sipping water as you chew, to help soften the food.  You may also want to try eating softer foods for a bit, to see if that makes a difference. I use to love steak, but find that it's hard to get that sufficiently moistened to swallow. I tend to eat foods in a sauce, or softer foods like cooked vegetables, which are much easier to consume.

Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 04:41:49 PM »
I am not a doctor.

I don't think your Gastro knows anything about Sjogren's.  Questionable if he understands lubrication for one's esophagus comes from saliva.  I do NOT know if the throat produces any other lubricant as I understood you to say he intimated.  In either case, you stated he used the word "mucosa."  If we are on this forum we know that both saliva AND mucosa are affected in Sjogren's.  So--does he believe the esophagus is magically immune to the damage our white cells do to our mucosa and saliva?  Hmmm. 

Cough:  Many of us have reported periods (and in my case LONG periods) of shallow, non productive coughs.  Though doctors (and patients) have shared their diagnoses and/or their treatment of said cough or throat irritation, not one has ever reported such a conclusion as your physician shared with you.  It is difficult when we must see physicians for various conditions and we find ourselves at their mercy no matter how casually they treat us and our symptoms.  I would venture to say it is difficult for you to find another gastro.  That means you must treat yourself.  That means humidifier, one of the saliva meds, and some type of dry mouth mouthwash or gel to help you not be so dry when you go to sleep.  During the day water will help you with your swallowing.

I believe you have said you know or have used Xylimelts.  This is a product which can be overused.  Since I turned my heat on (my GAS heat) I have used at LEAST one per night.  If I didn't, I would be hacking a dry cough all night.  I know...I did it for years until I was diagnosed and understood I wasn't really "coughing" in the middle of the night, I was CHOKING...and by the time I was awake and aware....I was hearing AND producing a shallow, hacky cough.   The cough was really my trying to swallow.  I couldn't as there was no saliva/mucous in my mouth OR THROAT or ESOPHAGUS.  This is a description of a "symptom" I would hope no doctor would brush it off.  I hope you can produce enough information  for your doctor that he spends some time researching what Sjogren's is. 

Didn't get to the store to get the prosciutto yet.   :) ;D
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

bluegardenia

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 05:27:21 PM »
may be i did not explain well what i mean and what i understood from gastro.
she did not say that  oesophagus has not mucosa...my question was if it was possible that i have spasms to oesophagus due to glands affected by sjogren. sjogren affects exocrin glands and in oesophagus,for what i understood and what i looked now in google, there are not exocrin glands.

Questionable if he understands lubrication for one's esophagus comes from saliva.
of course,oesophagus gets lubrication from saliva but i have  oesophagitis since  30 years and i had lots of saliva!!!
i had 3 gastroscopies (2 done by this gastro  and the last one by another one)before starting this awful thing and  in the last 3 they found  a little hiatal hernia  that can be found in many lucky people without sjogren.just think how many  antiacids and pump inhibitors they sell!!

it would be nice that there was a doctor here to answer our questions.
i use biotene and some other products for dry mouth ,
i think that cough comes from dry throat ,not dry oesophagus.
ive seen a maxillo,hope u understand what i mean and he said i had an irritated throat from reflux.he doubled my omeprazole.
another thing,to which obviously i cannot answer,is if we have more  acids because in the stomach there are exocrin glands.
but if there are NOT exocrin glands in the stomch and in the oesophagus, why should we have more reflux than "normal" people??

60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

bluegardenia

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 05:40:28 PM »
i googled and i found  some particular exocrin glands in the stomach,  pancreas nd colon.not in oesophagus.
ill  send a mail to gastro......
i so would like to have a doctor here now but its 2 40 in the morning ...

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 05:56:46 PM »
Sjogrens is a disease of the secreting glands and the salivary and mucus glands in the GI tract are secreting glands.

The stomach secretes acid and mucus and this can be refluxed up to the top of the stomach and into the bottom of the esophagus. There is a sphincter at the top of the stomach called the cardiac sphincter which relaxes allowing the acid and mucus up into the bottom of the esophagus. This is extremely common in people with sjogrens.

There are medications that can be taken to decrease the amount of acid in the stomach which helps the heartburn and reflux issues. Also, with the sjogrens all gastrointestinal tissues can be affected. There can be increased constipation due to the decrease in secretions from mucus glands in the colon. Also, there is a neuropathy that affects the GI tract called gastroparesis.

This is a neurological issue related to the central nervous system and can cause the slowing of the spasms in the GI tract that propel the food through the tract after it is swallowed. There can also be excessive spasms of this tissue/muscles of the GI tract which can also be painful and not propel food like it should or cause diarrhea.

Also, we have a higher concentration of acid in our stomach because we make less saliva. The saliva and mucus we make in the mouth, esophagus and stomach are what dilutes the acid in our stomach. Less saliva-mucus results in higher concentrations of acid. The relaxation of the sphincter can sometimes be the factor that results in the reflux in spite of enough mucus/saliva. This is where the neurological issues come in. You may also want to see a neurologist as most sjogrens patients have neurological issues and benefit from seeing neuro if symptoms warrant. Good luck. Irish.

It sounds like you may need second GI doc's opinion. Good luck.. Irish.

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 06:17:37 PM »
The description from IRISH should be posted on the Path to Diagnosis area so it can be referred to easily.  Most excellent Irish.  Thank you, thank you.  And bluegardenia, go to sleep! 
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

bluegardenia

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 06:26:34 PM »
yes very very exhaustive,thanks!!!
yeah,im going to sleep or at least try

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 05:43:25 AM »
Hi, I've been watching this discussion and pondering how I relate to it.

About two months ago I noticed that I was very hoarse during the day.

I asked about that here on our Forum, since I thought it was related to my Sjogren's.

Here I was told that hoarseness might not be from Sjogren's but from a form of GERD (reflux disease) called Laryngopharyngeal Reflux.

It can be a 'silent reflux' which means you don't feel or notice that the acid is moving up into your throat all the way to your vocal chords.

This is most likely what is happening to me, and now I notice that I have mild 'heartburn' towards morning (4-6 am), that my throat is slightly sore, that my mucus has increased in an effort to soothe my vocal chords.

My Otolaryngologist told me to double my Omeprazole and he is seeing me next week.  I also have a hiatal hernia.

I have tried to eliminate caffeine, carbonated beverages, and alcohol from my diet...with intermittent success (sigh).

When I eliminate all of the above my symptoms improve after about a week.  But then I backslid.  (sigh)

After reading this Forum for over four years, with all of the information and wisdom, and doing my own research, I know that there are so very many ways in which our Immune Mediated Conditions (like Sjogren's) can affect us.  And in addition we are each different, and there are also infections and conditions like my form of reflux, which may not be related to Sjogren's.  However, I suspect that the entire process of having Immune Mediated conditions (misfunctioning or malfunctioning of our immune system) changes and weakens our entire body.  The Immune System is extraordinarily complex, as are many of our systems....and everything is connected.

Doctors who think that each system is separate, each organ stands alone, don't understand basic medicine, let alone the complexity of Immune Mediated Conditions.

I hope you find support and relief, bluegardenia.

Hugs, Elaine

Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) C-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om. 3-Naltrexone-Esomep.

babsy123

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 11:17:16 AM »
HI,

Just wanted to throw in my two cents.  Due to Sjogrens, I have esophageal motility issues. Sometimes food gets stuck or sits in my esophagus. I also have some sort of pseudo tumor of the esophagus but its not Barretts. I have chronic Gerd due to the dryness and nerve damage to my esophageal sphincter not working properly. My gastro said that in addition to it being Sjogrens related, it could also be a CREST syndrome whiich is a variant of scleroderma which can overlap with Sjogrens. He recommended mammometry testing but I found if I eat slow, chew well, don't take in too much air when I eat and I take my medications, I seem to be able to deal with it. Of course, if it gets worse, I would do something about it.  Your Sjogrens may not be the original cause of gastro problems but it surely doesn't help them. And yes, it does affect the esophagus.

DX Sjogrens and Sarcoidosis, chronic GERD, .