Author Topic: Sjogrens: Viking Warrior Disease!  (Read 22070 times)

meow

Sjogrens: Viking Warrior Disease!
« on: March 17, 2010, 11:45:06 AM »
I met with my new rheumy today. It was great! She told me most of what I already know, told me that this is probably what I've had for the last ten-twelve years that no one could figure out, told me what to expect, and it turns out she's from the same part of Pennsylvania as I am. She also started me on plenaquil, and  I go back in 6 weeks.

She told me that SS is most common among the northern Europeans--Scandinavians, Scottish, Irish--in fact, the incidence of SS in Ireland is about 25%!  as opposed to 2-3% here. This group usually has robust immune systems, as far as viruses and bacterial infections, and tend to heal quickly from wounds. It's a Viking Warrior disease.

This just confirms what I've noticed about everyone here. A tough group of determined people!
I refuse to tiptoe quietly through life, only to arrive safely at death's door.

Sjogrens, Hashimotos, CFS.  Also, fast approaching CRS Syndrome ;)

Epson

Re: Sjogrens: Viking Warrior Disease!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 11:52:07 AM »
It certainly makes sense, that's why Scandinavians, Irish and Scotts drink so much, Sjogren's

inga

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 12:13:06 PM »
I have been asked by 2 docs if I had Scandinavian blood.

I do, quite a bit.

They also didn't move far from the farm if you know what I mean.

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 12:18:52 PM »
My Irish family name traces back to a nickname for norse invaders, duhh-ghall, which means dark foreigner. This name was changed over the years to become Doyle. That all makes perfect sense to me.

I had a similar discussion about a number of autoimmune diseases and the link to the scandanavian/celt lineage, with a doctor at a renouned clinic who told me years ago that I couldn't have sarcoidosis because I'm not African/Canadian. It seems that only n the USA is sarcoidsis more common in people of African decent, for example , the late Reggie White and Bernie Mac.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

sleeeepy

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 01:00:24 PM »
I too am Irish...both my mother and father were Irish descent. I have heard before about the connection and am now liking the idea of it being a WARRIOR DISEASE...cause we have to be Warriors to get through this crap.  The only thing is since I am Irish and not Scandinavian....maybe I will be known as the Leprechaun WARRIOR instead of the Viking Warrior....LOL.  Either way I like the name. Thanks for posting this information very interesting.  Mary

Nans

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 01:51:22 PM »
Oh well - that figures.  My father was Swedish and it seems as though it's that side of the family where the autoimmune stuff is coming from.   ::)

Dolly Dimples

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 02:50:26 PM »
 Drat my Gt Grandfathers!!
                             One was Irish, the other was Scotch. Bah!!

Dolly

sewandsew

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 04:59:34 PM »
No northern European descendents and I still have it.

SueAnn

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 05:04:41 PM »
Irish and Dutch here... oh well, I think my dad (Irish) has had SJS for a long time only was never diagnosed.

Sue Ann
Sjs
LDN, Plaquenil, Evoxac, Prednisone, Restasis..
Vit B complex, calcium, Vit D
Female - 50ish

twilite

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 05:06:16 PM »
irish, english, west indian, african and american indian.  go figure...

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 05:39:31 PM »
Until diabetes I healed quickly. Scandawhovian background. I could chop wood all day long or lift almost twice my weight and carry it back to the ship from a raid.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

inga

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 05:52:18 PM »
Well I hate raw fish.

navydad

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 06:01:31 PM »
Having the same last name as that pretty good tennis player from Europe,, well it just had to happen that I would get a AI

RobinBat

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 06:42:01 PM »
no vikings or irish on either side of the family that I know of....guess I am the odd one.... :-[

denisezesh

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 07:30:16 PM »
i,m Polish & Russian....