Author Topic: A way with words  (Read 4801 times)

harrigan

A way with words
« on: February 10, 2010, 02:29:30 PM »
One of the things I have loved about our amazing global family is all the lovely sayings we can pick up from each other.  My all time favourite has to be Irish's 'Don't get bent out of shape!' as it perfectly sums up what I do when I let things get to me rather than rationalise them and talk them through!

I also love Bernice's expressions.  I think B must be like Anne of Greengables and 'can speak in capital letters' too!  What's your favourites?  XX Ailsa
Female, 54
Diagnosed with Sjogrens March 09; Rheumatoid Arthritis February 2010
Meds: abatacept, Methotrexate injections , Folic Acid, Amitriptyline, Ozepramole, Tramacet, Glandosane & Viscotears.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Re: A way with words
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 02:35:56 PM »
"When you're here, you're like family" . . . oh wait . . that's the commercial for Olive Garden!!   ;D  ;D  ;D
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Patze

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 03:08:04 PM »
Ah, Bucky, my favorite restaurant!!! 

I can't remember who said "that dog don't hunt", that has to be one of my all time favorites.

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Poochie

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 03:14:27 PM »
I still tell everyone that "When you're here, you're never alone!" and "Sjogren's......the gift that keeps on giving".

Just wish someone would include a return receipt when they dx us something else. :(

Hugs, Pooh

lynnmarie219

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 07:31:13 PM »
Bucky...Bucky...Bucky...what will we do with you???  ;)

Pisces24

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 02:42:16 PM »
Oh gosh I don't feel so alone anymore.  :D  I use phrases occassionally and always get weird looks from my coworkers who are mostly younger in age.

I was talking about taking a load of buckshot to the groundhog to keep him from coming out and seeing his shadow and nobody had a clue what buckshot was. Also,explaining the mechanisms of washing with a wringer washer was a real hoot.

I get at 6s and 7s at times and want to meet the devil at the door before he gets there and want to holler down a rain barrel even though it won't do me any good. There is still stuff I won't touch with a 10ft pole too.

My favorite analogy, I guess you call it, is the wet cat syndrome which I unfortunately feel at times. Thankfully it doesn't last and like a cat, it dries off in time. LOL

Ohiocat

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 03:03:44 PM »
Lately I have been "busier than a one armed paper hanger".

or worse - a one armed paper hanger with an itch.

I have heard this expression most of my life,  Does anyone know what a one armed paper hanger is?
(I don't!  LOL).

Just think of all the expressions that kids might not understand in the future.   Such as why is it that you "dial a phone number"   It's been many many years since I last saw a dial on a phone!
female 50+, no thyroid - levthyroxin 125mcg; Primary Sjogrens:  Dry mouth; Dry eyes-thera tears, Restasis twice daily;

Patze

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 03:17:47 PM »
If you figure out what to do with Bucky, don't be shy Lynnmarie, and please do pass it on!  ;)

Ah Pisces, a girl after my own heart!  I so remember the wringer washer (my grandmother had one of them things when I was a kid)!  I know when I mentioned it to kidlet, I had to find a picture of one to show to her so she'd believe that they actually used them in the day.

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

lynnmarie219

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 03:45:31 PM »
I think I'm straying from the subject here but ohhh the memories...I used to help my grandma with the laundry in her basement with her wringer washer....I would catch the clothes when they came through the wringer to put into the rinse tub! :)

And the dial phones...that's all we had! And the "rabbit ears" on top of the tv to adjust the few stations you got in black and white...oh I could on and on.....and we were happy!

beverley

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 02:22:04 PM »
My husband always says, 'that's close enough for jazz', which I love.   

I like to say, when talking about the behaviour of animals, children, teenagers, parents (anybody really), 'well it's in their job description'.

Beverley

Bernice

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 10:10:17 PM »
Ohio,
Picture this!
First, have you ever hung wall paper? well believe you me it takes two hands and some and God forbid if that stuff starts to peel off the wall, then what ya got to do? you got to hold that stuff up while trying to paste it back up, that takes some doing, ya yee me?

So let's just say that one arm wall paper hanger got his work cut out for him, he's busy, with more than he can handle! Get it? And Lord help him if he's got an itch cause that one hand is holding up paper, so what's he to do? Itch or watch that paper fall to the floor. Whatever he chooses to do at this point he's misable and in a real pickle!

Pisces24,
Gal, you can shoot that goundhog with that big buchshot ball all ya wanna, but iffin he got a mind to rise he gonna rise and its gonna be cold longer than you like, cus that's just the way thangs is, feel me? He got to rise fo ya to shoot em anyhow and by this time it's already too late! So leave em alone and let em rise and show emself!

And gal trusting in luck ain't no good nohow, serves ya right and you meetin the devin at the doe is best cause iffin he gets his foot in ya sho nuf got somethin to deal with and hollowin way down that rain barrel ain't gonna do ya no good it only gonna viberate and who gonna care to listen anyhow? Girl, there stuff nowadays I won't touch with a 20ft. pole, ya know thangs ain't what they used to be, it's far more potent thangs out there nowadays, best to keep a bigger distance to be on tha safer side of thangs.

LOL! LOL! Gone with yoself now! Yeee me?

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 02:40:00 AM »
When asked, "How are you doing?", I respond with "I'm Alive". This will either stop the conversation or start a new one.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism