Author Topic: Books that cheer you up?!  (Read 2086 times)

paperdoll

Books that cheer you up?!
« on: July 06, 2010, 07:35:59 PM »
Hello,

I need a little encouragement and more mindfulness in my life - and I am sure you all have some resources up your sleeves!

Some history:
I have Primary Sjogren's, don't have kids, have doggies and a partner of 9 years.  The muscle pain I never reported officially to the doctors - but I seem to now have many trigger points in classic areas fibro?

I have dealt with periph neurop (hands feet and nose/lips - they are barely there) and sciatica from buttock down to toes.

What helped:
 seem to have those helped immensely by avoiding gluten, dairy and nightshades.  Occasionally I will slip 90-10% ;) 
Plus the Occ Ther and Phys Ther have helped a lot.

What's new:
Now am having painful muscles and extreme fatigue.  The muscle thing is affecting my exercising, sciatica, neurop and my mood (sleep I need sleep haha)  :P 

Just need some uplifting books :D
to help me get out of my head and narcissism.  I am stuck on the internal radio station of "getting sicker" vs. "living well" station. 

Recently read:
"Happiness is an Inside Job" (about a life path in mindfulness and meditation - very real and reassuring that I do not need to be perfect LOL).
The "You Don't Look Sick" book was cool!

Interests:
Would like to try and take online classes, try to work what soc sec will allow (but what job?) and get a hobby (love art, mysteries, pbs, npr, museums, music, comedy, newbie knitter, maybe learn sewing machine) - maybe writing!

Thank you my Sjo-Warriors :)
Cyber hugs n kisses

LizPetillo

Re: Books that cheer you up?!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 03:18:08 PM »
The one book that really cheers me up .... The God Father. 
I just love it when Michael Corleone says he's going to take care of all family business.
And then the 'deals' with everyone who has wronged him.
bwahahahahaaaaa (evil laugh).

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 05:47:28 PM »
My dyslexia forces me to listen to books on tape. The recent series is Percy Jackson and the Olympians. I also enjoyed the Wheel of Time series and the Harry Potter series.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

SLEEPY101

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 09:09:49 AM »
If you like  murder mysteries you might like the ELEVENTH VICTIM by Nancy Grace. She has a news show on HLN. I thought it because if had some unexpectible tists in turns. Not a happy unlifting book but  interesting book.

I am not really a Tori Spelling fan but I do enjoy her books. She is actually pretty funny. Not a professinal writer but funny. Esp if you are a Mom you will get lots of laughs in her 2nd book. Mommywood. I tried to read her Mom's book, she is not funny could not get past the 1st chapter.

I am embarrassed to admit but I am a Twilight geek!!. Did not think I would like them. Only read because I have a teenage daughter. They are science fiction but really a love story. It brought me back to my younger years,remembering first love, when you first get a fuzzy feeling:) So it does take you into another world and forget about you problems:)

Patze

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 02:44:39 PM »
Paperdoll!!!  I'm glad to see you but sad that you're not doing well. :(

I try not to read much as I have to do it so much at the office, and by the end of the day, I'm usually wiped out.

What helps to make me laugh is some of the games available for computers these days.  I usually like the puzzle/find the object kind of thing; they're easy to figure out and with some skill, easy to solve as well (I'm all about easy at 1 am and suffering sleep deprivation once again).

Hugs to you, and I hope that you feel better soon.

Take care of yourself and don't be such a stranger!

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

SLEEPY101

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 09:12:16 PM »
Have you read the Chicken Soup for the Soul series. There are books for every interest. Teens,Moms,Pet lovers. They might bring tears to your eye but stories are uplifting

Your question about work. I do not have detail but my Uncle was getting paid for writing blogs on the internet. The more people read the blogs the more he got paid. I know at one point he got to busy and had to hire and assistant. He does not do that right now he works for compassinate iternational. Thought since you like to write you might enjoy blogging. I am sure there are a lots or scams our there,so be careful but there are some geniune opportunites.

You like dogs, Do you have one? Local libraries have reading with dog programs. You would bring your dog once a month and the child would sit and read to your dog. All you would have to do is listen. Sounds uplifting and rewarding