Author Topic: HIDA Scan  (Read 8487 times)

lynnmarie219

HIDA Scan
« on: February 10, 2010, 07:48:27 PM »
In the  last week I have had a CT Scan of the abdomen/stomach area and a Gall Bladder Sonogram...now they want to do a HIDA Scan which I am trying to research some more. The question I have is what can they find on this type of scan that they couldn't see on the 2 others that I had done?

Anyone have one of these done before?

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
Re: HIDA Scan
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 08:50:17 PM »
I had this done just a couple of years before I was diagnosed with sjogren's. I had radioactive dye going through me to show if everything could get through my gallbladder and liver. Not sure what all else, but the end result for me was it went ok through my liver, but couldn't enter my gallbladder.

My gastroenterologist ask me if I  had any gallbladder pain. I said no. He said well that saved you from surgery. He said it's as if your gallbladder has dried up. Well I think I understand now from the sjogren's that it means there was so much inflammation nothing could get through.

I didn't go through any pain during the test.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 04:19:34 AM »
The difference between the two scans you had, and a HIDA , is that the HIDA actually shows function and "flow" between the liver and gall bladder, while the CT and sonogram (US) only show structure.

Mayo has an excellent explanation of HIDA at http://bing.search.sympatico.ca/?q=HIDA%20scan&mkt=en-ca&setLang=en-CA
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Patze

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 04:34:00 AM »
You beat me to it Linda!  I love the Mayo Clinic's websites, they are so informative.

Hi Lynnmarie, I hope that you feel better soon!

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Babs659

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 04:44:21 AM »
I also had that done, and I can't remember why the gastro ordered it (duh!).  But he said it shows how fast and thoroughly the gall bladder empties.  Mine was borderline abnormal.  It was a couple years before my diagnosis but I betcha it's a Sjs gift.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 05:19:10 AM »
They did this for me before they took my gall bladder.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Nans

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 05:42:36 AM »
I had one too - last July.  The ultrasound they did first showed no stones so I then had the HIDA which showed my liver was normal but my gallbladder was not emptying as it should so I had it removed.  The surgeon said the walls were thickened due to inflammation.  This was about a month before I was diagnosed with SjS.  I am wondering if the Sjogren's had anything to do with my gallbladder going bad.

lori

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 01:27:14 PM »
Ive had two- for years I had gallbaldder issues but no stones so no one would take the stinkin thing out- finally after two years of agony and a trip to the ER with severe pain they did the second hida and it show34d little to no function of the GB. finally had my GB out in July and I feel sooooooooo much better. it is a long test- i was on the table for two hours. its nice if you can nap- i just spent the time im prayer. its not a painful or bad test - just long!!!! and yes it can show stuff the others cant-its a  good test to see GB function when all other tests look clean.

best wishes
lori

ohiolady

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 02:10:21 PM »
Lynnmarie,

I've worked for a surgeon for years and we run HIDA scans to test the function of the gallbladder.  Our own daughter, did not have gallstones but had a gallbladder that was barely functioning.  Before my surgeon removed her gallbladder she got to the point where even water made her nauseous.  She also had the typical RUQ pain, radiating to the back.  Removing the gallbladder made her feel much better but she was left with IBS.  I really think every body part is needed to function optimally.  Well, optimal really isn't our plight, is it?

Sure hope they get to the bottom of this soon and can get back to some type of normalcy.

Anna

SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

lynnmarie219

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 11:13:03 AM »
Thanks for all of the information.....mine is scheduled for Tuesday morning! At first they said NPO after midnight and my test is at 10....I asked if I can have water and when they went and asked the guy who actually does the test he said yes...water was fine.

So just as a side note....they make these "generic directions" up for all tests...but please ask the actual department/person who is doing the test as the generics may not always be 100 % accurate...they just use caution to be on the safe side....I think its just easier to say..."NPO after midnight" for everything but they don't take into account people like us who may have a lot of difficulty going for long periods of time with no water to wet our mouths/throats.

So lesson of the day...always question..... ;D

Patze

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 05:21:11 PM »
Good luck Lynnmarie, and I'm glad that you'll be able to have water!  When I had the EMD done, they would not let me drink any water four hours before that test, and by the time I was ready to leave, I was begging for water; thankfully they were kind and let me have all I wanted.

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen