Author Topic: You and Me both Wen  (Read 5984 times)

harrigan

Re: You and Me both Wen
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 12:16:36 PM »
So glad to hear you are feeling a little better and calmer.  Hope you can work some things out more clearly now you have a bit of thinking space.  I also started teaching late -41- so I understand how you feel about the pension.  Try to relax and listen to your hubby - don't even THINK about going in to school!!  XX Ailsa
Female, 54
Diagnosed with Sjogrens March 09; Rheumatoid Arthritis February 2010
Meds: abatacept, Methotrexate injections , Folic Acid, Amitriptyline, Ozepramole, Tramacet, Glandosane & Viscotears.

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 07:23:35 PM »
I know how you feel. I am a teacher(special education), and started late also.I am 56, and have in 15 years. I need to quit, but I am the only one working. My husband is disabled, but not getting a monthly check due to not enough time turned in to social security. He has so far got help with his medical expenses after ending up in the hospital a few years ago.

So when I quit it will be only what I get for us to live on. I try to not think about it.But, it's hard not to when I hurt everywhere, and have nooo energy, and everything at school seems to be going at an even faster pace with many new rules and expectations.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 10:01:41 PM »
beverly, I am so sorry to hear about all you are going through.  I am not a teacher but am a retired(disabled) RN and I am familiar with the state coming in and checking things. One year at the facility where I worked we even had the Federal government come in and check us. We had so many good state inspections that the feds didn't trust the state and had to see for themselves.

Anyway, I get it and I can understand what you are going through. I was the main breadwinner at my house too when I had to quit work. It is really stressful when we get to this age and get sideswiped by the illnesses.

I am hoping that the doctors will decide to put you on one of the stronger medications like methotrexate, imuranc, etc to see if they can get your autoimmune stuff under control. I know that if you could feel better you could make it through several years of teaching which would help so much with your future years.

Also, I can also understand what you will be going through at school with all the parents needing to question you and then to have the rechecks being done...NOthing but stress for sure. Things will settle down and all the teachers will have to find a way to cope to get through it. Life is not simple is it??Will be thinking of you and hope and pray that you perk up both physically and emotionally. Just please don't go back to work too soon or it could really knock you off your feet for good. Good luck. Irish ;D

beverley

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 06:06:13 AM »
You are all so understanding and I can see that many of you have been through similar experiences.  I am off for this week, then it's half term and I think I should be ready to go back then.  However, how long I stay I can't tell.  My husband is very keen that we should sit down and look carefully at all options so I'm not rushing into anything.

Feel much calmer now.  Next step will be to reduce anti-inflamms.  My rheumy has been pressing for me to try MTX and it is my own fault I haven't taken it up, but it is that whole denial thing - I'm not that bad, I can cope, .... you know how it goes!  

Love to everyone - you are the best.

Beverley
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 06:12:58 AM by beverley »

harrigan

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 12:23:59 PM »
Well Beverley - I took my 1st dose of methotrexate tonight.  Think you ought to join me seeing as we have so much else in common!  Hope you are starting to feel  bit better and more able o look at your options XX Ailsa
Female, 54
Meds: abatacept, Methotrexate injections , Folic Acid, Amitriptyline, Ozepramole, Tramacet, Glandosane & Viscotears.

beverley

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 08:34:57 AM »
I may have to go down that road Ailsa - but first I am seriously looking at early retirement and part time work as SENCO to a few schools.  My husband and I have sat down and looked at it and financially it might be doable - possibly - depending ... you know how it goes.  I've had a letter today from my head.  He has referred me to occupational therapy and has suggested that I ought to stay off til Easter - but honestly two weeks and I'll be back on the road - how could I justify being off that long?!  Trying to have a chat with him to find out exactly what he has in mind.

Beverley

Katybarstool

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 01:12:16 PM »
Hi Beverley

Am just catching up, after being away for a c ouple of weeks. How are you now? Have you made any decision about going back?

Sending you a sisterly hug.

Kathyx

harrigan

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2010, 10:33:14 PM »
Kathy - hello!  Lovely to see you back and hoping your holiday was wonderful! XX

Beverley - just wondering how you are this morning and if you are well enough to be going back into school?  Thinking of you and hoping you are feeling more rested and a bit clearer about what future plans.  Take your time, don't feel pressed into rushing into anything XX Ailsa
Female, 54

Katybarstool

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2010, 12:39:11 PM »
Ailsa

We had a wonderful holiday. The weather was hot, the boat and food fantastic, and I swam in the sea! What more could a girl need?

I've got my first day back at work uunder my belt - and survived my asthma review, even though I have a virus, so life is good.

Thanks for asking.

Kathyx

beverley

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 12:41:05 PM »
Ailsa you are so kind - thank you.  I did stop posting on this thread because I thought everyone would get fed up ... I'm not feeling much better as yet, still worrying about my class and my special needs children and to top it all have gone down with a bladder infection.  My Dr. thinks it must have been brewing for quite some time as my 'puss' (yuck) reading was off his scale card.  So on meds for that now but have permanent headfuzzache and stiff neck.

Made some phonecalls and sent in paperwork for files and emailed the school secretary with instructions and dates for some outstanding meetings etc. and have now decided that I will not think about school at all for the next two weeks.  I know they have a staff meeting tomorrow night for Ofsted report feedback and that is going to be very grisly I think.  I expect my colleagues will bring me up to date so there may be a few more days of guiltridden soulsearching before I finally switch off.

Thank you for asking Ailsa.

Beverley

harrigan

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 07:41:15 AM »
Beverley - just wondered how you have been getting on?  The post from Susan reminded me of you and it struck me I've not seen any posts, or missed them in my own scatty way.  Hope you are feeling better and have come to some conclusions about work. 

By the way - don't ever feel that people will get fed up hearing of your struggles.  We have some of the best listeners in the world on here, and those of us listening one day will be seeking support the next!  XX Ailsa
Female, 54

syng4hym

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 09:05:07 AM »
Jordozmom:  I could have written what you wrote (minus the husband & family).  I sit at my desk 90% of the time, so fatigued, in pain, and sleepy that I feel like there's no point in me being there. I've become a ditz, forgetting everything.  I have no one else in my household bringing in any money, so quitting for me isn't an option.  I've finally come to accept that I am disabled and have filed for disability.  It's so sad at 41.  SOOOO very sad.  Then I worry about living off what comes in for disability.  Am I going to be able to live off that money?  WOW!  What a state we're all in. 

Hugs.

beverley

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 12:22:11 PM »
Thank you, you are very kind to want to catch up with me.

I have been off for 3 and 1/2 months now.  My Headteacher wrote to all the staff explaining that they need to make a teaching redundancy and they were looking for volunteers.  I rang him and said I was interested, but of course I am off sick.  He went away and spoke to Human Resources who said they had no problem making me redundant even if I am off sick and he said to them that he thought I would not want to return this academic year.  They agreed.  So my husband and I went to see my Dr. who is brilliant and very supportive, and he signed me off until June 2nd on the understanding that he will then sign me off til the end of August so that I don't have to return before my redundancy.  Did all that make sense?

My Dr. signed me off with reactive depression caused by pressure of work whilst struggling with SJS.  So as it stands I will not be returning to the classroom and I will be redundant at the end of August when I will take Actuarily Reduced pension.  I am not on a full pension anyway because I have been teaching for 16 years and to get full pension you have to have paid into the system for something like 28 years.  But even so it is a reasonable amount.

We have a cottage that we bought for investment on 'buy to let'.  We did it up and rented it out with a view to selling it at a profit later on to clear all our mortgages as they are interest only.  Sadly the market has taken a hammering and now is not the ideal time to sell, but that is what we are trying to do before I lose my salary at the end of August.  I think I have already said my husband is a self employed gardener and he doesn't earn very much at all as he works part time.  He has offered to take on more clients, but I think we should try and survive on pension and me getting a part time job first.

I did think about doing SENCO part time or 1:1 tuition (one of the government's initiatives) but to be honest I don't think I can face either.  On the whole I am pretty good at present although this week I have had a bout of fatigue and have been a bit tearful again.  But I mustn't complain, I am feeling and look (according to friends and family) so much better than I did back in February.

So thank you once again for asking.  The answer is - doing much better, but still a way to go.

You are all great listeners.

Beverley