Author Topic: Help with Nightime Dryness  (Read 8087 times)

Karen

Help with Nightime Dryness
« on: May 06, 2010, 03:55:03 PM »
Hi, I'm on plaquenil and evoxac, I'm having a really rough go of it with nightime dryness of my mouth, I wake up several times with complete dryness, I don't know what to do
for it, I have water on my nightstand table that I drink periodically throughout the night cause I'm so dry, I use toothpaste that is for dry mouths, isi there anything else out
there that I can use at night.  This is getting so bad for me, I never realized just how bad it can get, it's such an awful feeling when ya wake up and my mouth has not a drop of
saliva in it and I cannot even swallow or even move my tongue cause I'm so dry. 
Karen

ohiolady

Re: Help with Nightime Dryness
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 04:27:23 PM »
Karen,

I had this until I started Evoxac and that has helped tremendously.  I also use Oralbalance Biotene gel.  I wear a nightguard on my upper teeth so I don't grind my teeth.  I fill that with the gel and it last longer.  Do you take one of your Evoxac at night?

Hope this helps.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 06:46:11 PM »
ACK, that nightime dryness is so horrible!

If I have to breathe through my mouth, all is lost, no matter what I"m taking

my mouth feels like sandpaper, no way related to how a mouth should feel.

So I have to be sure my nose/sinuses are clear, as well as that I'm taking enough medication for my saliva.

I take two in the morning and one at night.  I can't take two at night or I drool on the pillow case and it gets wet and COLD.  Then I wake up to flip the pillow.  It's a three ring circus!

But definitely I take one of the pilocarpine (which is like Salagen and Evoxac).

That said, my mouth is still a bit dry when I wake up, spray my eyes with Nature's Tears, take a drink of water, and then go pee.  and this is about two or three times a night on a good night.

Think about keeping your nose clear!  Maybe you need more Evoxac.   

I hope you get some relief.

Once a routine is working, it isn't toooo bad.  Sigh.  Well, most people would freak out seeing me spraying my nose with Nasonex and irrigating it with saline, and spraying my eyes with Nature's Tears and putting in the Restasis, and that's just to get into or out of bed each day.

Then, of course we all know what we do DURING the night.

I just have to have bottles and drops and sprays.  And when I travel I insist on taking them on the plane of course, not to EVER be parted from them.
Stuffing them all into a quart bag is a challenge, but I do it!

Carolina
Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) C-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om. 3-Naltrexone-Esomep.

Prairie Gal

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:10:57 PM »
Karen, at the recent Sjogren's Foundation conference, Dr. Troy Daniels from UCSF spoke about dry mouth problems and noted that drinking too much water will wash away whatever saliva you still have and it's therefore best to just take small sips.  Before I was Dx'd, I'd wake up at night with my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth and I know how awful that feels.  I'm lucky that my symptoms seem to be comparatively mild and that, after I took Plaquenil for almost 5 months, I had a lot more saliva. I haven't needed to take Evoxac because my dryness is not that bad.  Have you been taking it very long and do you take some at night?  From what I read here, it helps a lot of people.

I still wake at night with a somewhat dry mouth, so keep a tube of Biotene's Oral Balance gel beside the bed.  I take a little sip of water and then put a good-size dab of Oral Balance on my tongue so I can distribute it all around.   Some nights I only have to do this once; other nights 2-3 times.  My tongue doesn't stick to the roof of my mouth anymore, I'm glad to say. 

I know at times when the dry mouth wakes me up I've been breathing through my mouth and that makes it worse.  I can't figure out why that happens only sometimes, but told a friend I need to get some sort of chin strap to hold my mouth closed!

Prairie gal

louise

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 08:30:08 PM »
I know people are going to say you can choke chewing gum at night. I sleep with gum in my mouth all night.It is the only way I can sleep. Never lost it never almost choked.
primary sjogrens, adderall xr, diclofenac ,vitamin d3, percocet, b12,b6, omega3, ibuprofen, protonix, voltaren gel, lots of sugarless gum and candy.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 09:01:27 AM »
Hi Karen  :)

Do you use a humidifier? I've read that quite a few people find that running a humidifier next to their beds can help.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

harlin

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 09:09:29 AM »
Hi Karen
I to use a humidifier. First I brush and rinse with Biotene. I usually keep a glass of water by my bedside also. This really helps.

hugs harlin

bloodless

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 12:11:04 PM »
I'm on salagen and still wake up with my lips stuck to my teeth, etc...I had over the counter moisteners, sprays, but still had isssues. My rheumy gave me some samples of stuff called Numoisyn Liquid and Lozenges. They are prescription only, but very good. Ask your doc about them.
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

beentheredonethat

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 01:38:35 PM »
I see that many of you have mentioned Biotene.  It is a great product and I rinse my mouth with it last thing before bed, but I also bought a spray bottle from Walmart and I filled it with the same mouth wash.  Then when I wake up dry, instead of water, I spray my mouth left center and right.  Don't use more, since you are not supposed to swallow it. On a good night, I use it once, on a bad one several times but I hardly waken to do this now and so get back to sleep in a hurry.

I do use Evoxac at night also, but this has improved my quality of sleep a great deal and I hope perhaps it may help some of you.

Nans

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 07:51:54 PM »
I have a bottle of Biotene dry mouth spray on my nightstand.  It doesn't taste very good and has a weird, rather slimy consistency but it really does help with my nighttime dry mouth.

selavy59

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 10:46:16 AM »
I too have horrendous problems at night, it's not just a very dry mouth it's also a very sore tongue.

However, I have found a product that helps but it's in the UK. So for all those that live on this Sceptered Isle (no, I don't know what it means either) nip along to Boots and purchase Expert Dry Mouth Wash. Definitely helps for those night time dry mouth probs.

sewandsew

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 11:31:55 AM »
You may think I am strange, but I have a suggestion.  When I wake up with one of those coughing spells that won't stop, I head to the kitchen and have a short glass of milk...and...a sugar free oreo.  Works every time.  I remember when my kids were babies with colds and the doctor would say, "no milk" and suggest other liquids to cut the phlegm.  Worthy of a try--but make  it sugar free so you don't have to brush your teeth again.

Dolly Dimples

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 02:29:11 PM »
  A glass of hot milk and a little honey is so soothing,
             I also use Biotene Oralbalance GEL  which  I find is much better than the spray,
                     it is quite pleasant tasting, if a little sweet, but is sugar free.
                                                               Dolly