Author Topic: schirmer test and trying to kid myself I don't have sjogrens  (Read 1668 times)

loobee

I was diagnosed with hashimotos last year. I probably have secondary sjogrens but am currently trying to kid myself that I don't. A number of my symptoms could be caused by my hashimotos or possibly lyme but i think the money is really on sjogrens (becasue i dont think hashis or thyroid can cause vaginal dryness and i am only 32). I have tested negative for full set of anitbodies including ANA but think that as sjogrens would be secondary, this is not at all unusual...is this correct? Is it common for people with sjogrens to have negative antibodies for the full set? Inflamation markers are also ok.

I had a schirmer test last week and results were 7 and 5. My eye dr says that hashimotos can cause this problem as it affects the tear glands - and that the results wasn't that shocking to him (ie not that low). i have also worn contact lenses for 18 years but stopped wearing them the day before the test. In my latest act of denial, i am trying to convince myself that the results fo the schirmer test were skewed because the test was conducted with the eyes open - does anyone know if this would make much difference to the results. I suspect it wouldn't.     

I think i will ask the Dr for a salivery function scan next and take it from there. 

DragonflyC

Re: schirmer test and trying to kid myself I don't have sjogrens
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 09:36:28 AM »
Sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well!

Hashimoto's can, indeed, cause dryness that mimics Sjogren's, though the two diseases often travel together; you might just have Hashi's, or you might have both.  

Also, it's only secondary Sjogren's if you also have another connective tissue disease.  Just Sjogren's with Hashimoto's can still be Primary Sjogren's, as Hashi's is not a connective tissue disease.  You'd need something else in the mix (like lupus) for your Sjogren's to be secondary even if you developed it after Hashi's.  

How is your TSH level?  Often the doctor will tell you "normal," when it's too high for you personally.  People w/ Hashi's, an autoimmune condition, are often more sensitive that other hypo patients to shifts.  I need to keep my TSH around 1.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 09:38:55 AM by DragonflyC »

loobee

Re: schirmer test and trying to kid myself I don't have sjogrens
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 10:38:33 AM »
Hello DragonflyC

Thank you for your reply - it was very helpful to me as I wasn't aware of the situation re what classified sjogrens as secondary. Tests for lupus and RA antibodies were negative. Re other connective tissue disorders there is a high possibility I have Marfans (height, thin frame, cataracts at young age, flat feet etc).

I find these forums helpful because while I can't control the illnesses I have I do like to try and have tests (and get the corresponding bad news) in manageable quantities...the forums help me to know what to look for and what bad news to expect even if my Dr doesn't. I am not fluent in the language where i live and so I try and have tests just a few at a time so i can take bad news on board and deal with it in stages otherwise its too upsetting...I just feel more comfortable with it that way and these forums help me to have that control. Also to understand the possible outcomes and what they mean - if i didn't know this getting the results in a foreign language would be extra upsetting.   

My TSH is around 1 but T4 and T3 are still feeble and in the lower quarter of the range. To be honest I feel worse since I started levo (I started in September on 25g and have climbed to 75g). I wonder if hashis or thyroid problems can cause vaginal dryness too.