Author Topic: eye check yesterday  (Read 3735 times)

roetta

eye check yesterday
« on: January 22, 2010, 08:39:42 AM »
So yesterday was my bi-annual eye exam. Everything went well except that all this time I had thought my eyes were the one thing not effected by SjS. Apparently not true.

He said my eyes were quite dry and seemed surprised that I hadn't noticed. He gave me genteal eye drops to use three times a day and recommended that I had flax seed oil supplements to my diet.

I know it's not that big a deal and that I should have expected dry eyes at some point. But lately it feels like every time I go to a doctor they find something else wrong. I guess I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Claire the Red

Re: eye check yesterday
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 11:53:06 AM »
Hi Roetta, I'm sorry you feel overwhelmed, but glad the eye doc spotted the problem before it got worse. At least there are some good treatments out there for dry eyes. I've got punctal plugs (which I love) and am on Restatis drops as well as Pataday (like Benadryl for my eyes; helps control allergy issues). It took about 6 months to really feel the effects of Restasis, but now my Shirmers tests are finally showing some improvement. Anyway, I hope you are able to find some good tips on the forum and at least not feel lonely about it.

Patze

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 07:24:45 PM »
Hi Roetta,

I'm also sorry to hear that this is getting you down, I sure know what you mean!  I too have plugs (both lowers done), and I find that it doesn't help all that much even with Restasis (my latest evaporation test was 6 for the right, and 7 for the left (the best one I've had in a couple of years now), still not so good (the normal is 12 with 10 being the bottom of normal)).  

You want a bit of a laugh?  The opthamologist wants me to get tested for SJS, it took everything that I had not to laugh in her face, but she did notice me smiling.  She asked if I'd had it done, and I told her that yes, I have had the testing done, and that it was also in my files, I have a copy of that in my file ). ::)  ;) 

Take care of yourself, okay?  

Hang in there -

Patze

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 03:40:29 AM by Patze »
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

katyjo

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 08:51:56 PM »
I notice that sometimes my eyes are drier than other days.  Sometimes I don't feel like I need drops.  I use Genteal and I think the flaxseed oil really helps with dryness.  I can deal with dry eyes as long as it doesn't get worse. 

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 10:01:28 PM »
Seriously dumb question - flax seed oil - do you ingest it, roll in it or put it in you eyes? I did some web research and every site said it was great, but didn't actually say how you used it.

Thanks mucho

;D
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

lynnmarie219

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 10:18:06 PM »
Flaxseed oil comes in capsules like fish oil.....no dumb questions around here!  ;)

Roetta....I never realized my eyes were as dry as they were years ago either because I just think I got used to how they felt dry and didn't really realize how bad they were until I started to get relief from restasis and other drops. I guess until you "see" things can be better....you don't realize how bad they were....you just write it off as normal for you!

Does that make any sense??? lol

Bernice

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 10:39:32 PM »
Lynn, that is true alto of times you don't realize how dry your eyes really are until they are tested. I didn't because this is how I have been accustom to seeing and feeling for so long. Mind ya mine are not as dry as many describe, but drier than I thought!

Patze

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 03:39:00 AM »
I know what you mean about not realizing how you bad your eyes are until you actually get treatment.  Y'all are so right, it's amazing what one deals with until they finally seek out a doctor.

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

roetta

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 02:24:59 PM »
I'm feeling much better about things today. Sometimes even the little things get overwhelming. I know the dry eyes aren't a big deal. It was more the straw that broke the camel's back, as my grandma would say.

;D

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 10:13:33 PM »
You know, it seems that we just get one more diagnosis added to the list. We don't even have to make a conscious effort to seek out another diagnosis. It just comes. It must be something in the air!!!! We just have to keep a sense of humor about the situation. At least we are not dead.

I have such a time packing to go anywhere and avoid going unless to the kids. I have to pack up so much that it takes me a long time to get ready to go. Reason being: I have to deal with the eye drops, the nasal irrigations (everyday 2xs daily or more for 10 years) dealing with the dentures, using the occasional antibiotic nasal irrigations and antibiotic ointment in my nose plus using my airway clearance device called The Vest twice a day along with my nebulizer. I am supposed to be using a CPAP but that is on hold with all this infection. So there is a lot of cleaning of equipment going on to prevent infections. Told my hubby that I would probably end up having a colostomy and a wooden leg before I was through. Have to just go with the flow. It is all a big pain in the you know where but I can still go and see my grandchildren and hold them. Irish ;D