Author Topic: Anybody have tear duct plugs?  (Read 6385 times)

kwolfsheimer

Anybody have tear duct plugs?
« on: January 16, 2010, 10:07:29 AM »
Hello!  Went to the eye doc yesterday.  I've been on Restassis for about a year.  Well, evidently the doc was not pleased with what he saw. My eyes are getting drier than sand, despite using the Restassis, drops, gels etc. like crazy.  I don't wear contacts much, but if I do, they crack in my eyes, leaving pieces behind that I have to get taken out.  So he opened up my tear ducts more and installed the silicone duct plugs.

Can anybody tell me if they have had any negative or positive effects with these?  Have they made a difference?

Thanks!!
Kelly
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 10:11:26 AM by kwolfsheimer »

olmphoto2

Re: Anybody have tear duct plugs?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 10:33:32 AM »
I might suggest that you try using the search box above and enter 'plugs'...you'll find a number of threads and responses. 

Does your ophthalmologist know that you are continuing to attempt to wear contact lenses???  Perhaps he thinks that after each adverse incident with the lenses that you will no longer ever wear them again.

I personally MAY have finally learned my lesson on using eye make up of any sort, including any foundation that would be anywhere remotely near my eyes.  I'm a slow learner!
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." 
          Ludwig Wittgenstein

inga

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 11:55:48 AM »
Mine fell out and I have a greatly enlarged nasolacrimal duct now.  (That is where the plugs go.)  I don't think this is typical, but little about my Sjogren's has been typical.  My eyes are extremely dry, and I am concerned about them.  Restasis hasn't done much for me.

Putting plugs back in won't work now, since the duct is so huge.  My bagpipe.

I hope the plugs help.

ohiolady

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 12:49:19 PM »
Plugs have helped me and I use Restasis and drops a lot.  My eyes are much more manageable but still bothe me every single day.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

eyeamdry

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 12:53:41 PM »
Plugs are usually a beneficial thing and many people wear contacts with plugs.  In fact, some people have plugs so they can wear contacts.

kwolfsheimer

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 01:10:27 PM »
Mine fell out and I have a greatly enlarged nasolacrimal duct now.  (That is where the plugs go.)  I don't think this is typical, but little about my Sjogren's has been typical.  My eyes are extremely dry, and I am concerned about them.  Restasis hasn't done much for me.

Putting plugs back in won't work now, since the duct is so huge.  My bagpipe.

I hope the plugs help.

That was a little of my concern. He actually had to stretch out my ducts to accommodate the plugs.

I shouldn't wear contacts. I have a bit of vanity from time to time, but I may have to get over myself.  The Lupus and the SJS are slowly stripping this away as I am realizing that my sense of normalcy is becoming more about function than appearances.  I asked about the possibilities of laser eye correction, but my eye doc thinks that I am not a good candidate with the Lupus.   :-\

Thank you for the comments.

ohiolady

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 02:34:58 PM »
Oh my gosh, I wouldn't even think about laser correction.  A lot of people have terrible dry eyes from the procedure itself.  Just ask Lucy.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

Patze

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 03:52:10 PM »
I have silicone plugs for several months now, and I've not seen a difference in the moisture retention nor the feel of my eyes (I also have chronic blepharitis so that doesn't help either).  The only difference is that when my eyes get really dry, I feel the plugs, and they really can hurt sometimes (have to use the heavy duty drops/gel then).  

Thankfully I've not lost a plug yet, but the doctor sure made sure that mine would not fall out when she stretched them out to put the plugs in, and oh that hurt so bad (thankfully most people have very little if any problems when theirs are inserted (please don't think that this experience is normal, it's not), I just tend to find doctors that have a very heavy hand!  ;)).

And Anna's right Kelly, have a chat with Lucy about laser eye correction as she is a fountain of information.

Take care -

Patze
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 06:20:06 PM by Patze »
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

inga

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 05:03:03 PM »
It is very disconcerting to think I blew mine out my nose....not to mention, I can play my nasolacrimal ducts.

eyeamdry

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 06:22:57 PM »

Kwolf...........do not even think of laser eye surgery.  My eye business started 10 years ago with Lasik  My vision has been compromised ever since.  I am getting disability because I can no longer see well enough to work.  They say I'm "visually disabled or legally blind.  I am not legally blind, but for sure I am visually disabled.  I can still drive during the day.  So, I've ranted on here enough about my Lasik and will cut this short.  Remember, though, if you look long enough, you WILL be able to find a doc who will do you, no matter the condition of your eyes.  It's in the money.  I would give anything if I could go back.  It was the worst decision I've made in my life.  Lucy

Rhonda

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 07:38:40 PM »
I tried the plugs but had very little success.  They were constantly bugging me and my dryness wasn't really a whole let better.  However, I did get the lower ducts permanently closed and I AM SO GLAD!!!  What a difference this is made in my life!  While I still have all the other problems that SJS, RA and all the other fun stuff gives me, I can honestly say my dry eyes are at least some better.  I am now able to wear my contact lens at least during the day and I can go more than an hour at night without eye drops. 

Good luck to you!

Poochie

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 09:58:27 PM »
Hi Kelly,
I have had the plugs now for over 2 yrs. and I don't think I could live without them.

I also use Restasis and OTC drops. 

Are you using the "Preservative Free" drops?  If so............, good - if not, perhaps this is part of your problem.  Just a thought.

Pooh

kwolfsheimer

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 03:27:31 PM »
Oh my gosh-- Lucy thank you so much. My doc was very honest with me and said that there was no way that he would consider the laser eye surgery with my condition.  So now I can see why!  Did you have SJS before the surgery??

And Pooh-- I do use preservative free.  Thera Tears is what was recommended.  It seems to be OK.

I've had the plugs now for two days now.  The corner of my eyes itch like crazy. I have tried not to scratch.  My eyes seem better, but the restassis burned like crazy today when I used it. We shall see... I'm keeping an open mind.

Inga-- you had me rolling on the floor with the blew them out of your nose comment. i have to laugh since I can't cry!! ;)

mom2boys

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 05:05:27 PM »
I had plugs put in a couple months ago and I think they have helped.  They do have different sizes too.  I still wear my contacts and actually my eyes feel better with my lenses in.  My problem was at night without lenses the grittiness and burning was too much.  I still use drops intermittently.

RobinBat

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 05:22:19 PM »
I have the lower ducts plugged and wish I had done it sooner. I still use restasis and gel at night but hardly need drops during day anymore. They really made a difference.  ;D
Robin