Author Topic: Winter time panic . . . .  (Read 4359 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Winter time panic . . . .
« on: December 08, 2009, 06:37:33 AM »
Good morning from Central Illinois.  We are expecting a winter storm today thru tomorrow.   :(  We already have some snow on the ground with more to come.  The older I get, the more I panic in winter time.  I, myself, am staying home, indoors . . . no problem.  It's my family out on the roads with all the crazy drivers that scares the living daylights out of me.  I've already got a stomache worrying about their commute home (which is 8-1/2 hrs. away!!).  I know worrying about them and the weather isn't going to change anything, but I just can't stop worrying about it.  I think my mother passed this weather worrying onto me.  Believe me, as the afternoon hours roll closer, the more the panic kicks in.  I'll pray for their safety on the roads and give thanks when they are all home safely.

Does the weather send anyone else into these panic attacks?

If you have to be out in this nasty weather - please be careful, drive safely and put the cell phone down and hold onto the steering wheel.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Patze

Re: Winter time panic . . . .
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 07:54:21 AM »
Hi Bucky,

I know what you mean about worrying about one's safety on the roadways during a storm; it can be scary.

The only thing that I can suggest is to distract your mind by whatever means that you can, and hopefully it'll get a bit better every day until you aren't worrying about it so much. 

Hang in there Bucky, and I hope that it gets a bit better for you....

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Katybarstool

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 02:06:13 PM »
Hi Bucky

I understand your fear too. Our house is down an unmade lane, and I panic when the snow and ice comes, as there's no way I could dig my car out - or push it if I got stuck. Luckily for us, this only happens about once a year, and to date, I've usually had a son at home to help out, but I still panic.

Sending prayers for the safety of your family.

Hugs
Kathyx

Pisces24

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 03:58:51 PM »
Well I am in Eastern Iowa. We got Blizzard warnings all over the place. They are telling everyone to stay off the roads. Expecting 9" to 14" depending on where you are at. Around here saying 9" but that is just an estimate. Wow! 8-1/2 hrs is a long drive. (I'd stay pu if I had that long a drive.) A cell phone is good to have in this weather. I have fellow employees in little towns nearby that I don't think will make it in tomorrow. It took me 25 min to get home from work and I live about 5 miles away from work.  Turns are real slippery.

I remember when my folks were alive my mom & dad used to worry about me in bad weather like this. Not my driving but the other drivers!  When it was bad I used to phone when I was leaving work for home. I don't have anyone to worry about anymore.

Don't laugh but when it gets bad or supposed to, I carry a shovel, sand tube, an old beat up pan to bail snow, scrapers, brush and some rock salt in my car. I also got an old throw I keep in the car for the back seats to keep em clean in case I have to transport something back there.

Hope for me that I DON"T have work tomorrow and I keep my heat. I will get sore shoveling tomorrow anyway.  A fellow co-worker lives a couple blocks away (married w/husky hubby & snowblower) so I can catch a ride w/her to work and home if they can even get out!  I'm all stocked up with food, milk, bread, cat food, etc.  so me & the furry felines will be ok.

Good Luck to everyone having to deal with this!

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 05:59:10 PM »
I usually do not get panic attacks since Inositol. When the blizzard hit today it triggered a flair. It took me two hours to bring it under control. Now it is to control it for the next several days.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 06:11:02 AM »
Pisces24 - I guess I worded it wrong yesterday, it wasn't an 8-1/2 hr. commute for my family, there was 8-1/2 hours from the time I posted until they would be getting out of school / work and traveling home.  Thankfully, everything went well and there were no problems. 

We dodged the bullet as they say, and so far (knocking, knocking, knocking on wood), we just have a few flakes that are flying around with our 35mph winds.  (Could gust up to 50mph today.)

I'm sorry some of you others weren't so lucky and got hammered with all the snow, drifts and icy conditions.    :(  If this is any indication of what our 2009/10 winter is going to be like, we better make sure we stay on top of having food, gasoline, water, etc. ready.

Pisces24 - I'm definitely not laughing about your supplies for your vehicle . . . for us midwesterners that's called a survival kit!!  I have also on occasion packed an overnight bag and put it in the car with a change of clothes, etc.  You just never know!  Also, you should have something to eat with you in the car - like a granola bar or something along that line in case you get stuck for a while.  Of course when the weather is really, really bad they always advise to never leave your vehicle if you should be stuck.  Your chances of getting frostbite and or lost in blizzard conditions increases.

Please stay safe . . . . keep your cell phones charged each night.

Bucky

P.S.  I was woke up this morning at 4:30 a.m. by all the gusting winds.  Instant stomache.   >:(   I got up, got dressed and grabbed a blanket and curled up in the recliner.  Did some deep breathing exercises to calm my nerves - after a while it went away.  I know it's just my nerves that send me into these panic modes . . . got to work on that (although, each year it gets worse and worse).  Unfortunately, I don't know of anywhere that has "perfect" weather 24/7, 365 days of the year.  So, guess I'll just have to tough it out.   ::)
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Bobbie

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 12:44:24 PM »
Hi Bucky,

I am the same way.  I live in Southeastern Michigan.  We have tornado alley around here and snow storms in the
winter!!!

I get very nervous when I see the weather report about an approaching storm. 

Thank God and all the little Angels, my husband had a big ol' commercial generator installed out by our barn.  If the
power goes out, within 5 minutes out house comes right back on line.  I have an autistic son and he absolutely
freaks out when the power goes out.  It doesn't matter if it is in the summer(tornado) or winter (ice storm or snow
storm).

I also have a "kit" in the car with everything I need for any type of situation!!!  A girl has got to be prepared !!!!!!

Take care Bucky  **  Bobbie
Graves,Addison's,Sjogren's,Migraines,Restless Leg,Erosive Inflammatory Osteoarthritis,Peripheral Neuropathy,Osteoarthritis,RA, episcleritis
 Plaquenil, Prednisone, Florinef, Synthroid, Restasis, Evoxac,Zofran,Lexapro,Gabapentin,Maxalt,Naproxen,Divaloprex,Omerpazole,Methotrexate,Remicade

Katybarstool

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 01:00:14 PM »
I hear what you folks are saying. Even here, in our pretty moderate climate, I carry shovel, rocksalt, blankets etc - oh, and not forgetting a days worth of meds - couldn't do without them!

Kathyx

harrigan

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 01:27:59 PM »
Hoping we're not in for a freeze tonight - early start in the morning as Susie is off to France on a school trip for a few days. We have to be at school for 6am.  Actually, not sure which is worst - getting up and out for 5.30 am or staying up and collecting her at 11.30 on Sat night!  Hope the weather isn't too bad for the long coach journey and channel crossing.  I'll be glad when she is home  :-\
Female, 54
Diagnosed with Sjogrens March 09; Rheumatoid Arthritis February 2010
Meds: abatacept, Methotrexate injections , Folic Acid, Amitriptyline, Ozepramole, Tramacet, Glandosane & Viscotears.

Pisces24

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 04:55:01 PM »
We got 12" of snow here. Not much use shoveling it as the wind is blowing it right back. The wind has finally settled down some tonight but they will want people OFF the Roads. You would have laughed at me walking up my driveway after work.  I am 5' ft tall. First of all the snowplow put a huge amount of snow at the end of my driveway. I would say a good 3 ft. Some of it was packed and some not as I almost sank to my hip on one step.  After about about 3 yards I got out of that to my "regular snow" driveway which was up to my boot-tops. I managed today to get a shovel width path down my driveway but it is just way too much. 

I had to work today (sigh!  :( )  but I got a ride from a friend a couple blocks away who works at the same company.  Coming home we did see 3 cars stuck in snow.  I'm getting a ride with her tomorrow and tomorrow I actually got someone to clear my driveway snow. A lot of the Lawn Care companies now switch to winter snowplowing and putting up lights for people.  Doing ok but I already decided I don't like winter!

lynnmarie219

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 04:57:58 PM »
Hi Pisces,

No laughing from me either on your survival kit for your car! It's a necessity! I have to drive about 35 miles each way to work and 95% of it is out in the open country. People who don't leave town to travel out in bad weather don't realize that it is a whole different world out there once you leave the safety of the town with the buildings, tress, etc to block snow and wind...once you get out in the country...it can get crazy and dangerous!

Tonight when I drove home there were only a few inches of snow falling but the wind and cold was awful. The blowing snow made it very difficult to drive in some spots. I think whiteouts are the scariest things to deal with in bad weather. When that snow blows and all you can see is white...you lose your sense of direction immediately.....its hard to describe but it can throw you off course in a second!

Here's to hoping everyone who has to deal with winter driving stays safe! Everyone...be careful!    

Bernice

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 05:26:14 PM »
This post reminds me of the many years spent in NJ. There we had to deal with the snow and ice on a regular. Now that we are in Mid TN we seldom have snow. I think it has been 3 or 4 years without. However they are threatening some for this weekend, but we have to see it to believe it. The last time we had snow they were reporting a BLIZZARD what with no more than 1 inch, if that! :o :o Our community shuts down with a flake of snow so an inch is considered a blizzard!

I do think it may be a winter of snow for some reason, guess cus we seem to be having more cooler days than normal.

And my husband has the nerves to want to move back to the eastcoast, he's from Philly, I'm from TN. I told him you don't wait until you get older to move to the cold, it's the other way around! I'm stayin put! It gets cold enough here even without the snow!

Today started out like a Spring day, but by mid day temp. dropped and husband ran back in for more clothes!  ;D ;D

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 07:02:40 AM »
Kathyx - ya know, I hadn't EVEN thought about putting medicine in my car survival kit!!   ::)  I'm still not use to taking all these medicines even after a year and a half.  Although, I don't think it would be a good idea to leave medicine in the car with the fluctuating temperatures.  But, we could at least carry them in our purses.  With me, I need to look at the bottle when taking my meds - if I saw them in a pill box I'd wonder . . hmmm, wonder which pill this one is??   ::)  Thanks for the reminder . . . I'm off to put at least a days worth of pills in my purse right now . . . one never knows when you might need it. 

Bucky

Katybarstool

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 01:21:52 PM »
Bucky

I learned the hard way. I was admitted to hospital from work, and had to get hubby to bring in my inhalers, pills and general gubbings. Never again! I must have looked like a very neglected lady with the odd assortment of nightwear he brought me. I now have an 'emergency bag' packed and stored under my bed. as well as the stuff in the car.

Kathyx