Author Topic: A New Leaf Club  (Read 29508 times)

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
Re: A New Leaf Club
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 06:50:36 AM »
Does anyone know whether Tupperware still replaces pieces that crack, no long seal, etc.?  When I recently cleaned out that (avalanching) cabinet, I separated the old stuff and kept it "in case." 
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 01:34:09 PM »
Cheryl - I believe Tupperware still DOES replace cracked, warped, broken lids.

Today I read thru and bagged up all the newspapers sitting on the floor by the recliner.  Some, I'm afraid to say, were from October!!   :o   ::)  We only subscribe to the weekend newspaper and get three others free delivered thru the mail.  At least once a month I get a phone call from the newspaper asking if I want to take the newspaper daily . . um, no thanks . . I can't even keep up with it just on the weekends!! 

Bucky

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Chickpea

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 03:01:22 AM »
This morning the sun is shining and I've opened the windows to let the breeze in.  Everything feels so much fresher on days like this. 

Than I tackled one of the many boxes piled in corners.  I have developed quite a good system for moving stuff around with my trusty walker which has a carrying basket and my 'grabber' which I use to pick things up from the floor or manoeuvre small items.  It felt good and I got into a rhythm with piles of books and videos.  Does anyone else find it's the little bits and pieces that cause you the most work?  This was a box from our old sitting room so it had books, DVDs, bottles of nail varnish, lip salve, 'useful' newspaper articles and a guide to the 2009-2010 football season that I'd been searching for!

I'm also paying the price for putting off making decisions.  In the pile of DVDs were two belonging to my son's ex girlfriend.  Do I send them back to her and re-establish contact?  Do I give them to a charity shop?  Do I spend ages worrying about it?  (Answer to the last question:  of course I do!)

Newspapers - I get a daily paper and it's a real treat.  I try to recycle them once a week but I have stopped one activity that created more piles of stuff:  I no longer cut out articles that look interesting and that someday I'll send to someone.  They piled up in corners and I'm convinced they bred.  A bit like plastic bags do when you leave them for too long!

Hope you're all having a productive day.

Chickpea xxx

RobinBat

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 07:02:32 AM »
Chickpea,
I say send the videos and just put in a note saying just found these, sorry not returned sooner, if you don't want to "further" the relationship end it there. If you do, then ask how she is doing or some such....Just my opinion....RobinBat

genko_b

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 10:23:41 AM »
Still recovering from the swine flu so I am trying not to overdo things.

Day before yesterday I took a huge stack of scraps of paper with phone numbers, address changes, emails, and passwords for various internet accounts, and wrote them into my address book (yes, I still keep a paper one). I also input email addresses into my computer email list. So all those little scraps of paper are gone now.

Yesterday I took on a big project for a committee I'm on, and spent time immediately breaking it down into manageable pieces and writing those pieces into my calendar as appointments to myself. It's the best way I know to handle something big like that - it gives me the satisfaction of being able to check things off my to-do list, and also end up with a project mostly done as I approach the deadline.

Today I'm going to finish winterizing - covering up outside faucets and so on. It is more than I have been doing, but since my cough is better, it should be OK.

Genko

Katybarstool

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 12:47:09 PM »
Hi Ladies

You have all been industrious.  Well done to you all. I've not made a start yet, but I hope to do something this weekend. I usually make my conservatory into a 'grotto' for my little grandchildren. They are coming tomorrow to help me. The plan is to ditch any of the decorations that are broken or tatty. That way there will be less to store after the Epiphany.

Kathyx

BeckyG

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 04:49:16 PM »
I would love to join in this!  Though I currently live in an apartment and there isn't a whole lot for me to clean up (I can think of a closet that needs some work!) I really need to join in with the exercising and getting off the computer! (I am a gamer and have been for many years.)  I have already been working on my diet this past week.. I don't think I've ever ate so many vegetables.  But my in-laws are told us they are getting the Wii and the Wii fit for us for Christmas! So there is my incentive to get up and get active!

Add me to the list!  :D

roetta

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 07:20:47 PM »
My plan is to get through the week at work and then tackle the kitchen containers this weekend. I'm taking earlier advice and throwing everything that doesn't have a lid in the trash. Then when there's nothing left I guess I'll just have to go buy new ones!! Hehe

genko_b

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 10:23:29 PM »
There has been no time for me to add any projects to the last three days, what with catching up from being sick with the flu, and several activities that were scheduled, but I've been careful not to let the papers pile up on my desk or inbox. I've been following the rule "Handle everything just once," meaning to recycle junk mail immediately, not stuff receipts in my purse and forget about them, and so on. Likewise, keeping things picked up and put away.

Tomorrow I'm home all day while someone brings mulch to winterize my garden, and I'll be doing some sorting inside.

Genko

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 06:27:44 AM »
Morning Ladies . . . everyone is doing a great job with projects around the home.   ;D  Welcome BeckyG - glad you have in our "club". 

Becky - how fun that you are getting a Wii and Wii Fit.  We don't have one, but we've played on one before and it is so much fun.  We laughed and laughed at how silly we looked trying to do things.  Enjoy your gift.

Chickpea -  I agree with RobinBat's post to return the videos.  You can mention you are moving and came across these and wanted to return them to her.  That way, you'll stop worrying about them and they will be with their owner.  End of story.   :D 

I also save articles from the newspaper or magazines that I think are interesting.  Although, I am keeping them for myself, not sending them to anyone.  (Bucky quietly moves several off the top of the table by the recliner so Chickpea doesn't see the dates on them . . . they've been sitting there for a while.   ;))  Actually, I am going to put them in one of those pocket folders so I can thumb thru them again "some day".

Genko - I'm glad you are feeling better.  Good for you to get rid of the little scraps of paper and putting information in your address book.   :D  I too have a "hard copy" address book.  I also bought myself a nice Rolodex with gift money last year so I could put information in that too.  (As Bucky looks at the stack of little scrap paper next to her computer . . . . um, looks like I need to sort them again and update and throw some out myself!!  ;D

The last couple of days I've been working in the hall closet that has all the coats, phone books, ironing board, iron, games, etc.  I had already gone thru and taken out all the coats that weren't being worn and donated them earlier this summer.  I have a clear, see-thru tote in this closet that has gloves, scarves, hats in it.  I rewashed everything as it has been sitting there for a while.  I pulled out several pairs of outgrown gloves of my sons and will give them away for some other little boy to use.  I came across a couple of puzzles in this closet.  I put one of them together (it's the small 24 pc. kids puzzles) and find that it's missing 3 pieces.  Nows the question . . . do I keep this puzzle and hope that in my cleaning I come across the missing pieces, or just pitch the puzzle and don't worry about it anymore?  With that being said - I DID find the two missing cards in our Rack-o game in this closet which we were missing.  I just hate to throw things away that someone else could use . . . however, it all the pieces aren't there . . . . ::)  What to do, what to do . . . .  ???

Bucky

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009, 12:25:45 PM »
Hi everyone.  I imagine everyone is up to their eyeballs in holiday activities.   :o  Do what you have to do and let the rest go.   ;D  Family teamwork helps - get everyone involved and stop trying to DO IT ALL.

The events of today are the prime reason for me starting this "New Leaf Club".  Today is our sons birthday.  I have wasted several  hours of my day looking for a card that I "think" I bought for him.  Never found it.  Since I couldn't find it, I decided to find the card from last year and make the same card a "yearly" card adding notes on it each year (I did this with my late MIL for 10+ years, it was fun).  Yeah right - good luck finding a card from last year.  That didn't happen either!  (Although, it might be in our sons room "somewhere" and I didn't want to dig.) Then I decided to "make" him a card on the computer.  The disk wasn't working right and I couldn't get the pictures I needed.  Finally decided I had wasted too much time on this one project and drove to the store 10 minutes away and bought a card!!   ::)  GRRRRRRRRR  I desperately need to get all these things organized so I quit wasting my time looking for things.  With Christmas being next week - now is not the time to be sorting and making messes - but AFTER Christmas - let the madness begin!!   ;D

Hmmmm, the brownies I just baked for his birthday smell yummy (albeit, they are lopsided . . . and I even plopped the pan to get the air bubbles out . . . oh well, I'll put the icing thick on the one side!  LOL).

Hope everyone is doing well - remember, if you don't take care of yourselves, you can't take care of your family. 

Hugs,
Bucky

BeckyG

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 02:04:23 PM »
Just wanted to update!  Been working on cleaning out my kitchen.  Decided that this was a good push to do so! And its such a mess.

Two days till I get my Wii! We will see how this will help me get up outta my chair and move around a little even if its cold out!

Diet.. ok its the holidays.. can we excuse ourselves during this time of delicious cookies, fudge and pies??  Please say yes!  ;D

Lots of Happy Holiday Wishes!

Becky

RobinBat

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 02:26:26 PM »
Diet? What is that? Does that mean taste every cookie you make? Cause they are all new Gluten Free Recipes so must taste and make sure ok to serve others, right? Been so busy getting ready and baking and such, today  it all hit, I'm beat! Spending evening on the couch! Anything that is left can wait or hubby can do it!
Will turn over my new leaf next week....
Wishing all a great holiday....RobinBat

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2009, 09:10:10 AM »
Good morning . . . only a few days of 2009 left!!   :o  To me, this year has gone by quickly.  Hard to believe by the end of this week it will be January and a whole new year, 2010.

Now that Christmas is over, all the running and visiting with friends and family is winding down.  Whew . . . the constant go, go, go can be tiring (not that I did any, but I know some of you did).  As I have stated earlier, this next year I really, really want to downsize and get my home in order so I can quit wasting my precious time and energy hunting for things.

One of the challenges in my home is the lack of storage.  We don't have an attic.  We do have a full size basement that right now is the dumping ground for everything that doesn't fit on the main floor of our home.  (Totes of our sons toys he had when we was younger that we are saving for his kids some day.  Christmas ornaments, tree, etc.  Various holiday decorations, etc.)  TONS of empty boxes - we keep all the original boxes that electronics, etc. come in because if you go to sell them, they are worth more if you have the original box.  These definitely need to be consolidated and sorted (plus, I know there are some boxes there for items we no longer own that need to be knocked down and go to recycle.)  There are totes of misc. papers that need to be sorted and probably, most of them shredded.  I could spend weeks in the basement and still wouldn't get everything finished.  I should start with the upstairs living space first as this is what people see when they walk into my home.  So many things I want to do . . . where to begin first??   :o  LOL

This winter I also want to clean out the freezer while I can put some of the food into the garage while I clean it out and it will stay cold.  Anybody have a system that works for a chest freezer?  I KNOW I should be rotating the incoming food to the bottom and use the older items first . . . I know that in my head . . . but, I tend to open the freezer, put something in.  When I need something, take it off the top and the bottom items never get eaten until they have freezer burn on them and then I end up pitching it.  A waste of money spent on the food.  As you all know, we all can't afford to waste money!!  Another one of my projects.

Last summer I bought a white metal two door cabinet at a garage sale for $1.  It's sitting in the garage right now.  Last week I got this idea to take this cabinet to the basement (haven't moved it yet, need one of the boys to help me).  Once it's in the basement then I can go thru the pantry and take out all the lightbulbs, duct tape, screws, glues, bug sprays, and all the misc. "stuff" hogging two shelves in my pantry and then I can reorganize everything and it will all fit.   ;D  (We have an unheated garage and some of the items shouldn't be out in the heat and cold of the garage or I would have moved them out there long ago.)   Wish I had a deep, walk in pantry where I could put all the pans, etc. that aren't used frequently but are nice to have when you need them.  They take up a lot of room.

Ok . . . just listing all my projects makes me tired.  LOL  Better keep moving along here - I'm multi-tasking doing laundry, paying bills, being on-line.

I have a new magazine coming this next month - Real Simple (got a great deal on this, 1 yr. subscription - 12 issues for $5!).  I'm hoping they will have some helpful hints and suggestions for getting things in order.   :D  If I find anything I think would be noteworthy, I will post.

Have a great day . . . . remember, we're turning over a new leaf.   ;D

Bucky

Katybarstool

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2009, 12:02:29 PM »
Hi Bucky

You sound like a very busy lady. It made me tired just reading your post! You will be proud of me today - I actually cleaned out one cupboard. It was something I have been promising to do for a while, but just never had the wherewithall to do it.

When I was studying, we had a module in sociology about the 'doemstic economy'. Basically, if I remember rightly AUDITS were the key to having a balanced life.

A - aquisition
U - utilisation
D - distribution (of)
I - income
T - time (and)
S - skills

However, how many times have we had the income, but not the time, or skills, to do something? Or, we might have the time and skills, but not the income. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

Kathyx