Author Topic: A New Leaf Club  (Read 29562 times)

Chickpea

Re: A New Leaf Club
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2010, 03:53:14 PM »
Bucky - I know exactly what you mean about keeping counters clear and clean.  We seem to accumulate piles of papers, magazine articles, postcards, 'useful' lists etc etc.  On lazy days my idea of tidying up is to move the piles from one place to another; on better days they actually get tackled!

Kathy sweetie - none of us would dream of resenting you your Caribbean cruise.  Wish we could join you - of course!  But so happy for you because you deserve it so much.

Love to all - Chickpea

Katybarstool

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2010, 01:44:43 PM »
Chckpea

Thank you. That means a lot to me.

Kathyx

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2010, 04:57:54 PM »
Kathyx - wow, two - three hours travel time for work because of the snow!!   :o  Definitely is not fun!!

A Caribbean cruise??  Lucky you!!!  "I'm counting the hours." . . . . I bet you are, I would be too!!  Enjoy!!

Today, I attempted to keep working on weeding out the magazine pile - however, Spooky (our cat), who was inside for a while to get out of the cold (she's an outdoor cat) - decided my lap was a perfect place to curl up in.  If I tried to look at a magazine she would keep nudging my hand to pet her.  So, I gave up on the magazines and let Spooky enjoy my lap and the extra attention.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

kimbo

• Love never fails
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2010, 04:53:40 PM »
Buckey,

I am always trying to catchup on these post.... I just read #39 your book share post. I am still on board here.

I have been diligently going after any and all clutter, unused, and un needed article, clothing or paper etc.

As you know my own personnel Flue fire crises, recently brought about a smoke filled house. All is well.

3 great ladies sent by my ins co. cleaned my whole house top to bottom. Not one single piece of lint or dust was left behind, these ladies took no prisoners, in their process of making my house like new, it took 2 days. They said they did not see any smoke damages, just a lot of clean up. My house sparkles.   ;D

I am feeling pretty good about my house. But as you say; it is an on going process. I plan on continuing to make my life simpler by minimising stuff.

The simpler we make our lives the easier our sjoggy minds can focus on what really matters.

Blessings kimbo
Diagnosed March of 2007. SJS/ RA Positive at 80  International-SSA strongly positive at 811-SSB 273
ANA positive at 1:1280
Hashimoto's
Gabapentin, propanol, Celebrex, Synthroid, Cytomel, vitamin D, B complex, Omega 3 complex, and multi vitamins; At 62, I seem to be a low maintenance sjog

genko_b

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2010, 07:21:29 PM »
Kathyx - Have a great cruise! What a wonderful thing to look forward to this time of year.

Joy - Swiffers are the best invention ever. I'm a firm believer in them.

Bucky - You are right about using "good" things rather than saving them for unknown future event. When my sister and I settled our mother's estate, the old house was full to the brim of things we never had even seen before. As we went through them, we each agreed to keep only things we would use, and to sell or give away the rest. We are using my mother's "good china," now over 70 years old, and my sister is using our grandmother's "good" china, which is over 100.

I also have a beautiful set of Japanese eggshell porcelain, hand painted with scenes of families in kimono at different seasons of the year, a wedding gift to my grandmother, that we use to serve tea. It is exquisite and a real conversation piece. And we don't have to dig it out of a box to use it. If it breaks, it breaks - at least we will have gotten some pleasure out of it.

But we got rid of so much more. It was difficult to do at first, but now we don't miss any of those things. You just have to keep that in mind when decluttering - the results are so worth it.

Genko

RobinBat

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2010, 07:09:07 AM »
OK, Have not done alot yet, but have 1/2 the ornaments off the tree and it's only 10am. My goal is to undecorate two trees today. Will be really happy if get one done as also have some errands to do that didn't get done on Friday since the car spent the day at the dealer...$650 later...and that is not counting the $900 the warranty covered! Just taking a break....OK, back to work....
will check in later and let you all know if I did it!
Robin

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2010, 06:59:53 PM »
Genko - the two sets of china and the set of Japanese eggshell porcelain sound so pretty.  I'm glad that you and your sister are using these family heirlooms and enjoying then versus keeping them packed away. 

I have two cardboard boxes of "pretties" that I need to go thru - take pictures of - and then find somewhere to display.  One box are things of my late mother's that Dad let me have from Moms china cabinet.  The other box are things from my late MIL.  I need to take pictures of the items before they get mixed up so I know what belonged to who.

That's a difficult area too . . . when you acquire items - be it jewelry, furniture, serving pieces, knick knacks, clothes, etc. from family members.  I had to finally say I couldn't take everything of my Mother's - plus have room in my house for my own things.  One thing I would suggest if you find yourself in this same situation is to take pictures of the items so you have a keepsake memory of them, just not the particular item.

I have a few things that I had received as gifts from my late sister.  I don't use them, nor display them as they don't fit in with my decor - yet I hang on to them, for the sole reason . . . my sister gave them to me.  According to Peter Walsh - I need to let them go so someone who will use them can appreciate them.  Again, I just can't save everything my sister ever gave me.

I've seen some of those shows on Hoarding - where people hang on to e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g . . . . I'm not that bad.  But I can understand how that happens.

RobinBat - good luck with undecorating your trees. 

Bucky

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

roetta

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2010, 06:46:59 AM »
Today is my first day of my new part-time schedule that I get to spend at home. I plan to attack the desk in the home office. Right now it is so covered in paper we can't actually see the top of the desk, but I'm sure it's under there somewhere!  ;)

roetta

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2010, 10:17:56 AM »
What do you know there was a desk under there!! I even cleaned out a few files. Filled up a shredder. Taking a break and watching a movie as a treat.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2010, 10:33:50 AM »
Roetta - woohoo . . . good for you!!   :D  Isn't it amazing what we can find when we start digging through the clutter??  By taking a break you are following one of the key things all the organizing gurus say - do a little at a time.  It didn't get that way overnight and you can't expect it to be in tiptop shape in 15 minutes!  A lot of people quit even before they get started because the task becomes too overwhelming.  A little at a time is the key!!  Good job!!   ;D

Enjoy your new part-time schedule!!   :D

Bucky

RobinBat

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2010, 11:56:27 AM »
Second tree de-decorated. Is that a word? :D I'm just glad I finished. Now to pack up all the other decorations...I go overboard and since I do two holidays we have alot...just about every room has something...will take a few more days as am trying to pack up in some sort of order. Usually all together and a mess when putting out, want all of same things together. All towels together, all hanukkah together, all thow pillows together ....etc...all xmas linens, hanukkah placemats, etc...as you can see I have way too much and love it all. So no downsizing for me yet....
Robin

harlin

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2010, 12:24:26 PM »
Kathyx
Good for you. We took a cruise 10 yrs ago to eastern Carabien. What a great time we had. 3 ports Porta Rico, Tortolla and St Thomas. Man would I love to go again. Enjoy the sun but not to much. I got so burnt that I could not sit down for a couple of days, I was laying on deck watching the Pool Games and it was cloudy. Didn't think I would be burnt but boy did I. Take lots of sunscreen!!
And Eat until you  burst. The food is fabulous!! You can eat 24 hours a day!!
Best wishes and have a great time!!
harlin

Katybarstool

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2010, 01:52:50 PM »
Harlin

Thank you! We are determined to enjoy ourselves, but I'm not sure we will eat too much. I had lost a few kilos before Christmas, but it has crept back, so I'm now trying to lose some more. I will be having surgery a month after our return, so don't want to be too fat for the recovery.

We are going to Aruba, Princess Cays, Barbados, and a couple of other places. I haven't got the details to hand at the moment, and my brain is bewildered, but I will find out and let you know at some point.

I've not been doing any clearing out, but will discard some of the holiday clothes that no longer fit, once I get the packing organised.

Hope you are keeping as well as you can.

Kathyx

harlin

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2010, 02:01:35 PM »
Kathyx
what cruise line are you taking. We went Carnival and had a blast. We went with 2 other couples. Make sure you see the fantastic shows they are awsome. We stayed up until about 1am and got up about 7. We didn't sleep much, to much to do. Is this your first cruise? I would like to take the disney cruise. Can't get my daughter to go  tho. Afraid of ships. Told her you don't know you are on a ship it is so big. Unreal. You will have a great time. Think of me.  :D
harlin

Chickpea

« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2010, 08:39:18 AM »
Kathy and Harlin - these cruises sound great.  I'd love to go on one and apparently they're brilliant for people in wheelchairs.  Not sure my husband would enjoy it much - too much fun and frivolity! 

Robin - your family sounds like ours.  We celebrate Chanukah and Christmas, plus both my sons have December birthdays.  Imagine the mess we live in that month!

Love to all - Chickpea