Author Topic: Dehydration - between a rock and a hard place  (Read 3864 times)

~elizabeth~

Dehydration - between a rock and a hard place
« on: November 10, 2009, 04:52:34 AM »
I'm at my wit's end with taking pilocarpine. I'm finding whole tablets do keep the thrush at bay, but am getting terrible side effect at the full dose. The sweating is a nuisance, but I think the real problem is dehydration it causes; when the dose wears off I feel more dry than before, plus added nausea, weakness, headache, thirst. Taking halves was bearable, but then the thrush started raging again, and I still had mild nausea/headache. I've had absolutely no appetite since starting, and really have to force myself to eat; just the thought of food makes me nauseous. I know it's early days, but the longer I take it, the more 'ill' I feel  :-[
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 04:57:24 AM by ~elizabeth~ »

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: Dehydration - between a rock and a hard place
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 05:48:25 AM »
Have you tried GentianViolet? The women in my family swear by it. (Wife, Mother, two Daughters)
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

ohiolady

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 06:52:38 AM »
Elizabeth,

Have you tried Evoxac?  It is the other saliva stimulating medicine.  For me it works better than pilocarpine.  I take it 3 times a day and spread my dosing out some.  I take one around 4:00 in the morning when I get up to go to the restroom.  I take the others at 11:00 am and 4:00 pm.  It may be worth a try to see if you like it better.  Of course, you can figure out your own dosing schedule.  This just happens to work for me.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

~elizabeth~

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 07:24:33 AM »
My rheumatologist didn't mention it, I'll ask her next time. Will have to just cut down on it.

Hadn't thought of Gentian Violet, we have some in a cupboard somewhere for treating the poultry. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into that.

~elizabeth~

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 08:02:51 AM »
Just found this on Salagen and GERD:

"Salagen would also be contraindicated for those with any sort of gastrointestinal problems. ?Parasympathomimetic drugs stimulate the gastrointestinal tract, so they can cause diarrhea and cramping,? he said. ?It should not be used in people with gastric reflux disease, ulcers or irritable bowel syndrome. It is contraindicated for anyone with gastrointestinal problems, particularly if he or she is taking an anticholinergic drug.?

http://www.edinburgh-eyetests.co.uk/Sjogrens.htm

Just to make me feel worse about it.

ohiolady

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 09:08:08 AM »
I've wondered about Evoxac and my horrible GERD.  If I take it with food, it does not work as well and I need all the help I can get in the saliva department.  It does get frustrating, doesn't it?  Well, I certainly commiserate.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

~elizabeth~

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 09:24:41 AM »
Immensely frustrating. :'(  And nothing specific about GERD as a side effect on the leaflet that came with it either, though it does mention Esophagitis, which can be a symptom of GERD.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 09:26:37 AM by ~elizabeth~ »

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 10:23:36 PM »
I took the Salogen for a long time and I also was taking medication for my reflux. I can't say that there was any issue with this. I also could not take the 10 mgm as it made me shaky and I sweat so bad I thought I would die. I finally ended up stopping the med for a few days and then started back dosing 2.5 mgm of the salogen and then after a week or so I upped it to 5 mgm and that is what I kept it at.

To help increase your saliva you can also suck on sugar free lemon drops or other candies that are sugar free and make you pucker or draw the saliva out. I also drink a lot of fluid and suck on ice a lot. I am wondering if you have looked over the type of foods you are eating as this could cause increase in the yeast. Also, after every meal might be wise to suck on puckery candy. Have you tried any of the other medications that are used for the Sjogrens. Meds like Cellcept or Imuran that slows the inflammatory process that is destroying your secreting glands. Good luck. Irish ;D

~elizabeth~

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 02:10:51 AM »
Thanks. I've actually cut down to quarter tabs, spaced out. Went most of yesterday without taking any, and to my joy, I found was some 'real' saliva back. Thick and horrible, but at least something.

Am waiting for blood tests before taking Plaquenil, as I guess it might alter the result, don't know how long it will take for the referral to go through the system.

I'll try the candies now that there's some saliva flow, they were making my tongue too sore last time. Wondering if part of the problem is the anaemia is making the mucosa more susceptible to infection? (I gave up on the iron supplements as they were causing severe cramping, and the constipation was resulting in rectal bleeding). Diet in recent weeks has been to eat iron-rich foods, so mostly variations on liver/potatoes etc, with little of fruit and veg we'd normally eat as it's felt too acidic. I'm guessing this may not have helped.