Author Topic: my eye's have 'star filters' - corneal scratches?  (Read 2085 times)

~elizabeth~

my eye's have 'star filters' - corneal scratches?
« on: November 06, 2009, 04:20:17 AM »
I noticed for year that if I look at a light sources, I experience something very like looking at a photograph taken with a star-burst filter. It's been like this so long, it hadn't occurred to me it might be significant.

Last week, my mother asked us if streetlights looked 'starry' to us. To me they do, but not my husband. Reading about corneal abrasion on this board, my husband suggested that the star-burst effect might be due to some sort of abrasion, as this is the way you make a star-burst filter for a camera, by making criss-crossed scratches on a lens. I've always found driving in the dark quite daunting, as I find the glare the streetlights/headlights quite uncomfortable, and the 'rays' that come from them very distracting.

JannaLee

Re: my eye's have 'star filters' - corneal scratches?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 06:13:38 AM »
I have that real bad!  I've had it since my teens.  Driving at night is near impossible and if it is raining I cannot do it at all.

Mine has been explained as due to dry eye.  But you should be checked for Glaucoma as it can cause that kind of thing too.

I you find out something about this, would you post it? 

Janna

Joy Cox

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 07:53:01 AM »
Suggestion: Have found after these last surgeries for cataracts that to put my polarized sunglasses on helps with glare.

Give it a try and please let me know if it works for you... Be nice to know I'm not the only one driving at night with sunglasses on.   ;D

JannaLee

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 10:14:14 AM »
Joy!

That is an excellent idea!!  I will try it for sure!

Janna