Author Topic: Severe Eye Pain at Night  (Read 3436 times)

DragonflyC

• Sjogren's Style
Severe Eye Pain at Night
« on: September 22, 2009, 10:34:29 AM »
I woke up in the middle of the night last night to severe pain in my eyes--like a pressure and stinging sensation, I think.  It was too severe to really be able to figure out the kind of pain.  The best I can do is to say that they really, really hurt. 

I grabbed my eye drops (the GenTeal night ones with the disappearing preservative), but that didn't do anything.  I flooded my eyes with the drops, which didn't really help at first either.  After a while, I fell back to sleep.  I was too sleepy to know if the pain went away or if I just crashed regardless of the pain.

When I woke up this morning, nothing was out of the ordinary.  My eyes were dry, of course, but my morning dose of Restasis didn't sting much and I'm not in any pain now beyond my usual slight discomfort. 

Has anyone had something similar happen?  Any thoughts about how best to deal with it if it happens again?  Any ideas on preventing it?  I use OTC drops regularly throughout the day and before bed, use Restasis twice a day (at least 15 min. apart from regular drops), take plaquenil, and evoxac (just once a day right now, as my new insurance doesn't kick in until next month, so I'm trying to stretch my supply--that stuff is expensive!).  I also take ibuprofen three times a day, including just before bed, and 3600 mg of fish oil.  The only other med is levoxyl for my Hashimoto's.

Fortunately, my husband was out of town last night.  I'm worried about waking him and keeping him from getting a good night's sleep, too.
SJS, Hashimoto's, Raynaud's
Plaquenil, Evoxac, Restasis, Levoxyl, fish oil supplements, Vitamin D, NSAIDs, prednisone when flaring
Tested positive for SS-A ( > 8 ) and ANA (>1:640)

Visit me at http://sjogrensstyle.com for ideas about living well despite autoimmune disease.

ohiolady

Re: Severe Eye Pain at Night
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 10:52:43 AM »
I've not experienced that and I have really dry eyes.  I guess you could see if it happens again.  If it does, you should definitely see your eye doctor.  Hope someone else can help you with this issue.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 59

karenboss

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 01:54:36 PM »
sometimes eye pain wakes me up but drops or a hot compress ease it enought to go back to sleep.  Glad is has passed.

Dolly Dimples

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 04:21:42 PM »
  Hi,
        I have read many times that anyone experiencing eye PAIN, should report this to the Doctor..

Mike B (who used to be on this site always stressed this in his posts!
                Eyes are precious , dont neglect them..
                                                                                 Dolly.

DragonflyC

• Sjogren's Style
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 04:54:50 PM »
Thanks, everyone.  I appreciate the feedback.  This site really is amazing (or, to be more specific, the people on it are).

Dolly, my husband said the same thing.  Thanks for kicking me in the tush about it--I live in a bit of denial about this illness sometimes and like to believe that things will just pass and disappear with time when really I need to let my doctors do their thing.
SJS, Hashimoto's, Raynaud's
Plaquenil, Evoxac, Restasis, Levoxyl, fish oil supplements, Vitamin D, NSAIDs, prednisone when flaring
Tested positive for SS-A ( > 8 ) and ANA (>1:640)

Visit me at http://sjogrensstyle.com for ideas about living well despite autoimmune disease.

eyeamdry

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 05:13:47 PM »
Sometimes I go to bed with a cool washcloth over my eyes.  It can help alot, although the pillow gets a little wet in the process.  Lucy

stillsguy

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 11:16:35 PM »
DragonflyC,

Ya, probably should tell at least ur opthalmologist about this sx, altho it's kinda hard to place it without knowing all ur other symps, and unusual 'eye pain' can sometime be a red herring, so....   

However, I frequently wake up with pain, and in many different parts of my face during the night. My cat has claim to a very significant jab, and when he wants 2b fed, i know exactly when, usually twice, every night. He's 18, has arthritis in his hips and spine but can still out run a flying pillow... but I will at least feed him once, most times twice... ya, I know, whipped....

wish u well