Author Topic: Do Hormones Cause Increased Symptons  (Read 4473 times)

Wynter

Do Hormones Cause Increased Symptons
« on: September 18, 2009, 07:48:59 AM »
Hi everyone:

I was just if anyone else experiences or has experienced increased symptons during specific times of their monthly cycle. Mine sypmptoms seem to get worse when the hormones fluctuate, like in the beginning and middle of the cycle. Some months are different than others.

Claire the Red

Re: Do Hormones Cause Increased Symptons
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 08:19:51 AM »
Hi Wynter, my symptoms are definitely on a monthly cycle. My doctor said this is common among Sjoggies. Things are always the worst right before my period. Especially the GI problems. That's when I am most likely to get stuck in the bed!

Also, I think my symptoms change with the seasons. I'd be curious if anyone else experiences this too. I remember that September last year was tough, and now I am basically going through a repeat of everything that happened last year. Of course my joints are acting up again with the onset of cooler weather.  :-\

Wynter

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 08:37:52 AM »
I am firguring out the same thing. Summer has been pretty good. Last winter, I had a really tough time with skin irritation and sensativity. Yesterday I started my period and my skin has been driving me crazy. I am wondering if it's the weather or hormones. If it clears up in the next few days, then I can blame it on hormones.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 08:52:18 AM »
Hi  :)

I think hormones can play a part because a lot of people get dxd round about menopause. So saying - men get SjS too and can't blame that on female hormones.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

wordnerd

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 01:31:50 AM »
Definitely!

My joint inflammation is much much worse right before my period each month.  Some months it causes my hip joints to swell so much it effects my whole pelvic wall.  The first time this happened I actually went to the gyno because I thought I had some horrible infection or something.  Nope.  Was just a ridiculous amount of inflammation in my hip joint and all the surrounding tissue from the Sjogren's. 

Birth control pills really helped stabilize this effect.

<3 Lauren

ohiolady

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 07:56:49 AM »
I had a rheumatologist tell me that her lupus and Sjogrens patients symptoms would calm down after menopause.  So, she evidently believed there was a strong component.

Anna
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 12:24:09 PM by ohiolady »
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

Katybarstool

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 11:51:44 AM »
That's interesting Anna, as lots of rheumies believe that the menoapuse can trigger SJS in some people.

Kathyx

ohiolady

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 12:25:33 PM »
Yes, trigger and when they are through, she said their symptoms would often calm down.  This was her opinion.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

BonusMom

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 01:46:05 PM »
If that's the case, BRING ON MENOPAUSE!

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 04:38:01 PM »
Hi  :)

I'm post menopausal. Symptoms flared at the onset of menopause. Hashimoto's thyroiditis raised its ugly head too. Things have gone downhill since then - not subsided. People are all different though.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

BonusMom

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 05:15:27 PM »
I was dx'ed with SjS and SLE 12/08.  My rheumy thinks I'm now peri-menopausal :(  it does make one wonder if it's somehow connected????

gurs

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 05:13:24 AM »
Oh lordy...wish my instant menopause eased my sjogrens and lupus symptoms..made them 1000 times worse. Now I have chronic neuropathy, joint pain, stomach/bladder issues, horrible systemic yeast, anxiety, hair loss, migraines, extreme dryness all over..allergies (allergic to everything now). I cant even function...been playing around with bio-hormones and doesnt seem to be helping, could actually be hurting. Some do better at menopause and some get worse from what Ive read. Ive just went through Rituxan and IVIG to try and calm things down, but only made me worse. My doc's dont even know what to do with me at this point. Its just a nightmare!!!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 05:20:23 AM by gurs »
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

BonusMom

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 08:59:53 AM »
gurs-
So sorry that you've struggled so much since your instant menopause.  How frustrating for you since you can't turn back the clock on hormones.  I hope you find some relief soon.

sneeebs

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 05:18:17 PM »
Hi.  I just posted a message asking that same question, among others.  I notice my symptoms (dry eyes, mouth, migraines, fatigue, dizziness) get worse before and during menstruation now.  I also have endometriosis, but that has improved since having a child a few years ago at 40 years old.  The dryness, though, has only gotten worse ... and the frequency of the headcaches.  I used to get alot of yeast infections too.  That has gotten better. I have been using phytoestrogen and progesterone creams to see if they help ... so far no diff.  I just hope this headache will subside! 

Patze

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 03:18:58 PM »
Oh boy, I sure can agree with y'all!  In the early days, yes, it got a lot worse just prior to the start, otherwise, since I'm pretty much through it, it's miserable and on it's own "cycle" now!   ;) ::)  

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen