Author Topic: Can't afford restasis  (Read 9596 times)

darlintxmomma

Can't afford restasis
« on: September 04, 2009, 06:27:05 PM »
I'm wondering if anybody has found a generic version of restasis or found a mail order pharmacy that is cheaper than getting it at walgreens.
I FINALLY saw a rheumy for the first time last week and she rx'd me restasis and the flector patch for pain (she suspects ankylosing spondylitis).
so i go to pick them up today and the restasis (for 2 boxes which is how she wrote my rx) was $65. *GASP* The flector patch was $42 on its own. I cannot afford that and probably wont be refilling the flector either, but I really need the restasis because my eyes get painfully dry. Today was payday and if i had picked up both rx's, we would have NO money left to buy food for the next 2 weeks since hubby still has to fill his truck to get him to and from work.
Where can I get it cheaper, or get a generic equivalent???
thanks

SueAnn

Re: Can't afford restasis
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 07:13:39 PM »
I know that the Restasis is expensive, but I can get two days out of 1 dosage vile.  I was told that it will keep in the fridge up to 48 hrs, so I am just really careful with it.  It lasts a long time that way.  I think if you search the boards this issue has come up many times.  I don't know about the patch, but I am sure someone will have some input.

Have a great weekend!

SueAnn 
Sjs
Cellcept, Plaquenil, Evoxac, Prednisone, Restasis, and Tramadol.
SAM-e, calcium, Vit D3
Female - 52

Patze

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 07:13:47 PM »
Hi darlintxmomma,

Have you talked to the pharmacist to see if there is a generic equivalent?  I'd also goggle the manufacturing website and see if they have an assistance program, a lot of medicine companies do now a days.  

Hang in there and keep us updated, okay?

Take care -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

ohiolady

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 07:39:18 PM »
My opthamologist said I can get multiple doses out of one vial.  This lowers the cost tremedously.  You could theoretically get 3 to 4 months out of those two boxes.  I do not believe there is a generic for Restasis, it has not been around that long.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 58

ruby52

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 07:45:20 PM »
My opthamologist asked if I was using one vial and throwing it away and I told him no.He smiled and said good,you can use one vial for several days.I'm pretty sure there is no generic.
                                                                      Ruby

darlintxmomma

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 07:57:40 PM »
well im glad to know that i can use it more than once. thats a relief....now i just gotta crap out the fundage to actually make the initial purchase. thats my problem.  :-\

Epson

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 10:26:05 PM »
Maybe you can get it from a Canadian or Mexican pharmacy, those countries have laws that prohibit the kind of price gouging that we have in this country.  Some drugs are half the price and they are made in the USA, go figure.
To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!  Homer................Simpson

voiceteacher

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 11:18:21 PM »
Sometimes you can find a doctor who will keep you filled with samples if you really can't afford the meds - I know that what some of my friends do for their patients.

Voiceteacher

ErinG

• erbegu's journal
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 10:47:12 AM »
Hi Darlin,

I know what you mean about Restasis being expensive.  When my optho first prescribed it for me I didn't have insurance and one box cost over $100.  I have insurance now and it's only a $25 co-pay each month, but it adds up.  If you go to the Restasis website they have the "My tears My rewards" program that gives you rebates to apply to your purchase of Restasis.  Also, have you looked into mail order pharmacy?  Oftentimes you can get 90 days worth of medication for a lower price, but it means paying more up-front.  Luckily you can get more  than a month's worth out of one prescription.  Good luck!
Female, Age 32 - full-time accountant
Diagnoses: Primary Sjogren's, Raynaud's, Distal RTA, Stage 3 Chronic Kidney Disease, Interstitial Nephritis
Meds:  Plaquenil, Cellcept, Urocit-K, hydrochlorothiazide, potassium chloride, Restasis

DragonflyC

• Sjogren's Style
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 10:53:59 AM »
Just be careful about starting Restasis if you aren't sure that you can afford to purchase it regularly.  I hear that once your eyes get adjusted to it, going off of it can be a rather difficult process.  In fact, my eye doc simply said, "Once you start it, you need to be on it forever."

Stopping Restasis creates a rebound effect that leaves your eyes VERY dry and uncomfortable.  I have a friend who was on it for allergies and stopped after a while.  She said that going off of it was terrible.  You may be better off sticking with non-prescription eye drops if you have concerns about keeping up with Restasis.

I do agree with everyone that one box can easily last a month (or even a little more--my insurance for my new job doesn't kick in until next month, and I intend to really make the box I have stretch). 

Also, not to continue being a down-er, but you should also know that Restasis doesn't work for everyone.  It helps some people a lot, some a little, and some not at all.  I receive some relief from it, but not much.
SJS, Hashimoto's, Raynaud's
Plaquenil, Evoxac, Restasis, Levoxyl, fish oil supplements, Vitamin D, NSAIDs, prednisone when flaring
Tested positive for SS-A ( > 8 ) and ANA (>1:640)

Visit me at http://sjogrensstyle.com for ideas about living well despite autoimmune disease.

darlintxmomma

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 10:59:51 AM »
I know our insurance offers mail order. I'll have to look into that.
I saw the rebate thing on their website. I'll definately be taking advantage of that once I can get started on it.
I see the opthamologist on the 27th. maybe he'll have some samples.

Erin, I'm gonna definately keep up on my cheapo eye drops until i know if im gonna get it...good to  be warned of the rough weaning phase just in case.

i do want to give it a try i just didnt have a clue it was this freaking expensive. now that i konw and if i can afford to get started, i will be able to budget for it and i shouldnt run into this issue again. it was just the initial price shock that really got me. i still dont know if im gonna be able to get started on it or not for a while. maybe hubby will go sell some plasma for me or soemthing. lol

lynnmarie219

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 12:27:52 PM »
Hi!

IM another one whose ophthalmologist told me to use the vials for more than one day...in fact the company has a little blue vial holder to hold them upright while open...I just cover it with a clean glass...so far its worked for me for quite a while...so it really stretches out the use of the box!

If you do decide to start using Restasis...I wish you good luck...I have used it for awhile and feel it Ash truly helped me!

Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane"   Jimmy Buffett

Bernice

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 07:12:51 PM »
Chick,

I am glad you mentioned about starting and stopping Ras my doctor offered to give me a PX I told him NO, because I don't need it, I don't really have a problem with dry eyes or mouth I don't really use over the counter meds. so why would I start this? He told me he used it for about two months then stopped, BUT never said ANYTHING about a problem with this! I am just so glad I did NOT because it sounds like I would have been in WORST shape than I am!
So I am very grateful to know I made the right choice. I really try not to do things or take meds. just because they are the norm for SJS. I try to ONLY take what I need! And right now that is very little med. We have to be careful, I truly believe this.

Bernice

Jules48cats

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 08:10:49 PM »
Check with your 800 number on the back of your prescription card.  I have health assurance and they deal with caremark.  When I started on Restatis it was $55. for one package. And even using it sparingly and refrigerating, it only lasted a little over a month.  I called and found that I could get a three month supply for only $110.00.  When they ship it I get 6 packs and can make it last 6 months.  You said you get pain patches too.  I get the lidoderm patch's.  3 month supply  that includes 5 boxes for $65.00.  Pharmacy cost was $45 for 1 box.  You just need to get a three month prescription from your doctor and then mail it in to the pharmacy. 
Sorry but what is  ankylosing spondylitis.  I am not familiar with that.   
My eye doctor gave me a little holder to put the restatis in.  It keeps it upright so the tip doesn't get contaminated, and I can get 2 or 3 doses from one vial. 
Jules
58 year old female with RA, SJS, Anemia, Gerd, Hiatial Hernia, Both knees replaced, have foot drop and neuropathy in the right leg. Sleep Apnea,& Spinal Stenosis.  Medications: tears Restasis, Erythimycin Eye ointment, Zoloft, Rituxan, Protonix, Plavix, Azlufadine, Losartan & Zantac.