Author Topic: Dizziness...Is it a part of Sjogren's?  (Read 4324 times)

Gail

Dizziness...Is it a part of Sjogren's?
« on: September 01, 2009, 08:47:30 PM »
 I have been experiencing constant low-grade dizziness lately. It is not like a disabling dizziness with vomiting and diarrhea, but I feel that I am in constant movement all the time. I feel like my body is spinning in slow circles. I do not know if it could be a symptom of SjS? I got this about a month ago. I also got a terrible brain fog. I was at the grocery store today, and when I was paying for the groceries, I started feeling that I cannot even understand what I was doing. Just used my debit card automatically. I was like a robot remembering a familiar task. It was scary! I got to my car and started driving , but the brain for did not live me, I was driving home without realizing where I was going.

Another thing about my dizziness...I feel dizzy even more when I am lying down on my pillow. I feel constant pressure at the back of my head like somebody pushing me there. Is anybody related to this type of constant dizziness? Even in bed, even in the morning...Headache and dizziness...

The room is not spinning. It is me that is spinning slightly.

Gail.

Bernice

Re: Dizziness...Is it a part of Sjogren's?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 09:44:07 PM »
Gail,

I don't necessarily spin as much as have sensations of things moving. like sometimes when I stop my car I can't tell if it has really stopped.

This brain fog thing is a whole nother thang, ain't it?? Boy ya talk about being spaced out. I can only imagine what I must look like to the people around me. I bet disrupted would be the kindest way of describing it! ::) :) My sister swears I got this thing of spinning in a circle once when I get really nervous or overly excited. I hate for her to tease me with that one, didn't believe it until my husband confirmed it! :o >:( So on those real fogged out days I try my best to stay out of the public's view! I am doing so much better lately, almost feel "normal" though I still don't chance it by volunteering to speak out unnecessarily! Hate group conferences, too many to keep up with. And recording church minutes during business meetings when the entire church is present and speaking, that's a whole nother topic in itself, believe me! But I manage with video recordings!

Bernice

Helen

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 07:02:29 AM »
Gail,

I get dizziness too.  I always thought it was from the sinus infections (I get all the time).  Please don't tell me that is from sjs. I agree with Bernice, I don't spin, I just feel the sensations of things moving or that I cant keep my balance.

The brain fog is the pits!!!  You really feel like you are loosing your mind.  Did that really happen?  How come I can't remember that?  The strange looks from the people around you because you just said something that must not of made any sense to them.  You begin to feel very insecure in you mind and body.  The worst is when my husband will tell me about something and say you remember when this or that happened, and I really don't have a clue about what he is talking about.  It really scares the heck out of me, (him too).  Then, other days, I am fine and can remember things.  I hate this sooooo much.

Helen

ruby52

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 07:40:36 AM »
I'm off balance alot especially with the lighting in bigger stores.I get vertigo often and sometimes don't know it's come on until I lay back in bed and the room spins.I think I understand the feeling your describing though which is different and very weird.Yours sounds very severe and I think you should get it checked out.
                                                Ruby

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 10:09:50 AM »
Hi Gail  :)

Please go and see your doctor about this. Dizziness can be a part of SjS but it can be a lot of other things too. It can be to do with your ears, your brain, your blood pressure, your medications or your thyroid to name just a few.

Having SjS doesn't stop us getting other stuff and only a doctor can get to the bottom of various symptoms.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Gail

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 12:51:20 PM »
Thank you for sharing and understanding,

I do not take any meds at this point. It has been 2 weeks since I quit taking Salagen. I think it was drying me worse than I already was. So, right now I am taking just my regular vitamins: multi, E, B complex, and Fish Oil.

I have been to neurologist and ENT doctors recently, but they do not know the cause of my dizziness. I discribed my dizziness to them like I discribed to you, but they have no clue.

My dizziness started after MMR vaccine, but it has been more then a month and I am still feeling fatigue and dizziness, headache and brain fog. I guess I have to go back to my GP again. What a circle. No ending to this!

I also started having joint and muscle pain 2 weeks after MMR vaccine.

I know that the vaccine was the start, but I may have had an underlying condition prior the vaccine, just did not know about it.

I was always sensitive to any meds, especially antibiotics, and they always made me so sick. I've experienced bad side effects from any proscription meds that I took in the past.

Some folks on this site said in the past that people with autoimmune disease have sensitivities to a lot of things like drugs and food.

It just makes me mad that I cannot get the doctors give me diagnosis.

Maybe I should be starting another thread about it, but so many people already talked about it.

I am just one of the bunch.

I am just trying to let it all out.

Sorry and thank you for reading my post,
Gail.

TerriJ

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 02:36:08 PM »
One of the first symptoms I had besides dry eyes, was dizziness.  I still struggle with it some.  It doesn't seem to matter if I'm sitting, standing, walking or whatever.  I can be sitting and watching tv and I will have a wave of this feeling even without moving.  It doesn't feel like the room is spinning.  I suppose it's just an off balance feeling.  Sometimes I vaguely feel like I'm going to fall over.  I have also had the feeling of the car moving even after it's stopped. 

Terri

Dotty

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 10:55:08 PM »
I have had the same weird dizziness as well. It was one of my first symptoms.  I was in the grocery store and the bright lights and tall, narrow shelves just sent me over the edge -- if it hadn't been for hanging on to the grocery cart I wouldn't have made it out of there. It kind of varies in intensity now; sometimes I don't notice it at all. Like the brain fog - some days I'm great, other days I feel like maybe I should commit myself!!

Billydude

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 12:20:00 AM »
I also get that weird back of the head pressure and dizzy feeling.   I've been to neurologistist and neuro surgeons and been studied for it.  I've had EEG's and MRI's and nothing shows up.   It was explained to me that I have cranial neuropathy which is similiar to trigeminal neuropathy.    I think it just might be one of the strange little neuropathies we get.   

SonyaR

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 04:39:46 AM »
Was only dx with SjS in April 09 but had my 1st bout of vertigo in October of 05.  It was so bad that I was off work for a week.  Went to the emergency room the morning it started because I couldn't even walk unassisted due to the spinning sensation.  They ran all kinds of tests and could not find any specific cause for the dizziness.  Since then it has not come back quite as severe but I still have days where I am unable to go to work due to it.  I have found that if I lay down and make myself relax and take it easy for at least a few hours the episodes aren't as bad or as long lasting.

Nancy5217

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 10:34:43 AM »
I also suffer from some dizziness. I have to say it was really really bad when I took the salgren (sp?) for the dryness in the mouth. I actually woke at night seeing the room spin. Now that was scarey. I feel your pain believe me I just want my life back even tho I know that ain't happening.

missyb

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 10:39:28 AM »
I suffer from vertigo at times, and I often feel as though I just got off a boat, if you know that feeling. Where you can walk and stuff but you still feel like your kinda drifting. Don't know exactly why yet. But I do know that sjs can affect the brain cells, so how is your fluid intake?

Gail

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 01:26:52 PM »
Hi, folks,

Thank you for sharing you dizzy experience. I do have some kind of virtigo that some people are discribing here. Like I am on the boat. Kind of floating sensations. I do drink plenty of water. I do not think that I am dehydrated. I do believe that the MMR vaccine and all viruses caused it because virus can cause dizziness, I think. I also think that viruses can affect the nerves in the head, neck and back. What do you think?

I am so sick of it. I will beat it sooner or later.

I wonder why the docs that I've seen cannot admit that the vaccine may cause it? I was not dizzy before the vaccine. I was dry and fatigued but not dizzy. And I did not have joint and muscle pain before the vaccine.

Did anybody's dizziness disappear or got better over the period of time?

Gail.

Gail.

Babs659

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 07:20:33 PM »
Missy, that's exactly right---just like when you step off a boat.  I get all wobbly and my heads feels woozy, and I can't walk very fast.  This was my worst symptom and was very scary to me, as well as my husband.
Gail, mine got a lot better with the Plaquenil and, especially, prednisolone.
Hope it eases up soon---mine did.  The rheumy insists it's the Sjs---had all the other tests done......

Billydude

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 08:49:08 PM »
Gail,  many of the weird symptoms we get come and go.   I can go for quite awhile without feeling it then suddenly I'm getting it frequently.