Author Topic: Unstable ankles  (Read 1889 times)

jaygee

Unstable ankles
« on: July 08, 2009, 01:20:48 PM »
I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else.  I love asking you guys about stuff!

Anyway, symptom no. 608  ;D

I have really "unstable" ankles.  I don't know how better to describe this.  I will be walking, or get up from a chair and without warning either ankle will just give way.  This can be barefoot or with shoes.  Basically, the foot goes onto it's side, always the outside edge and I nearly fall over.  Amazingly, this doesn't cause me to sprain my ankle, and it doesn't actually hurt - but it is really embarassing when it happens, as I almost or actually fall!!!  ::)

Some days it can happen a lot, then I can go weeks without it happening.  Also it seems that if I tread on something the size of a grain of rice, it's enough to topple me over!   So, anyone else get this?

harrigan

Re: Unstable ankles
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 01:27:12 PM »
I'm definitely with you on the stepping on things issue JG!  I can fall or stumble over anything these days, and especially things that I THINK are there, but aren't!  Try explaining that to people!  Wish I wasn't so clumsy.  My feet are very sensitive too - standing on anything unexpected, like a pen on the floor, sens shooting pains up my feet and legs.

I have no answers JG, but I certainly empathise with you!  XX Ailsa
Female, 54
Diagnosed with Sjogrens March 09; Rheumatoid Arthritis February 2010
Meds: abatacept, Methotrexate injections , Folic Acid, Amitriptyline, Ozepramole, Tramacet, Glandosane & Viscotears.

Jules48cats

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 07:36:48 PM »
Hi Jaygee
I had something similar happen.  I thought it was from a fall that happened in 2003.  After that I had trouble walking on any uneven ground and would fall very easily.  Very embarrassing.  In 2005 I had a right knee replacement. 
they found my ACL was torn and put me in an immobilizer for 8 weeks.  When I was doing rehab, I told the therapist that my foot was crooked, she said it would straighten out.  By 2006 I was losing the feeling in my right foot and falling all the time.  I had an EMG done and found that I had foot drop, with peripheral Neuropathy. 
Is it drop foot or foot drop?  I get confused!  Now I wear a leg brace that fits in my shoe. It is a pain in the bum because you have to buy shoes a size bigger and they have to be wide to fit the brace into.   But I don't fall over anymore, unless I trip over something.   Anyway you might want to ask your doctor about foot drop syndrome, Maybe if they catch it early they can treat it.   Good luck. 

seren

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 05:28:12 PM »
Hi..yes JayGee, I get this too.

I was sent for physio and they diagnosed weak ankles, apparently almost to the point I was hypermobile but not quite. ::)

I had exercises for it and they have helped a bit (when I do them  ;D) but I find it particularly troublesome on uneven ground.  I have a big garden and there are some pot holes on the way down to the washing line...well I have landed up on the grass on my a*** a few times  :o  :D

I think ankle strengthening exercises will definitely help you!

Paula   

Wynter

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 06:43:31 AM »
I have this problem from time to time. I will be walking and the ankle just gives away. I don't fall, just kind of trip. It's very embarrassing. I been told be a physical therapist and 2 rheumies that my joints are loose.