Author Topic: Tingling and Numbness with difficulty focusing & concentrating  (Read 4656 times)

dbab

I've been having these issues for months now and its concerning me.  Sometimes out of nowhere and not provoked by anything, my whole body will start tingling and sometimes I feel numb.  My brain will cease to function properly and my concentration goes out the window.  My focus is really off speaking in terms of my vision.  This will last a few minutes and then I am extremely fatigued afterward.

I'm so frustrated and I know that with these vague symptoms, I am preparing for a long battle ahead of me.  Don't expect anyone to know what this is but if you have similar issues and have been told what it is, please let me know.  I just want some kind of idea what I'm dealing with.

I'm still trying to find a Neuro.  I'm having trouble with that at the moment.

lesmom

Re: Tingling and Numbness with difficulty focusing & concentrating
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 12:50:37 PM »
I've been fighting similar things. I have the majority of numbness and tingling on my right side, but my left side is still affected. The pain is consitant and the best way I can describe it to people is it feel likes when your arm or leg falls asleep and that sensation you get as it is waking up- pins and needles, numbness- that is what I feel all the time. My eyes got so bad with my focus and blurry vision I finally went to the opthamologist and that is where I was dx with SJS. A year ago I had my 1st appointment with the neuro. At the time they suspected MS because of all of my symptoms, but the MRI came back clean. Now finally knowing that it is SJS and the symptoms mimic MS I feel better by never getting an answer from the neuro. The neuro did dx my Raynauds, but never bothered to tell me. My PCP who's an internist read it in my report 2 months after my 2nd appoint with the neuro and 2nd MRI to look for changes. It is soooo frustrating not knowing. I scheduled my appointment with the rheumy 4 months ago. I finally get to see her on the 29th. My concern- if she looks at all of my symptoms and medical history and says "this isn't what you have at all."
As far as the concentrating- that goes out the window when I don't feel good or I'm really tired. I try to take it in stride. I told my boss whats going on. Thank goodness he's so very understanding. I work full time and have 3 young boys. There are times I just go home after work and take a nap and then try and get going again.
I hope you can get answers soon, but be ready that it might take a bit a a few different doctors to figure it out.
Hang in there,
Leslie

paperdoll

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 12:59:43 PM »
Hi dbab,

It breaks my heart that we are so scared.  You aren't alone hon.

It may be good to call neurapathy.org and find some in your area - I did.

We can ask for copies of our records - which I intend to do.  We should all have the medic alert bracelets that even have a flash drive and our latestest symptoms and doctor visits
printed and placed in a plastic bag or sleeve just in case!

- not that we will get worse but we'd do it for our kids.... or loved ones, why not ourselves?

big hugs,
p

Poochie

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 02:05:29 PM »
Hi dbab,
Do you have a good rheumy?  If you do, ask him/her who they would send their family member too.  This is how I acquired the great team of doctor's that I have.  This system hasn't failed me yet.  I figured if he wouldn't send his wife or daughter to a certain doctor, I sure didn't want them either. 

I hope you get a handle on this, it's really scarey.  I'm not trying to dx your problem, but it sounds like your autonomic nervous system is shorting out on you.  I know when mine goes whacko, I feel like I could sleep forever, if it wasn't for the tingling and numbness.  I had a bout with this the night before last in my legs and hips.  I felt as though a insect was stinging me in my legs every few minutes.  I would just get comfortable, when "zap" another one would hit. 

I wish I could tell you all what to do about this, but if I knew I would do it myself also. 

Hang in there and try to find that neuro.

Hugs, Pooh

TerriJ

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 10:19:37 PM »
Hi dbab,

I don't know if what I experience is comparable, but maybe a little.  I have what I call "episodes."  I don't necessarily feel numbness, it is more cognitive.  I can barely function and sometimes it almost feels as though I'm going to wig out.  I wonder if it is like a seizure or something.  It's pretty scary.  I can barely make my arms and legs do what I want them to do.

I have had 2 brain MRI's that were clean, so the neuros I've seen just shake their heads.  I wish they could experience what I experience.  Believe me they'd be finding answers fast.

Terri

Jack

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 03:21:53 AM »
Two weeks ago my friend knocked on my door in the morning while I was asleep.  I got right up and went to the door and I noticed my fingers and toes were tingling and numb.  I felt like I couldn't really focus or think clearly and I had very much difficulty speaking.  My friend noticed and asked me what was wrong.  It took over an hr. to get myself sort of together and then the rest of the day I slept.  This episode was not from waking up quickly and feeling a little groggy...this was some kind of problem.  My friend said she thought I was having a stroke.  This prompted me to see the neuro and he's ordering tests. I have noticed lately that I'm having difficulty getting my words out and I'm forgetting words mid-sentence.  At the neuro's appt. I just started blurting out my symptoms and he threw his hands up and said...wait you're all over the place.  I got scared and apologized, he finally realized that I'm sick and also anxious and frustrated.  Let's hope he can get to the bottom of this.  I'm throughly convinced without a doubt that I have suffered for over 25 yrs. with SJS.  All of my problems have progressed slowly over the years.

Babs659

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 05:50:09 AM »
I have a humble theory about all of this.  I also experience numbness, tingling, brain fog, and periods of confusion accompanied by an anxious feeling.  I, too, had a negative brain MRI.

First of all, I firmly believe this is Sjs related.  I don't care what anybody says.  After hearing of this symptom over and over on these boards, it's got to be.  For example, neither my co-workers, friends nor my husband have this problem!

Second, I believe there is a psychological component at play, too.  I have been paying close attention to how I feel.  It may start with feeling a bit off.  My husband will look concerned and point out something really ditzy that I just said or did.  This is usually followed by an exacerbation of my symptoms.  In other words, when I sense (or someone points out) that I am having neuro symptoms, my anxiety amplifies everything.  Pretty soon I feel like I can't make my limbs work right and like I might faint.  My brain really goes on vacation.

What I have tried to do is focus on something else.  I replace worrying about myself with positive thoughts, like "I'm okay now."  If I'm walking and I feel like my legs are going to give out,  I refuse to stop---I push myself to keep walking, saying to myself, "I'm okay."  Soon, I start to feel better.  Meditation also helps a lot.

I'm not saying this will work for everyone, and neuro symptoms should definitely be investigated.  Maybe this will be helpful to just one other person, and that's a good thing!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 06:02:11 AM by Babs659 »

Billydude

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 08:11:02 AM »
We all certainly have our own recipies of symptoms.   I don't get the tingling in the whole body but get in in the back of my head accompanied with some confusion.    It feels like I had a shot of novocaine from the dentist in the back of my head.

jaygee

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 02:13:33 PM »
I get random, numb patches.  Today it felt as if there was someone's hand on my left knee and in the small of my back.  No pain, no nothing, just kind of numb  ::)

Driving home the other night, my entire chin was numb.  This is just weird, isn't it ???

Chickpea

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 02:40:44 PM »
Hi Jack, Babs, Jaygee and everyone!

I hope you're all keeping symptom diaries and writing down everything, even if you can't see connections right now.  I can understand Babs' comment about stress but I think most of us tend to underestimate and downplay the severity of our symptoms, just so we aren't 'making a fuss'.  Of course most doctors don't help us take it seriously either, except for the few 'keepers'.

I've had a series of 'episodes' aka mini strokes for years now but it wasn't until I started keeping a symptom diary - notes on one side of my daily diary - that I noticed connections between the episodes and new symptoms developing.  Like Jack I'll have increased numbness in one area - toes or hands or one side of my face - then I'll faint or suddenly fall asleep.  Sometimes the whole thing is heralded with a severe headache.  Hours or days later I'll notice that a new area is numb or not functioning as well as it had been.  The left side of my face, tongue and throat were affected by an episode in summer 2008; right side exactly the same last summer; this February it was my right arm and leg which resulted in me having a major fall.  Sometimes I'll get a partial recovery which is wonderful, but I try not to expect it.

My rheumy says it's all due to the cns involvement with SjS; my neuro isn't convinced and is looking for other answers including vasculitis.

I think Jaygee is right - this is 'just weird'!

Thinking of you all - Chickpea

ps by the way, does anyone get cold sweats on their faces and heads?  My hair can go from dry to shower-wet just from a cold sweat.  At the moment my nose is constantly cold and damp - not very attractive I can tell you!

jaygee

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 03:35:13 PM »
I daren't mention any new symptoms  ::).  The doc thinks this is just my menopause, the the rheumy said it was purely sicca syndrome.  If anything gets worse, I will go back, though.   xx

Chickpea

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 03:40:03 PM »
Hi jaygee

If this is 'just' the menopause you should make the medical textbooks!

Chickpea xxx

jaygee

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 03:47:08 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D     xx

Patze

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 08:51:01 PM »
Chickpea, you are too funny!!! ;) :D ;D

I know what you mean about the weird numbness, I've asked the neuro about this and she said that I'm in the "gray area" of medicine, and she doesn't know what is causing my dizziness, numbness, yadda, yadda, yadda yet either.

Ah, Jaygee, what in the world is the doc thinking (drinking, or smoking?  And where can we get some of that?)?  

Yeah, I had a doctor like that (an endo).  He would run a ton of hormone tests every single time I saw him to prove that I was in menopause (and always pointed it out on the result page so I wouldn't "miss" it), and that was the reason I felt so miserable (instead of trying to get to the bottom of things - guess he wanted the easy way out ::); it's funny, the GYN said the same thing about the other doctor).  Uh huh, yep, right; found a new endo.

And you're so right, this is just plain weird! ;)

Patze
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 08:54:51 PM by Patze »
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

gurs

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 07:18:46 AM »
I think its the hormone inbalance....I have the chronic neuropathy all over my body, from head to toe..so dizzy, I can barely get out of bed anymore. My stomach doesnt
move either (gastroparesis) and I have horrible aura migraines as well.  This all started shortly after my total hysterectomy and and I went right to menopause. Im not sure
if its the sjogrens/lupus just flaring up a storm, or just the lack of estrogen. I use a bio-estrogen cream, and not sure if its making me worse.  I finished a round of Rituxan two months ago
and actually Im feeling worse than ever.

I had all the MRI's as well, and nothing shows? go figure? Seems alot of us having this problem are all middle-aged menopausal? Uhmmmm,
def sounds hormonal to me.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 07:28:36 AM by gurs »
50 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements