Author Topic: pet allergy triggers severe flare  (Read 1342 times)

Helene

pet allergy triggers severe flare
« on: September 21, 2013, 11:11:13 AM »
I've written a bit about this before, but the problem just gets worse. I am severely allergic to dogs (and cats) and I live in California where they are liberalizing rules that exclude dogs from grocery stores, restaurants and other places. Yesterday I went to my doctor's office and while I was there I started feeling dizzy, chilled and slightly faint. I recognize that as a first sign of an allergy attack. It turned out that there had been a dog in the waiting room and office some days earlier. In this case it was a guide dog (obviously it's owner had every right to bring his dog). By the time I got home, I was feeling faint and beginning to itch all over and collapsed on my bed for the rest of the day. I just don't know what to do. I get annoyed at people bringing little lap dogs with them and claiming that they are service dogs, but of course some are service dogs. It's not a matter of fairness, though it is hurtful that people will start lecturing me on the rights of cats and dogs and their owners and ignore the fact that one exposure can wipe me out for weeks or months. I wasn't able to accompany my best friend when she got chemo because they allowed "comfort" dogs and the one time I was there I got sicker than she did with the chemo. I'm going to talk to an allergist about shots, but I am afraid that my allergy is too severe for even the smallest amount of allergens. (I can't get patch tests for that reason).

I realize I'm caught in a vicious circle- allergies set off my auto-immune response that turns into a Sjogren's flare and I have a cascade effect.

I'm stumped about how to live my life.
73, Sjogrens, hypothyroid, multiple allergies, osteoarthritis,, cvid. Plaquinil, Synthroid, Zyrtec, Naproxen, Prozac, Cymbalta, Ambien, Vit D, B12, C, Fish Oil, Pancreatin; prn Tramadol.

slccom

Re: pet allergy triggers severe flare
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »
Ask to see if it is possible to get desensitizing treatment. I hope so; that is miserable!

Sharon

finallyadx

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 05:20:20 AM »
So sorry to hear about your flare and your dilemna - that is a tough one.  I would agree - you should see you allergist to see if there are medications you can try to densensitize yourself and have him/her work with your rheumatologist.  I am finding allergies play a role in how the sjogrens affects me - weather especially but environmental allergies too.

Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way - hoping you find some relief.
Primary ss dx 2013, plaquenil, vitamin d, iron supplements, vitamin b12, d-mannose for chronic UTI's, magnesium for heart palpatations and Zinc

Suslew

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 08:57:03 AM »
I had densensitizing antigen shots for cats and dogs.  kept up the injections for 5 years, 2 a week for a while, then 1 a week, you work your way to one a month- very slowly.

If I walked into a pet home, I would be sick within 15 minutes, Even if I didn't see it.  And stay that way for 2 days.  Drugs were not helpful getting this kind of attack to settle down. 

Now I have no cat allergy.  And no dog allergy.

I highly recommend it. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:58:40 AM by Suslew »

Helene

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 11:44:37 AM »
Thanks so much for your replies. I made an appointment with a good allergist, and I'll see if I can tolerate shots. I would do anything to get over this before I become totally housebound.
73, Sjogrens, hypothyroid, multiple allergies, osteoarthritis,, cvid. Plaquinil, Synthroid, Zyrtec, Naproxen, Prozac, Cymbalta, Ambien, Vit D, B12, C, Fish Oil, Pancreatin; prn Tramadol.