Author Topic: Evoxac or salagen?  (Read 18162 times)

man-with-sjogrens

Evoxac or salagen?
« on: July 07, 2009, 03:01:49 PM »
Hi --

I've been on salagen (pilocarpine) and (despite some nausea) find it quite helpful.

For those who have been on both, how does it compare to Evoxac?

I have insurance and can get Evoxac (which i gather isn't generic) for $50 a month (versus $10 for generic pilocarpine).

Is it significantly better?  Three times a day dosing seems nice....

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: Evoxac or salagen?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 03:58:52 PM »
Hi man  :)

from what I've read in here Salagen suits some and Evoxac suits others and some people seem to have a few months on one and then a few months on the other. I haven't actually tried either, so can't comment from experience. It seems to be an individual decision though.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

ohiolady

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 04:43:54 PM »
I tried Salagen first and had trouble with it raising my heart rate which is a possible side effect.  I switched to Evoxac and it has been a life saver for me.  I think both are good and Salagen is cheaper so it just depends on which works best for you.  Why not try both for maybe two months each and compare.  Evoxac seems to last a little longer.  I take it 3 times a day.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

lurkernomore

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 06:53:22 PM »
I also tried Salagen (I was on the generic form) and had to come off it quickly, as I already take Digoxin for SVT. I was waking up with my heart pounding so hard that I could feel the soreness clear through to my back. I thought I could make it without either, now that I am back on Plaquenil. But I am either too impatient or it isn't working quickly enough. My mouth is dry as the desert and my tongue is a cracked, icky mess. (Yeahhh, sexy, I know, sorry if that was TMI.)

I am pretty sure I will ask my rheumy about the other option the next visit I have with him. That is, if I can stand this dryness until September.

lynnmarie219

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 07:31:36 PM »
Hi!

Ive been on both Salagen and Evoxac....for me the salagen works much better but like Scottie says it is a very individual thing. The Evoxac did nothing for me but the Salagen works very fast and I can take up to 5 a day as needed per my rheumy..so it gives me some freedom to take it when and if I need it!

eyeamdry

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 09:00:18 PM »
I'm not sold on either of these drugs.  I tried generic Salagen.  It works quickly, as in if you take one and go to sleep, you might choke on your excess saliva.  And slobber on your pillow.  If I know I am going to be out in public and speaking with others, I might take one before I leave home.  It does not last long, about an hour.  It's a pain taking them all the time.  They are cheap with my insurance.

I recently asked for an RX for Evozac  and I had to pay almost $100 out of pocket with insurance.  That was enough for me not to like it.  I noticed it made me have hot flashes and night sweats, but I have not taken it as directed and this might go away if I took it for awhile.  I pay so much for my RX's the Evozac is one I can drop and not hurt anything because of the cost.  I have to pay $87 for Lyrica, but that's worth it.  Good luck with which ever one you choose.  Lucy

ohiolady

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 08:52:10 AM »
I was rereading this post and thought Lucy brings something to light.  It depends on how bad you need  the medication.  Lucy needs Lyrica to get through the pain she has to deal with.  I needed Evoxac or Salagen so badly that it far out weighed the side effects.  In the beginning, I sweat so bad on Evoxac that I would literally be soaking wet.  If I had any choice in the matter, I would have stopped med ASAP.  But, when you can't swallow food and an oral surgeon tells you he hadn't seen a mouth ulcer as bad as mine, it is mandatory to get some moisture in your mouth.  

I think it is interesting how differently this disease affects each of us.  

Anna
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 10:24:38 AM by ohiolady »
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   

joschwartz

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 11:32:07 AM »
How long does Salagen take to work?  I'm pretty drug sensitive so my doctor started me out with one pill a day, then 2, and eventually three.   I've been on 2 for about  a week and see no improvement at all, and I think I did experience an episode of rapid heartbeat, but nothing constant or dramatic.  I also think i've been sweating at night more than usual.

I tried EVoxac when I first was diagnosed.  Again, I don't know how long it takes to see an improvement in mouth dryness, but I never saw it.  I definitly got the sweats with this one and soaked the bed at night. 

What does one do if neither of these drugs work/ or produced intolerable side effects? 

ohiolady

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 11:53:38 AM »
I remember when I got the insert from my insurance company on Salagen and it said it could take up to 3 months to get the full benefit.  I felt the same way with Evoxac that it worked better after being on it several months.  I remember thinking the same thing, I wished it worked better.  I think with Salagen you can take up to 4 or 5 a day.  Maybe you just need to increase your dose.  I sure hope you get some relief, it is so painful when your mouth is extremely dry.

Anna

Kidney Cancer Survivor   

joschwartz

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 12:06:52 PM »
Three months to get the *full* benefit?  I don't think I'll have a tongue by then and I'm waking up every hour to wet my mouth with something.   I'd be happy seeing ANY benefit.  It's the lack of seeing anything changing that worries me.

ohiolady

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 12:22:52 PM »
At least try increasing your dosage.  I know all about the painful tongue, mine is still cracked but it burned constantly, at first.  Two Salagen or Evoxac were not enough for me.  That is the dose I started on and it didn't make enough difference. 

Anna

Kidney Cancer Survivor   

joschwartz

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 01:16:32 PM »
Anna,

How long was it before you saw ANY change in mouth dryness?

jo

ohiolady

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 02:43:25 PM »
At first, it only provideed enough moisture to swallow food.  I think after about 3 months, I noticed more comfort.  And then, about a year after that, my mouth dryness improved to a greater comfort level.  I have to believe that my Sjogrens improved some at that point.  I don't think it was the Evoxac at that point.  So, there is hope to improve.  In the beginning my dryness was so bad, I had no idea how I could live another 20 years.  I still hate it, but I manage much better now.  I sure wish they would come out with other things to improve our dryness. 

This is off the subject, but I wonder if someday they will be able to regenerate the saliva glands.  I saw where they were working on creating organs from your own stem cells.  We can't give up hoping that things will get better.

Anna

Kidney Cancer Survivor   

lcm

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 12:23:29 PM »
I'm on Salogen and haven't been on the Evoxac, but the salogen seems to help. Originally it was prescribed three times a day but that made my parotid glands hurt more so I take two a day and still ache some but it's a trade off. I wasn't sure it was helping much but my dentist noticed that I wasn't as dry and his instruments didn't stick to my dry mouth last time. I almost decided to stop them until he said I looked better, so sometimes things improve slowly enough that it's hard to notice the difference.

man-with-sjogrens

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 10:01:09 PM »
thanks everyone....i'll report back on the difference (if any) when i try evoxac.

i agree that it is worth trying both because that dry mouth is intolerable.