Author Topic: What kind of rashes do you Sjogren's people have?  (Read 9267 times)

Lesleybird

What kind of rashes do you Sjogren's people have?
« on: June 23, 2009, 11:46:52 PM »
  I was just wondering if any or most of you have skin rashes with your Sjogren's? I have only the SSA (RO) antibody and have read that this is the main antibody in cutaneous lupus (and a good portion of Sjogrens patient's). I have had little red sores about the size of the point of a pencil mainly on my back for a few years now, and a few on my chest. Sometimes they itch and I have my husband put cortisone cream on my back. How many of you have skin rashes? and how many of you do not? I also have a red nose and cheeks (sometimes on the chin) most of the time and the dermatologist does not know is it is an autoimmune rash on the face or rosacia.  Well, I am curious about the rest of you..... got a rash???
                                                                                                                                                                   Lesley

Poochie

Re: What kind of rashes do you Sjogren's people have?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 12:09:53 AM »
If your dermatolgist can't tell you what the rash is, I'd get another dermatologist. 

Persistant skin rashes or red spots should always be investigated.  I would definitely change doctors.

I have Rosecea but it's been under control for years.  I've also had numerous skin problem spots, but they have either been excised or frozen with no further problem. 

If you have something on your skin bothering you to the point of having to use a cream or ointment, it should definitely be seen and taken care of.

Pooh

Tryfan

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 08:43:08 AM »
I'm fairly new to all this so my rashes have not yet found an autoimmune home.....I'm sort of between Sjogrens, Lupus and Antiphospholipid syndrome!  Anyway, I have a malar rash on my face (Lupus?), peculiar tiny red pinpricks on my chest and back (bit like you were describing) and rashes that appear and disappear mysteriously e.g. I had muscle knots between my shoulder blades, put a hot water bottle on the area and a few hours later, I noticed a blotchy red rash appear as if someone had been throwing paint at me which definitely wasn't down to the heat (felt better after rash came out).  Any of this familiar?

dbab

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 10:22:58 AM »
I have lupus too in addition to Sjogren's but I have SCLE (Subacute Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus) which can happen with Sjogren's as well as Lupus (its a subset of SLE so you can have it with or without SLE).  You can google it and see what it looks like.  Some of the pics may be extreme cases.  One of the diagnositc criteria for SCLE is anti-Ro antibodies (I believe).

wordnerd

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 11:33:54 AM »
My whole face has be blotchy bright red lately and kinda warm to the touch.  It looks kinda like a weird sunburn. Mostly on my cheeks though.  Any ideas?

MusicGuy

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 11:41:43 AM »
I think in the past 6 0r 7 years, i've had 3 rashes develop that were slightly red but smooth.  the itching was terrible.  During the course of the rash, it would move to different parts of my body and was ususally symetrical so if it was on my legs, it was both legs in the same area.  The rash episode would last several weeks and at times would keep me awake at night. 

I do have Rosecea on my nose and cheeks.

Dave

missyb

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
I forget what its called but I have had that lacy red skin on my fore arms for a number of years, now it's on the inner thighs.
Once or twice a year I get a raised red stripes down the backs of both arms, and I have had internal hives (under the skin), Lordy, was that miserable.

Katybarstool

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 03:21:12 PM »
Hi

I have a red rash on my cheecks and nose and chin. It gets very ponounced after I have been in the sun. Then I camouflage it with cosmetics.

My chest area is another place where I get  a v shaped rash - nothing to do with sunburn, as it's always there to some extent. When I am stressed or anxious it is very noticeable.

My skin has always been very sensitive. All my life my mum has told me off for scratching myself. I honestly don't think I do scratch more than anyone else, it's just that I mark very easily.  I just have to eat an apple (without chopping it up) and I have a red mark al the way round my mouth.

Kathyx

« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 09:08:28 AM by Katybarstool »

seren

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 05:47:21 PM »
Hello All,

I have rashes too.  I always have rosacea on my nose cheeks and chest to a greater or lesser degree.  I also apparently have 'contact dermatitis' although I have changed soaps & powders etc and its still happens so still not sure what it is ???. I have it on my wrist, shoulder, knuckles (sometimes) shins, elbows and its very itchy.  I have always wondered whether its connected to SjS?

Missyb I believe the lacy rash you mentioned is 'livedo reticularis' ....I do have my uses  ;D

missyb

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 10:00:44 PM »
Seren,
Ding ding ding! LOL Thanks  :D

Epson

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 12:15:17 AM »
I always find it interesting that we seem to have a lot of people with Rosacea, have we been misdiagnosed, do people with Rosacea have more sensitive skin, having more of a propensity towards rashes, or could there be an autoimmune component to Rosacea?

Epson King of rashes

TerriJ

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 10:59:23 AM »
I haven't had any rashes on my face (knock on wood.)  I have had multiple widespread rashes though over the last year that are very itchy.  I have strange red spots on my feet and lower legs.  The dermatologists did a biopsy and it isn't, oh gosh I've drawn a blank, oh...vasculitis.  My skin has become so much more sensitive.  My knees have gotten to the point where they burn no matter what kind of lotion or steroid cream I put on them.  I don't know whether or not any of this is SJS related.

Terri

anita

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 04:14:56 PM »
Lesley,

I have the livedo reticularis rash every place (arms, legs, and both sides of torso), except face...it's just blotchy sometimes.  My doctor tells me that is sometimes found on patients with Sjogren's as well as other AI disease.  It is also a very typical sign of Anitphospholipid syndrome...blood clotting disorder.  I also have these tiny bright red dots that look like freckles...not raised, but permanent.

Anita
50 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (PID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Nitro, Cardizem, Imdur, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Oxycontin, Zofran

Dolly Dimples

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 04:36:20 PM »
  I come out with itchy prickly heat  just hanging out the washing!

The sun just does not like me at all,, Boo hoo!
                                                                         Dolly

hollyvad

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 10:07:59 PM »
I have eczematic rashes that appear on my arms, chest and face.  I was diagnosed with allergies to a whole host of preservatives and other chemicals that have scent just before I was diagnosed with SjS.  These chemicals are found in foods as well.   If I ingest a food containing one of these chemicals, I get the eczema on my face.  It is crazy!